Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26215 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #75 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 3:06pm:

That's rich---YOU, the champion word-twister on this board!  The implication is CLEAR that my reference to the importance of catalogs in research was exactly your reason for using that particular phrase.  If not, why did you bring it up at all, since I neither said nor implied any such thing?  To dismiss the value of catalogs & advertisements in historical research, despite the possibility of errors, is another demonstration of your profound ignorance of this subject.

Well once again your grasp of things amazes me! I did indeed write that, but AGAIN, I never said that you said "catalogs were the end all in answers".
Of course you admit you often reference them, and use them as the definitive final answer on things gun related. Glad you'll at least admit that. But my stating there are occasional errors is once again misconstrued by you to mean they shouldn't be used at all. I never said don't pay attention to catalogs. I simply said they occasionally have errors, so don't consider them the end all for 100% correct data. 
You love to argue. Love to be right all the time. But never admit any chance that your info could be doubted, or suspect. It's always 100% correct if YOU state it. Must be nice to always be right. Or at least think you are.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
You love to argue. 
[/quote]

Richer than rich!  YOU, who won't allow the most trivial, inconsequential, detail that you happen to disagree with pass un-attacked!   

Get yourself a mirror.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #77 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
You love to argue. 

Richer than rich!  YOU, who won't allow the most trivial, inconsequential, detail that you happen to disagree with pass un-attacked!  

Get yourself a mirror.
[/quote]

You wont win this one Red. Your words are here for everyone to see. You have tried to twist what I wrote, but your reasons are obvious. Do you really think I'm the only one who thinks you always have to be right? Others wont tell you because they don't need to be attacked by you.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:49pm:

You wont win this one Red. Your words are here for everyone to see.

I stand by every one of them!  And though I don't know what "winning" is supposed to mean, if it means earning the approbation of others as ignorant as yourself of the recognized standards & procedures of historical research, I can do without it.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #79 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:43pm:

I stand by every one of them!  And though I don't know what "winning" is supposed to mean, if it means earning the approbation of others as ignorant as yourself of the recognized standards & procedures of historical research, I can do without it.  

Don't sell yourself short Red! I'm sure you have an idea of what "winning" is, since you try so often to win every subject that you've ever been involved in here. So NO, it seems you can't "do without it".

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:10pm:

Don't sell yourself short Red! I'm sure you have an idea of what "winning" is, since you try so often to win every subject that you've ever been involved in here. So NO, it seems you can't "do without it".

Whereas YOU back away from a dispute, because you don't care at all about "winning," as you call it?  Yes, we've all observed how frequently that occurs--like right now!  But if your definition of "winning" actually meant success in expressing a position in the most rational & logical language possible, then I do care.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #81 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:22pm:
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:10pm:

Whereas YOU back away from a dispute, because you don't care at all about "winning," as you call it?  Yes, we've all observed how frequently that occurs--like right now!  But if your definition of "winning" actually meant success in expressing a position in the most rational & logical language possible, then I do care.   

Make up your mind Red! Either you don't care, or you do? Which is it? I can answer that for you. You care more than anything, and thus you'll continue this dialogue as long as I keep feeding you!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:03pm:

Make up your mind Red! Either you don't care, or you do? Which is it? I can answer that for you. You care more than anything, and thus you'll continue this dialogue as long as I keep feeding you!

Or vice versa?   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #83 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Oh I'm having a great time! Seems you'd just as soon go back and forth about anything, even if it's way off track from your original BS. But that just falls in line with your desire to argue, and get the last word in! But maybe that's your idea of "winning", since you stated you didn't know what "winning" was. I can help you out with your psychological issues, and unwillingness to admit to it.
Come on Red, I know you got more in ya!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:14pm:
Oh I'm having a great time! Seems you'd just as soon go back and forth about anything, even if it's way off track from your original BS.

"Original BS?" Who, besides you, thinks that's what it was?   

I'm having a great time, too; but I wouldn't be doing it for "anything"...only for something as important as showing this Board's resident bully he's not "the boss."

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #85 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I can't play any more tonight. Bedtime, and I'll have to wait until morning to continue. I know it will be tough for you, and you've stayed up very late to get the last word in. But I'll have to stop playing with you now, and hope you can wait until morning for another response to your silliness.

PS-Boy you really showed me! Not sure what, but boy you really showed something?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:15am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:07am:
I can't play any more tonight. Bedtime, and I'll have to wait until morning to continue. I know it will be tough for you, and you've stayed up very late to get the last word in.

Uh, sorry to disappoint you, but no--it was to watch King Solomon's Mines on TCM (the 4th or 5th time), & especially to see the original Hotchkiss Sporting Rifle prominently featured therein. 

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Did any of you wranglers bother to read Dellet's link:

This guy is/was the Chicopee town historian.  Is that not good enough?

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:24am:
Did any of you wranglers bother to read Dellet's link:

Of course! I already tried to contact this man with the hope of obtaining a copy of that 1942 "Stevens history" he mentioned, which seems to be the source of his Stevens info, but he now resides in Florida.  The Chicopee HS has no independent website or phone number that I could find, only a Face Book page, which I can't access.  Dellet, a far more skilled internet investigator than myself, kindly agreed to try making contact with someone in the Society for this purpose.  Rather surprising that Grant, Cope, etc., never, as far as I know, mentioned this document, if it's been around since '42.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Speaking of catalogs, I can remember in the seventies when Winchester came out with the Super X1.  The catalog I had, said it would also be out shortly in 3 inch.  Several years later I was still waiting and no  3 inch. They never did producer the Super X1 in 3 inch but there it was in the catalog.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Send TopicPrint