Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26177 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #60 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 7:24pm:
Redsetter, In YOUR opinion Kimmel doesn't hold any weight. In your opinion Grant also doesn't.

Only someone with seriously impaired faculties for logical reasoning could arrive at such an idiotically absurd distortion of my criticism, in which ANY reputable historian would unquestionably concur!  The universal & invariable RULE of reputable historiography is "identify the source" of whatever facts are being asserted--which is usually EASY to do in a few words, merely by inserting a phrase like "according to...," reported in...", or the like.  It's accepted that Popes may speak ex cathedra, but not historical researchers.  Your ignorance of this fundamental principal of historical research should speak for itself, except among other ignoramuses sharing the idea that, "what's commonly believed MUST be factual, or why would so many believe it?"  What's commonly believed may very well be factual, but without knowledge of the original sources for that belief, how can it's validity possibly be tested?  

But for setting up straw-men, your talent is exceptional.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
Agree Bob.
Ignore all bias for the moment, and consider eye witness accounts... put three people on a street corner and have them witness the exact same event... then, without allowing them to talk to one another, record what they say they have witnessed... you'll often get three different recorded "statements" of the same event.
Then later, along comes a "historian" with their own personal "assumptions" that do incorporate their own developed personal biases... and what the "historian" then "claims" to be "probable" actually becomes quite questionable... and debatable.

There is a historical sign at the Weatherby Rest Stop on I-84 between Ontario and Baker, Oregon.  It quotes the diary of Abigail Scott to came west in 1852. It tells how 3 year old Willie got Cholera and the doctor said he probably would not live to see the morning sun.  She tells how they buried Little Willie on the hill above the trail but could not linger.  They had to get through the Blues before the season's snow started. 

Probably a true and accurate account. Too bad there aren't more. 

I found the quote. See how memories mess up the details?

"Last night, our darling Willie was called from earth, to vie with angels around the throne of God. He was buried today upon an elevated point, one hundred and fifty feet above the plain in a spot of sweet seclusion. A beautiful cedar, the only tree in sight, waves its wide spread branches over his tomb. My father carved Willie’s name into the tree. Here, beneath its share, I have wandered in remote seclusion to be alone with Willie and his God. He was four years of age. Before his illness, he talked of dying, and wanted to die and meet his mother, who doted upon him. We shall lay by this day to recruit our cattle, as they are much jaded and in want of rest. We too are worn down with fatigue and long watching, and need rest. Father is still feeble, but is slowly improving. Our sick man is no better and but little hopes are entertained for his recovery."
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2018 at 8:47pm by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 8:17pm:
....It's accepted that Popes may speak ex cathedra, but not historical researchers.  Your ignorance of this fundamental principal of historical research should speak for itself, except among other ignoramuses sharing the idea that, "what's commonly believed MUST be factual, or why would so many believe it?"....

Since you're able to speak on matters of faith, is it okay to have faith in Water's work. Or, is it a half decent idea to cross check it with other published data? Straw-men aside, doesn't it seem like absolutes drift back and forth with the wind?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I have the book by Harold E Strong: " A History & Digest of The J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, manufacturing of Fine Single-Shot Target and Sporting Rifles, Single-Shot Pistols, Shotguns, Sights etc. Fine Mechanical Tools " is there something specific that might be in this book that might prove to be helpful? 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:05pm:
[quote author=1C2B2A3D2B3A3A2B3C4E0 link=1534525550/62#62 date=1534724262]
Since you're able to speak on matters of faith, is it okay to have faith in Water's work. Or, is it a half decent idea to cross check it with other published data? 

I previously SAID that I did:  Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Even Ken's data I crosscheck with some other reference, usually the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook; but Pet Loads is where I always start.   

So would it be asking TOO much to request that you base your statements on what I actually said? Making-up false assertions to attribute to me is Marlinguy's specialty! 

I'd also appreciate your referring me to the post in which I claimed to be able to speak on matters of faith.    
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:01am by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:23pm:
I have the book by Harold E Strong: " A History & Digest of The J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, manufacturing of Fine Single-Shot Target and Sporting Rifles, Single-Shot Pistols, Shotguns, Sights (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Fine Mechanical Tools " is there something specific that might be in this book that might prove to be helpful? 

JLouis

Never heard of it; but since you've got the book, tell us what you think.  Surely you remember not too many weeks ago when a great hue & cry was raised about the "Stevens book" many have been clamoring for.  In fact, several different members were proposed to do the job!  (Strangely, no one then brought up Jay Kimmel's book, which Marlinguy has implied is "the answer" we've been waiting for.)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #66 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
So the fact that Grant was alive at the time of these happenings isn't good enough for you. You still amaze me. 
Go ahead and make yourself the expert on everything gun related, and expect whatever you post to be believed because you saw it in a catalog or in some old gun magazine. You constantly mention both sources to legitimize things you've posted, and yet in your explanation we shouldn't rely on written sources unless there's another back up document.
Funny how you use the same argument to deny things, and support things.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:56am:
So the fact that Grant was alive at the time of these happenings isn't good enough for you. You still amaze me. 
Go ahead and make yourself the expert on everything gun related, and expect whatever you post to be believed because you saw it in a catalog or in some old gun magazine. You constantly mention both sources to legitimize things you've posted, and yet in your explanation we shouldn't rely on written sources unless there's another back up document.
Funny how you use the same argument to deny things, and support things.

Funny how it's beyond your intellectual ability to grasp the most fundamental principals of reliable research.  A company catalog or advertisement is not a credible research tool???  In many cases, such evidence is the ONLY evidence that has survived!

Hundreds of people were "alive" to witness, for ex., the Kennedy assassination; how many of them agreed on what happened?  So, no, being "alive" is NOT enough, unless the researcher himself claims to have been at the scene of the event in question, or talked to reliable witnesses who were...in which case it would be a simple matter to say so explicitly!  Why, in that case, would one NOT say so explicitly???  Even if the witnesses do not agree on all the alleged facts, at least the source of your information will be made clear.  Must be some local college not far from your location--why don't you pay its history dept. a visit, & run the "being alive" theory by some faculty member?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #68 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
No catalogs are not always good resources. Surprised again that you hold such high regard in catalogs, as there are numerous cases where catalogs have proven to show models or features that were dropped after catalogs were printed, so the info in them can be incorrect. They certainly aren't the end all for information.

That's the stupidest example I've ever seen used. Yes, plenty of folks were around for the Kennedy assassination, but I doubt that means anyone truly knows how it went down to 100% accuracy. 
But since it was seen by so many I'd guess you'd argue Kennedy might not be dead, wasn't shot in Dallas, or we aren't sure it was really JFK in the car. After all it's only hear say according to your way of seeing things.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Probably one of the best examples of "corrected history" is the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

For more than 100 years there was an accepted version of the battle. Interestingly enough that version ignored many eyewitness accounts, simply because they came from the Indians. 

After the fire in 1983, the history was basically re-written based on archaeological evidence, and to the surprise of many, closely followed the narrative of many of the Indians who were present. Shocked

So in my mind, it's perfectly acceptable to question contemporary accounts that have long been accepted as fact. 

If the building housing the records burned, there is probably a record of it, possibly obscure. If it was a janitor burning a bunch of papers his boss handed him, there might be a story in someones family history. If it was a bunch of executives around a barrel a day before leaving town, good luck proving it.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:23am:
No catalogs are not always good resources. Surprised again that you hold such high regard in catalogs, as there are numerous cases where catalogs have proven to show models or features that were dropped after catalogs were printed, so the info in them can be incorrect. They certainly aren't the end all for information.

Yet again, your standard tactic of putting words into my mouth I NEVER said!  "The end all for information"?  Who said that?  Certainly not me!  I said:   

Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:38am:
In many cases, such evidence is the ONLY evidence that has survived!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  

That's the stupidest example I've ever seen used. Yes, plenty of folks were around for the Kennedy assassination, but I doubt that means anyone truly knows how it went down to 100% accuracy. 
But since it was seen by so many I'd guess you'd argue Kennedy might not be dead, wasn't shot in Dallas, or we aren't sure it was really JFK in the car. After all it's only hear say according to your way of seeing things.

Good point Vall, The Warren Commission's objective was to make sure the American people did not demand retaliation against Cuba and ultimately the USSR.  They did not believe the death of a president was worth nuclear war.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #72 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:56am:

Yet again, your standard tactic of putting words into my mouth I NEVER said!  "The end all for information"?  Who said that?  Certainly not me!  I said:  

Redsetter wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:38am:
In many cases, such evidence is the ONLY evidence that has survived!

Show me where I said you said catalogs were "the end all"? More BS by you, and attempts to twist my words. But you have on numerous occasions used old catalogs as "proof" that something was done. When in fact old catalogs are not 100% proof of anything without other evidence, as you've pointed out on numerous occasions. The only time they're 100% is when you provide that info.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 2:23pm:

Show me where I said you said catalogs were "the end all"? More BS by you, and attempts to twist my words.

That's rich---YOU, the champion word-twister on this board!  The implication is CLEAR that my reference to the importance of catalogs in research was exactly your reason for using that particular phrase.  If not, why did you bring it up at all, since I neither said nor implied any such thing?  To dismiss the value of catalogs & advertisements in historical research, despite the possibility of errors, is another demonstration of your profound ignorance of this subject.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
craigd wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
At this point, I'd never take a Pet Load as a primary load source, but I followed those columns for years and like looking back at them.

Why not?  What source would be more reliable, unless you suspect Ken was "making it up"? His personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab.

It ain't no big deal Redsetter, but no it's not too much for you to ask me to base my statements on what you actually said. Did I ever get bent out of shape for you putting words in my mouth such as suspecting 'Ken was making it up'? Waters articles or Roberts/Donaldson personality hiccups aren't the point, only the changing standards of 'historical research'.

If you look at your answer here, it has the look to me like you don't seem to hold to your lectures about historical research and rigid methods, which relates directly to my faith comment. It seems if you have faith in something, it's good enough, but I quoted my perception of you referencing faith in a disingenuous way to belittle the way some folks interpret what they read.

If you actually read my comments instead of assigning motives, all they come down to is me being thankful that writings were published, even if the vetting wasn't strictly by some guideline.

There are many examples of reference books that are the result of meticulous research. Some authors are much better than others, and there are some publish addendums and other corrections in subsequent book form. I think it shouldn't be forgotten that the audience for these subjects is so limited, that these books come up because of authors' passion and not for the money.

It's okay in my mind for a reader to question and have the passion to seek correction, but the reader has the luxury of minimal investment. Would it have been better to not have the book in the first place? I bet if the authors of the past had digitized archives to search, their books would've turned out different, but just a little. So many of the writings are the only record remaining for a particular topic or event, and as I've mentioned maybe they can be appreciated as better than nothing, because no one has the passion to publish corrections and sources are long gone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Send TopicPrint