Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26205 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #45 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
BP wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
What source(s) are you referring to, Redsetter, when you state Waters "personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab."  ?
Have you actually contacted and spoken with any ballistics labs techs, and if so, who were they and where did they work, and what data did they provide to you that allowed you to make your statement about Waters?

My "sources" are the HUNDREDS of articles on reloading, guns, & shooting written by him for diverse publications over a period of around 50 yrs.  Can you name any lab technician who's written a technical work comparable in scope to Pet Loads, earning the highest respect from everyone of note in the shooting world, & being also the man chosen by Ned Roberts to co-author one of the most important books ever published on SSs?  And you'd compare an anonymous lab tech to such a man?  

Unless you doubt that he knew how to operate a chronograph accurately, & from long practical experience knew how to interpret the visual indicators of excessive pressure, why would you rate the results of a lab as being in some way superior to his?

I enjoyed how you chose to evade directly answering my questions, Redsetter.
Did Phil Sharpe ever work in a ballistics lab?
So, you haven't actually contacted any ballistics labs techs to see how many shots they've fired over a specific period of time... and instead you're using books and articles... that may contain errors... to promulgate a claim that may be erroneous... which may be carried onward into the future... becoming an old error... which could... "seldom, if ever, die" ?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
As far as I can tell, Ned Roberts' too-hot loads for Schuetzens first appeared in the 1940-41 edition of Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading.  At Sharpe's request, Roberts wrote the chapter on Schuetzen rifles.  The chapter is not in the much more common 1937 edition.  I didn't get a copy of the 40/41 edition until about 2005, but when I looked at the loads for the .28-30, my thoughts were  "those are bloody dangerous".   

The same loads were reproduced in the Ken Waters / Ned Roberts 1968 book on Schuetzen rifles.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm:

I enjoyed how you chose to evade directly answering my questions, Redsetter.

How much MORE direct to your question about my "sources" than the answer I provided?  Ken's many articles do not constitute "sources"?  Hope I've increased your "enjoyment."

Of course, Sharpe carried out ballistics experiments, though probably not so many as Ned Crossman (with the backing of the US Army), but who (except maybe someone advancing a specious argument) would place them in the category of "lab technicians"?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
One would think the fire would be mentioned in at least in local newspapers.

Yes...unless management was at the time trying to avoid drawing attention to their scurrilous activities.  Worth looking into the possibility that the chief local paper has put their archives on line (assuming that paper is still in business), but most small papers can't afford the expense.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #49 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:05pm:
marlinguy wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:10am:

As usual you seem to have a way of never believing anything unless you stated it as fact. I have neither the time or inclination to argue this with you, or look up research for you. I'm sure if I posted it you'd still find some way to say that also wasn't a reliable source.

And as usual, you demonstrate again that your conception of documentation, independently verifiable proof of some kind, is what you & your friends have always believed to be true, & how DARE anyone ask where you obtained that information!

Really wouldn't matter to you anyway. I gave you a source and you still question it. And by the way, Jay Kimmel is not my friend, nor do I know him. His work is highly regarded by Savage and Stevens collectors. But I could care less if you believe him, or me. In fact I could care less what you write here. You're a knowledgeable guy Redsetter, but you're so full of yourself that anything anyone writes you wont believe. Even when you ask for a source you still find a reason not to believe it.
I have no inclination to gather further sources, as proving anything to you is impossible when you continue to not accept the source provided. If I posted the findings of the Congressional investigation you'd want me to bring the witnesses here to tell you, and then you'd ask for their documentation.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #50 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm:
I would suggest that the fire that destroyed the records of Stevens Arms was the opening salvo of the Russian political assault on our nation. It was the collusion between Westinghouse and those who toppled the Czar.

If someone really wanted to verify the fire a good place to start would be the Chicopee Fall historical society. Putting a time and date on the event and searching news of the time would not be that difficult. Searching New England Westinghouse would likely bring better results.

Quote:
The history of the Westinghouse Co. claims that the surplus weapons were sold to the British. When the war ended, military arms glutted the world market and manufacturers unloaded surplus into the black market, frequently selling to the highest bidder. 

The U.S. Congress launched several inquiries into wartime profiteering as well as an investigation of the companies’ close ties to the czarist government. 

In Chicopee Falls, a major fire destroyed most of the wartime records of the Stevens company immediately following word that congressional staffers were coming to Western Massachusetts. Several company executives were relocated, and that was just about the time the baron and baroness of Chicopee Falls left for greener pastures.

Russian collusion 

Grin

Yes, Westinghouse had taken over Stevens Arms Co. during WWI and it is during their ownership that the war profiteering took place. Savage later purchased Stevens, and were the owners during the Congressional investigation, but the officers from the Stevens/Westinghouse period still were in their former positions. So they were simply whisked away to the West to ensure they could not be available to answer questions from Congress.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:25pm:

If I posted the findings of the Congressional investigation you'd want me to bring the witnesses here to tell you, and then you'd ask for their documentation.

Yet again, by your reference to the "popularity" of Kimmel's book--that being the most utterly irrelevant consideration that could be named--you demonstrate your misunderstanding of the nature of the methods of historical research; whereas, the published report of a Congressional committee WOULD constitute exactly the kind of verifiable documentation I was referring to; but YOU obviously recognize no significant difference between the two kinds of evidence, proving my point better than I could explain it myself.

I have no idea what Kimmel has to say about the events in question; perhaps he does provide unquestionable documentation, citing Congressional reports, local newspaper stories, etc.  But instead of citing such evidence to explain why you & others regard his work as reliable, you indulge in a personal attack on me!  (As, incidentally, you've done several times in the past, when asked to provide the evidence for a given conclusion.)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:39pm:
marlinguy wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 8:25pm:

If I posted the findings of the Congressional investigation you'd want me to bring the witnesses here to tell you, and then you'd ask for their documentation.

....your reference to the "popularity"....

....that being the most utterly irrelevant consideration that could be named--you demonstrate your misunderstanding of the nature of the methods of historical research; whereas, the published report of a Congressional committee WOULD constitute exactly the kind of verifiable documentation I was referring to; but YOU obviously recognize no significant difference between the two kinds of evidence, proving my point....

To me, some of the most interesting parts of American history were out on the frontier. The buffalo and fur trade, and westward travelers and explorers. If it weren't for second hand accounts and hearsay, all that would be left of that period would be ledgers from a small hand full of companies and Army outposts. Have you seen the maps drawn by the Lewis and Clark expedition? The Sharps rifle is legendary mainly because of verbal stories that were jotted down later.

The great British single shot and double rifles used in Africa became known through personal accounts with very few even pictures in the earlier days. Should these things be lost forever because the events could not be proven in a modern court of law? So much historical American single shot 'verified' facts come from old company advertising and newspaper articles. I'd hope that could remain at least, better than nothing.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:21pm:
To me, some of the most interesting parts of American history were out on the frontier. The buffalo and fur trade, and westward travelers and explorers. If it weren't for second hand accounts and hearsay, all that would be left of that period would be ledgers from a small hand full of companies and Army outposts.

Not sure what you mean by "second hand accounts and hearsay."  Travelers, soldiers, explorers, some of the literate hunters & trappers,, left REAMS of letters, diaries, & sometimes published books, such as The Oregon Trail, by the great historian Francis Parkman (which nobody who reads it EVER forgets). Guaranteed "best sellers" were the first-hand narratives of whites captured by Indians, who later escaped. Pioneers traveling West by wagon-train almost always wrote detailed descriptions of their travels to relatives back home, & although much has been lost, a tremendous amount of this material has survived. Frank Meyer, & a few other buffalo hunters, wrote detailed accounts of their trade.  All these are primary sources, not hearsay.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:56pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:50pm:
....letters, diaries, & sometimes published books....

....Guaranteed "best sellers" were the first-hand narratives....

....wrote detailed descriptions....

....wrote detailed accounts of their trade....

It could be that "best sellers" are the most popular? That and the rest could be very detailed, but in the end just ole time facebook. Then again, the only things that might be independently verifiable may be log entries such as, purchase orders, sales, rosters?

Only thoughts, but thank goodness for the 'primary sources', even if we'll never known if some of them were written with bias. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:16am:
Only thoughts, but thank goodness for the 'primary sources', even if we'll never known if some of them were written with bias. 

The historian's assumption is, or should be, that some degree of bias, incomplete or selective knowledge, poor recollection, etc. is almost inherent in "eye-witness" reports--which is why experienced detectives don't trust them without corroboration when investigating a crime.  If possible, a conscientious historian would compare all related personal anecdotes & whatever other evidence is available, to try to arrive at the most probable deduction about what actually happened.   

So-called "oral history" is even more unreliable, because it's usually based on long, long-ago memories, unsupported by written documents (or it wouldn't be "oral").  This I learned personally while still in Junior H.S., when I talked as often as I could with "old people" about old guns, old cars, & other old stuff (because even then, new stuff didn't much interest me), learning much later, through reading, that much of what I'd been told was badly distorted, if not pure bunk.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
"learning much later, through reading, that much of what I'd been told was badly distorted, if not pure bunk."

Lots of newspaper articles, books, ect are written with a personal bias and errors.  Who really knows what is the truth?   Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Agree Bob.
Ignore all bias for the moment, and consider eye witness accounts... put three people on a street corner and have them witness the exact same event... then, without allowing them to talk to one another, record what they say they have witnessed... you'll often get three different recorded "statements" of the same event.
Then later, along comes a "historian" with their own personal "assumptions" that do incorporate their own developed personal biases... and what the "historian" then "claims" to be "probable" actually becomes quite questionable... and debatable.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Who really knows what is the truth?    

The Shadow knows. Grin

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #59 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Redsetter, In YOUR opinion Kimmel doesn't hold any weight. In your opinion Grant also doesn't. His books were mentioned as another source of the same info, and you said "he never mentioned his source".
So nothing is good enough for you. Even though Grant published his books a mere 20 or so years after the fire at Stevens, and the Congressional Investigations. So Grant was alive when the fire took place, and likely had first hand knowledge, since he was a gun enthusiast and single shot collector long before he wrote his books. But of course it doesn't fit your needs, so lets poo poo Grant until his work fits your needs.

You still amaze me at the lengths you'll go to deny things others post. I'm sure it's very important for you to always be right. So tell yourself that all sources are unreliable to you, and you'll always be correct!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Send TopicPrint