Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26197 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I think it was in the Single Shot Breech Loading Rifle by Water's and Robert's or something to that effect. When I moved a short time back my books are still in a state of where in the hell are they all now and just not in the mood to try and sort it all out currently. Actually quite surprised someone like 40Rod hasn't chimed in? to save me all the time and effort.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Humm did you say writer or rider if the later I think it was Charlie Sheen who could have made it to finals and taken the all around.

JLouis

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I seem to recall this 32/40 loading being in an old Lyman Manuel, it was a very stiff charge of unique.   Ledball

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Paul you may indeed be correct and I am a bit surprised that no one else is apparently aware of it having taken place? 

JLouis

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
John, there was a guy in California that bought a Hi Wall in 32-40. He was not an experienced Shooter or Re- loader. He picked a Load out of a Old Lyman Hand Book that came with the Rifle. I do not remember the Lyman Number. But I did have it, can not find it now. May not have it due to the House Fire in 1991. We were using the old Schuetzen site at the time.
The Rifle was minty shape standard Sporting model. First shot
Disassembled it. He was shooting from his cellar out a Window.
Probably what gave him some protection as the whole front end was outside. It was a small shank Hi wall. The barrel was about 75 Yards outside down range as I remember. I looked up the load and it was a gross error. The load was a case full of some very fast powder. Do you remember that? Seemed to me we discussed it. Well I looked in my loading area, could not find it. But it was a printed load. Any one with experience would have shied away from it. All for now FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:32pm:

Many have read or heard it, but what is the original source of that info?  A public announcement by Stevens, or more likely, Savage, after their purchase of the company?  

The Stevens fire is real and has been well documented in books about Stevens whenever the subject of Stevens records for serial numbers is discussed. It's also been documented in the government investigation for war profiting after WWI, so not just a myth.
Besides the timely circumstance of the fire, Stevens also cleverly made all their upper management "unavailable" to testify at the Congressional hearings that were held. They sent all their upper management to the West Coast for almost two years until the investigation was wrapped up.
This might seem like an insignificant attempt to withhold testimony today, since we have so much accessibility today to electronic devices to record interviews. But in the 1920's this actually worked and no Stevens upper management ever testified.
Jay Kimmel goes into great detail in his history of Savage-Stevens Firearms. I've read it elsewhere, but can't cite you the other source without looking through my firearms library.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I can recall a grade school teacher defining history as a subjective record of the past. It's likely a very good thing if verifiable and factual corrections become available, but I think the risk would be much more would be lost than incorrect, if perfect accuracy was demanded. At this point, I'd never take a Pet Load as a primary load source, but I followed those columns for years and like looking back at them.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I never take any source for load data as a primary source! I try to double and triple check load data before using it.
Now data gathered from friends I know well, and have used it for years will be more likely to be used without multiple checks. I trust my good friends a lot more than printed data.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Fitz / Old Tuck now that you mention it I do recall it and more than likely it is the collectable Rifle I have been thinking about. The source is what has me confused for some reason my head keeps telling me it was somehow Robert's or Water's related and I could be dead wrong. Can't thank you enough for speaking up Fitz and thank you so very much for refreshing that part of my memory it does go back quite a few years from then to now that's for sure.

JLouis

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
"When the legend becomes fact, we print the legend."  Substitute whatever word you want for "legend" and you have via a John Ford script line the essence of what's being discussed here.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Val I can find no fault in trusting friends who have been actively involved for years on end. That is exactly how I got my start it never came out of a book and I never had a reason to question their knowledge my being as dumb as a rock at that point in time. I hooked up with my very dear friend Barry Darr a complete stranger at the time and it is he who has helped me to accomplish all of the extremely high and seemingly impossible goals I have always set for myself. 

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I've seen a lot of load data in the old Ideal/Lyman manuals that looks like it came right out of Phil Sharpe's reloading data.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:23pm:

The Stevens fire is real and has been well documented in books about Stevens whenever the subject of Stevens records for serial numbers is discussed. It's also been documented in the government investigation for war profiting after WWI, so not just a myth.

Never said it was a myth--merely asked WHERE is the documentation?  Publishing a widely held belief is not documentation. The official report of a gov't investigation would be an example of reliable documentation, but what is the name of that report & when was it published?  If Kimmel doesn't name it, & say that he has dug it out of the national archives to read with his own eyes, he has done no more than report hearsay.    

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:06pm:
"When the legend becomes fact, we print the legend."  Substitute whatever word you want for "legend" and you have via a John Ford script line the essence of what's being discussed here.

Bill Lawrence

That, I confess, I don't quite follow.  Nothing pertaining to Ned's military career, or lack thereof, is well enough known to constitute any sort of "legend."  Even on this highly specialized forum, few know more than the skimpiest details of his life & career.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
At this point, I'd never take a Pet Load as a primary load source, but I followed those columns for years and like looking back at them.

Why not?  What source would be more reliable, unless you suspect Ken was "making it up"? His personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint