Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26221 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #90 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:24am:
Did any of you wranglers bother to read Dellet's link:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This guy is/was the Chicopee town historian.  Is that not good enough?

Yes I read it. But as I've said numerous times, Redsetter wont believe it, and instead of reading it and accepting it, he's trying to find the historian in an attempt to refute it. 
That's exactly what I said he'd do earlier, and it is what he'll do to ensure he wont have to accept what I said about the war profiteering and the fire at Stevens.
Any surprises there?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:30am:
Yes I read it. But as I've said numerous times, Redsetter wont believe it, and instead of reading it and accepting it, he's trying to find the historian in an attempt to refute it. 
That's exactly what I said he'd do earlier, and it is what he'll do to ensure he wont have to accept what I said about the war profiteering and the fire at Stevens.
Any surprises there?

Your viciousness is no surprise; it's your calling-card.  Who with an interest in Stevens history would not wish to learn the contents of this 1942 document, whatever it is, & how else to obtain it but through the (only) individual who reported it?    

Here is what I previously said:  Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
Never said it was a myth--merely asked WHERE is the documentation?  Publishing a widely held belief is not documentation. The official report of a gov't investigation would be an example of reliable documentation, but what is the name of that report & when was it published?    

Now who among you will agree with Mr. Spitefulness that the above statement constitutes a denial of anything?  And who among you with genuine historical curiosity would not wish to get to the bottom of how the events in question were first reported?   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #92 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Yours is not an attempt to "get to the bottom of it". It's an attempt to deny it happened, and simply because you still wont say you were wrong. Nothing vicious at all, but it seems (as I said) that once you state something is unproven, you'll never accept evidence to support otherwise, or admit you were wrong. Calling me "vicious" or a "bully" because I believe my information is correct is unfair. But you do this to deflect or change the subject when you know you're wrong.
I'm OK with that, as it fits every discussion we've ever had here on ASSRA, and I doubt you'll ever change.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #93 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:36am:
Yours is not an attempt to "get to the bottom of it". It's an attempt to deny it happened, and simply because you still wont say you were wrong.

Wrong about believing that it's always good to have as much documentary evidence about an historical event as it's possible to obtain?  That, in fact, there's no such thing as "too much" evidence?  No, I'm NOT wrong about that, & challenge you to find ANY professional historian who agrees with you, not me. Who else here agrees that it's "wrong" to continue searching for information not previously made public?  Please speak up.

Not one iota of evidence, not one previous statement of mine, exists to support Mr. Spitefulness' assertion of an "attempt to deny it happened."  Is "never said it was a myth" beyond the comprehension of anyone else here?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #94 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
You found reasons to not believe Kimmel's info. You found reason not to believe Grant's books. Then you found reason not to believe the article from the Chicopee Falls historian that Dellet linked.
Questioning a single source, or my statement about the fire and war profiteering is reasonable. But when you continue to question every source provided you become something other beyond "ANY professional historian". You become a spiteful skeptic who's looking for reasons not to accept data provided.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:44am:
You found reasons to not believe Kimmel's info. You found reason not to believe Grant's books. Then you found reason not to believe the article from the Chicopee Falls historian that Dellet linked.

Your lies. Characterizing a search to find definitive evidence as "disbelief" demonstrates the superficiality of your thinking. Such an attitude on the part of professional historians would mean that all research on subjects & events previously written about would come to an end; instead, events that have already been researched intensely & made the subjects of countless good books continue to be examined by subsequent historians; it's the way historiography is supposed to work.

All the "trouble" that would have been required of Grant & the others is identification of their original sources--briefly disclosing how they knew what they knew.  Who else believes that to be an unreasonable burden on the part of the writer?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #96 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Might not the information be found in the Library of Congress and just a thought.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:01pm:
Might not the information be found in the Library of Congress and just a thought.

The investigation should certainly be there, but in all honesty information on that is not all that easy to find either. Knowing the name or number or even date of the report would be very helpful.

Everyone seems to know it happened, but I have not really seen a reference to an actual document.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #98 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:13pm:

The investigation should certainly be there, but in all honesty information on that is not all that easy to find either. Knowing the name or number or even date of the report would be very helpful.

Everyone seems to know it happened, but I have not really seen a reference to an actual document.

If we could have discovered a precise date for the fire, then I'm sure old newspapers archived in Chicopee Falls museum records could be referenced to discover articles about the fire.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #99 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:31pm:

If we could have discovered a precise date for the fire, then I'm sure old newspapers archived in Chicopee Falls museum records could be referenced to discover articles about the fire.

I was speaking more of information on the investigation itself, those references are lacking. If you can narrow down the investigation time, I think 1922, you could have a start.

To add to the confusion, one reference I found indicated the records did not burn, they were mostly water damaged. That would indicate a bigger fire.

I will try to post a link to that later.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #100 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
The investigation should certainly be there, but in all honesty information on that is not all that easy to find either. 

It isn't.  I know several extremely dedicated researchers working dilegently to investigate the sniper rifles of WWI.  All the records of purchases by USMC & the Army of scopes & other sniper eqpt., the rifles they were mounted on, repairs & modifications, exist (theoretically) on paper somewhere, but digging them out has been a lifetime's work for these guys because such records were filed not only in DC, but in archives all over the country.  None of this material is on-line as many seem to think almost everything now is--it's stored in boxes that haven't been touched by anyone in decades, & must be shuffled through page by page.

Many good books have already been published on sniper rifles & eqpt, so some (I guess) would say to these guys "why do you keep wasting your time & a LOT of money on this research?"

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  

II. Thou shalt avoid self-conscious discussion of thy intended purposes, thy strategy, thy sources, and thy research methodology.

Draw your reader’s attention to the points you are making, not to yourself and all the misery and sweat of your process of research and writing. Keep the focus on what you have to say, not on the question of how you hope to develop and say it. Do not parade around in your mental underwear. Show only the well-pressed and well-shined final product.

Avoid self-conscious-sounding phrases such as: “now let us turn to”; “I will demonstrate that”; “now we see that”; even “I think that”, or (even worse) “I feel that”.

Avoid use of first person.

If you must discuss methodology, do it in a preface; discussing sources is fine, but in a bibliographical essay.

Phrases that tell your reader explicitly what you intend to do or to do next, or that tell explicitly where to see emphasis, are crutches. They indicate weaknesses in your paper’s implicit development and emphasis.

The above does not mean that you offer the reader no cues and clues. Yes, it is important, in the opening paragraph or two of a paper or a section, to lay out the essential question(s) you will address and often to hint at the answers you may find. But do it artistically, not with a heavy hand.

In the cases of historiographical papers and book reviews you may of course discuss sources. Those cases are exceptions. There may be other exceptions.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #102 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:39pm:

I was speaking more of information on the investigation itself, those references are lacking. If you can narrow down the investigation time, I think 1922, you could have a start.

To add to the confusion, one reference I found indicated the records did not burn, they were mostly water damaged. That would indicate a bigger fire.

Wish I could recall the date I read somewhere, but think it was a bit later than 1922 for the investigation. At the time it seemed a long time after the war ended, and I wondered why the Congress took so long to investigate War profiteering in WWI?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  

A "precise date" makes the search much easier of course, but an approximate date is close enough if you're willing to sit for hours, or if necessary, days (as I have on numerous occasions) hunched over a microfilm reader (one, usually, that you can expect to break down or overheat every few minutes.)  If these newspapers have been preserved, it will be on microfilm or microfiche, unless those records have more recently been transferred to some other media--a very expensive process.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #104 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Dellet wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:39pm:

Wish I could recall the date I read somewhere, but think it was a bit later than 1922 for the investigation. At the time it seemed a long time after the war ended, and I wondered why the Congress took so long to investigate War profiteering in WWI?

There was in investigation in 1934-6 that dealt more with accusations of the U.S. entering WWI for profit, and protecting our investment of materials and money loaned to England, the Nye Commission. It possibly could have been part of that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Send TopicPrint