Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 23929 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
even when facts that clearly refute them have also been published.  The difference lies in how the correction to the original error was published--more often than not in a periodical of some kind, rather than another book, because such a correction just would not be worth the expense of book-publication. But whereas books have an indefinite lifespan, centuries perhaps, periodicals usually become, after a short time, difficult to access, if they don't disappear entirely.

What this generalization specifically pertains to is the discussion in the "Photos" section of Ned Robert's military career, where I and several others noted that the title of "Major" was honorary, not a genuine military rank.  That part of the story IS true, but not the part about his having had no true military service, as reported by his close friend Harvey Donaldson, who, seemingly, was in a position to know.

That claim appeared in Harve's very well known & widely read Yours Truly, published after his death by Wolfe Pub. Though most of Harve's recollections of the Schuetzen era are absolutely trust-worthy, it turns out he was dead wrong about Ned.  So who would have the knowledge & reputation to contradict as respected an authority as Harvey?  There aren't many, but one of them is another of Ned's closest friends, not to mention the best gunwriter of the last 50 yrs, Ken Waters.

Harve's book was published in 1980, & in the May 1981 Handloader, Ken set the record straight in a piece entitled "Harve was wrong about Roberts."  Who still has it, or if they do, remembers this article? I never would, if I had not zeroxed it & stuck the copy into the back of Harve's book, where I just found it!

In short, Ken presented records proving Ned's service in the New Hampshire NG from 1883 to 1891, leaving as a Sergeant. Sadly, considering the high esteem in which I've always held Harvey, Ken also relates several instances in which Harve untruthfully, perhaps spitefully, demeaned Ned's reputation.   

Over the yrs, I've run across many similar "corrections" in periodicals to errors in highly prestigious reference books--Madis, Campbell, Brophy, etc.  Rarely does anyone remember for long the corrections, but the errors they refuted continue to be regarded by most as Holy Writ.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
That's pretty interesting information. I concur with the assessment that Ken Waters is the best of the bunch when it comes to authors, and not just for the past fifty years.
Your explanation of the way some misinformation is kept around is true- there are other ways as well. Pigheadedness being prime among them. 
And, nowadays we have a newer threat to the problem. The internet. Chances of it getting read at all are questionable, and the likely hood that it'll be understood for what it is are a real maybe. Look at some of the loads found on the internet. Look at the controversies we have here (wads, annealing, smokeless powders, etc.). Other places have one side or the other of these discussions posted as hard fact. If you were a new shooter wouldn't you accept the info if that's what you stumbled onto instead of a discussion like ours? After all, if it's on the 'net it must be good shit. Bookmark it. Oh, I think I'm gonna pan lube some bullets and then..................................... Cry

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I finally broke down and just ordered a copy of the book from ABE books. I guess I'll have to get a copy of the magazine also.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
I finally broke down and just ordered a copy of the book from ABE books. I guess I'll have to get a copy of the magazine also.

Hate to tell you this, but there was a time a few yrs after the original pub. date when Wolfe was cleaning out old inventory by selling copies for $5 each!  Thought then about buying a 2nd copy just as an extra, but with so many other books to make space for, I didn't do it.

However, whatever you have to pay for the book, even with the Roberts error,it's worth it!

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Redsetter, Thank you for this post. I do have the May-June 1981 issue of Handloader magazine. I had read the other post here on major Roberts. And thought someone must post a rebuttal to it. Ken Waters was less than kind to Harvey Donaldson to say the least.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 1:30pm:
That's pretty interesting information. I concur with the assessment that Ken Waters is the best of the bunch when it comes to authors, and not just for the past fifty years.
Your explanation of the way some misinformation is kept around is true- there are other ways as well. Pigheadedness being prime among them. 
And, nowadays we have a newer threat to the problem. The internet. Chances of it getting read at all are questionable, and the likely hood that it'll be understood for what it is are a real maybe. Look at some of the loads found on the internet. Look at the controversies we have here (wads, annealing, smokeless powders, etc.). Other places have one side or the other of these discussions posted as hard fact. If you were a new shooter wouldn't you accept the info if that's what you stumbled onto instead of a discussion like ours? After all, if it's on the 'net it must be good shit. Bookmark it. Oh, I think I'm gonna pan lube some bullets and then..................................... Cry

Pat,
Excellent point!
The 'net is a whole bunch of " Copy - Paste " , and rarely with much digging or thinking occurring in between those two keyboard/mouse actions.

When it comes to "loads" posted on the internet, how often do we see an accompanying warning to reduce the load(s) shown, and then work up carefully?    Shocked

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Tom_Trevor assra life no.71 wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
Ken Waters was less than kind to Harvey Donaldson to say the least.

Actually, it was more the other way around--Harvey's remarks about Ned were not, shall we say, of the kindest variety. But it's quite possible Harve was merely mis-informed about Ned's military service, because he said Ned's wife told him the story; maybe they were married after Ned left the NG, or maybe she just forgot...as old folks are apt to do.  But it's surprising Harve neglected to confirm the story with Ned himself.

And speaking of "forgetting," to give Harve the benefit of the doubt (which I'd like to do because of my admiration for him), he was in his '70s when he began writing for Wolfe.  With the exception of the 3 Rifleman articles, everything else in his book was written many decades after the fact.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Water's or Robert's has a load printed in one of their books that is catastrophic if used. Not in the mood to go look it up right now but I am sure someone here has it on the top of their head and remembers it well. So at times even the books don't have it right if it were to be discussed here it would more than likely have been caught with a warning not to use it. So everything has a good and bad side to it per-say but one also needs to have enough common sense to not be overly trust worthy as well.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:39pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Water's or Robert's has a load printed in one of their books that is catastrophic if used.

Can you remember the cartridge that load was for?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I think it was for 32-40 but wouldn't swear to it right now. Seems like it was something like19grs of Unique or something like that and keep in mind I am just guessing right now and really need to go look it up when I get a chance.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
I think it was for 32-40 but wouldn't swear to it right now. Seems like it was something like19grs of Unique or something like that and keep in mind I am just guessing right now and really need to go look it up when I get a chance.

Must be some other cartridge, as far as Pet Loads (my FAVORITE manual) is concerned--no Unique at all for .32-40.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I had read where Ned served in the National Guard, but couldn't remember where I read it, so didn't want to post that if I might be wrong. Might have been in Water's writings.

As for errors, it's sad as once something is published the general consensus is it's a fact, and that's just not always true. I've seen things written in books that I had proof were wrong, but often heard repeated as fact. I had a few conversations with Bill Brophy when he published his wonderful treatise on the history of Marlin Firearms Co. about some things he wrote. He often agreed to the errors, but not sure that subsequent printings ever addressed or corrected the errors?
And I can't tell you how many times I've heard or read the "fire" story to explain why some gun companies didn't have records for certain periods of time. If any gun maker ever had a lapse in recording serial numbers and data it seems like it's always blamed on his mysterious fire that took place at the company. Always wondered how fires destroyed records from one day forward, but never destroyed records from the day before, or years before?
Many have read the true story of Stevens' mysterious fire when the government was calling for an investigation into war profiteering. But since that fire really occurred, it destroyed all records, and not just from a specific number of years. But that fire has lead to myths concerning other gun companies lack of record keeping for certain years, and it's been proliferated by some "experts" too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:12pm:
Many have read the true story of Stevens' mysterious fire when the government was calling for an investigation into war profiteering.

Many have read or heard it, but what is the original source of that info?  A public announcement by Stevens, or more likely, Savage, after their purchase of the company?   

Destruction by fire is also the standard explanation for Winchester's missing records. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Redsetter I just need to find the time to go and look. I was hoping someone would have been very familiar with that error and it would have kept me from having to go back and find it myself. At one point in time and going way back now it was the talk at the time as it had already destroyed one vintage collectable rifle. 

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Not in The Breech Loading Single Shot Rifle, either. They both wrote that one (at least contributed). Some loads in there that we can't do these days, but they look sorta safe. Waters is usually inside safe boundaries, but considering the era that Roberts was involved in they used a few things that we now consider pretty warm, though not dangerous in a good rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint