Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Old Photos (Read 152785 times)
Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Re: A Few Old Photos
Reply #45 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Freund Bro's Wyoming Armory;

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:07am
Print Post  
"How many of us even own suits like that?"
And keep in mind, those are wool suits in an age well before  A/C .....

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:07am:

And keep in mind, those are wool suits in an age well before  A/C .....

In Wyoming, pre-global-warming, I doubt that was a great handicap; Teddy Roosevelt, dressed up for winter on his ranch in the Dakotas, looked like the Michelin tire man.

Curious that all these gents appear to be holding muskets, not sporting rifles. 

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
"Curious that all these gents appear to be holding muskets, not sporting rifles." 

Notice the sign under the boar's head. These men are obviously standing around, with muskets in hand, anxiously waiting for the Long Range rifles that they ordered to be finished.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Also notice the exes on the hitching rail. That's where they sighted in. Cheyenne was a rough place and those were hard men in those days.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:14am:
Also notice the exes on the hitching rail. That's where they sighted in. Cheyenne was a rough place and those were hard men in those days.

You got that wrong!  It's reserved parking, I recognized that signature! Grin

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #51 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Remember that long range rifles in that era were quite often military style muskets! In fact the Creedmoor and other long range matches had classes just for those rifles. So the sign offering long range rifles may well be represented by the guns those fellas are holding.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Everybody talks about the Sharps rifles they worked up, but the sign shows a Winchester. Where are they all at? Rather like to see a Freund reworked M 1876 or something, wouldn't you?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Those gentleman would look out of place wearing baseball hats theirs have allot more charm by far.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:49am:
Everybody talks about the Sharps rifles they worked up, but the sign shows a Winchester. Where are they all at? Rather like to see a Freund reworked M 1876 or something, wouldn't you?  Roll Eyes

Especially if this photo was going to be used for promoting the shop.  Looks like a staged photo to me--not likely all those gents just happened to be loitering in front of the place when the photographer came along.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #55 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:49am:

Yes the Sharps seem to get the most attention with Freund guns. But I've seen a fair number of Rolling Blocks (both Remington and Whitney) from Freund's shop also. Fortunately that was an era when big shops like Freund's stamped their name on guns they sold. So not just the guns modified by Freund, but many other guns that went through their shop got marked. 
It would seem that maybe there weren't many Winchesters going through Freund's shop, as I can't say I've seen one marked yet. And I did a search a few years ago on the internet for any Freund marked guns, and nothing came up in the way of a Winchester in that search either.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Really quite sad to see those Gun Shops now gone and even more so the smiths who worked on all the firearms as we now have none not a single one in a town with a population over 212,000.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm:
Really quite sad to see those Gun Shops now gone and even more so the smiths who worked on all the firearms as we now have none not a single one in a town with a population over 212,000.

It's sad, but if you remember as many gun-butchers as I do from the '50s, '60s & '70s operating small shops, often at their homes, the loss is maybe not as tragic as you think.  The first time I encountered one was while I was in Jr. High, when I took a High-Standard pistol my father had given me to one because the pin that releases the slide was stuck.  I looked on in horror as, holding the pistol between his knees, he held a punch on the pin with one hand & hit it with a hammer with the other; OF COURSE, as I could see was going to happen (but lacked the nerve to stop him), the punch glanced off leaving a deep gouge on the slide.  But he was a good guy--said he was sorry & didn't charge me for his butchery! 

By the time I was in HS, I'd learned of a smith worthy of the name (Jim Clark!), but his shop was about 50 m away.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #58 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The loss of great gunsmith shops is common all over the USA! And it was caused by people who weren't willing to pay a livable wage for the quality work these good gunsmiths did. Sad, but it's really the main reason they're gone.

I also recall going to a local "gunsmith" to simply have a barrel spun off. I didn't have the tools then, and his work spurred me to get the things I needed to do it myself.
I walked into the shop and was greeted by a caged divider between me and the owner. Odd, but I told him what I wanted and he said he'd do it while I waited. He then put the barrel in his barrel vise and turned around to an oxy-acetylene torch set and began to fire it up with a huge heating tip!
I asked what he planned to do and he told me he was going to heat the action to allow it to spin off easily. I told him he certainly wasn't going to heat my action, and especially with that big old tip! He continued to fire up the torch and I screamed something about what I would do if he touched my action with it. He finally turned the torches off and gave me my barreled action back.
I went home and ordered my barrel vise and an action wrench, and it came off like butter. No heat needed, and I never regretted spending the small amount for the tools to do it myself.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #59 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Interior photo of Freund Bro's Cheyenne, Wyoming;

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37
Send TopicPrint