Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Old Photos (Read 152774 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A Few Old Photos
Reply #30 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
The things on the wall are probably worth more than most of the guns in the racks. Sure would like to do my decorating with that stuff. Be still my heart.... Tongue

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Bob
Here is a quickie Photo Shop cleanup of the image. As the image quality is only so-so, there's not a lot to be done to improve it other than tweak the brightness and contrast plus throw some image sharpening on it. Some of the detail is easier to see though.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
What I love are the built-in racks for customers to lean their guns in, guns they have brought into the store for whatever reason, and done so without a worry.  Can you even imagine any store, even a gun store, doing that today?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Looks like the dog didn't get the memo to hold still for a few seconds Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:25pm:
What I love are the built-in racks for customers to lean their guns in, guns they have brought into the store for whatever reason, and done so without a worry. 

Bill Lawrence

Well, it's quite true a customer strolling in with a gun in his hands wouldn't have precipitated a panic (it didn't even when I brought my High Standard Double-Nine into my Jr. High shop class to make a holster for it!), but I'd assume most of these racked guns were guns for sale.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:53pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
As often happens, once again, Redsetter, my lack of precision has apparently caused my point to be missed.  The racks I'm referring to are those that line the customer's side of the counter, apparently all the way around the store.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
It wasn't that long ago, because I'm not that old  Wink the podunk town I'm from in south central Montana had a hardware store that had glass cabinets with the fringes like that.  I remember asking my father what these were for, or maybe my dad asked if I knew what they were for...  Raymee, the store owner pulled a greased up '03 Springfield from a wooden barrel and leaned it up against the groove and asked if I understood?  Never gave the picture another thought when I saw it thanks for a refresher Bill!
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:30pm:
As often happens, once again, Redsetter, my lack of precision has apparently caused my point to be missed.  The racks I'm referring to are those that line the customer's side of the counter, apparently all the way around the store.

Bill Lawrence

Now I see what you mean; could no doubt be used for that purpose, but more inclined to believe they're decorative trim-work in the fancy furniture style of the time.  Handy, however, if a platoon of blue-coats dropped in the store.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I think you're correct Bill. Those are likely for customer's guns so they wont lay them on the glass top cases and break the glass.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I've been in a couple of gun shops that had shorter versions of them, never seen it go as extensive as this picture's version. I'll bet the poor guy that had to saw those boards and smooth 'em up  wished he had a saber saw and electric sander- Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #40 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
There's a small fortune invested just in the glass cases and cabinets in that picture.  Glass didn't travel that far very well without breakage and was needed to fulfill the desire to isolate items from both customers and the clouds of dust present in those dirt and horse manure covered streets, but still provide transparency to let customers know what was available.

Must have been a lot easier to daily knock the grime off the top of a glass case than a hundred plus individual firearms.

As such, there is no doubt in my mind that the proprietor would do everything possible to protect those glass cases, as MG implied.

What a picture!

Hayface

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for your comments.  And you may well be right that the primary reason for the "fringe" was to protect the expensive glass cases.  But whatever the reasons, I mentioned the "fringe" simply because there was a time when a hardware or gun shop owner wouldn't have thought at all about someone walking in with a gun in hand.  Fifty years ago that was even still true in my town, which had six well-established gun shops and at least as many independent hardware stores that sold some guns and ammunition.  Nowadays, those gun shops are long gone; all but one of the few hardware stores are national chain stores, and none even sell ammo; and the local politicians are ardently trying to get the local Walmart to stop selling that "dangerous stuff" (zero tolerance in all forms is the local rage).

Oh, well, I'm just a ludite who refuses to change with the times.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #42 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
BL,

Perhaps I should have phrased my comment differently, (as usual).  I don't know that protecting the glass with the "fringe" was necessarily THE primary reason, but certainly A reason for what appears to be a well conceived and executed multi-purpose design element.

Regardless, few of us will ever likely see such wonderfully purposeful appointments in a gun shop ever again.  And yes,  it's a sadder statement yet that they would serve little purpose in today's changed world.   

Thankfully, this photo and others show up here and give us a small taste of what it was like back then.

Change, not always for the better!

Hayface

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Do you suppose those are kegs of BP on the high shelf on the left in back? And tins of primers in the close case on the right?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:32pm:
Thanks. Don't you wish you were a fly on the bench for that conversation between Roberts and Pope.
Chuck

How many of us even own suits like that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37
Send TopicPrint