Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Old Photos (Read 152758 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A Few Old Photos
Reply #165 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 7:08pm:
Vall in all honesty we are extremely fortunate to have both the ISSA and ASSRA upholding all of the past History and also providing matches. Myself I have absolutely no complaints with either one and just extremely thankful they are both still around.

If you read my post John, you wont find anything I said that could be taken as derogatory toward ASSRA or ISSA. And I made no complaints against either organization. So not sure what you mean by this post?
In fact as I said, either or both organization's support of a grand event like the Coors match would be helpful, and also legitimize the event by their mere involvement, regardless of the level.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #166 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Vall I was basically saying I totally agree with what you had to say and I agree with you 100%! It might have come across wrong as I was also trying to share my thoughts of what was posted prior too. I should not have tried to address everything at the same time I can see where the confusion might have come from.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #167 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
No, you can not bring back the past but, you can sure mirror it. As I have posted, many times before, it was the Coors Matches that increased ASSRA membership, at least 3 fold and everyone you talked to, that was into guns, knew of the Coors Matches and even knew of the word Schuetzen. Coors stuffed the coffers of ASSRA, too and helped, very much to buy the range it owns (EG).

Today, no one knows what Schuetzen is and no one knows the history of single shot, or even who Pope was.

There wasn't a internet in those days and everyone knew and admired SS's in those days. We have met the enemy and it is our self!

JL could help the ASSRA, directly if he would only join it. 

Help us out, JL, help us out..........

These rifles deserve better!

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #168 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Anyone shooting schuetzen or long range matches IS bringing back the past today! We wont ever reach the levels of participation by shooters or spectators that there was in the late 1800's, or early 1900's because things just aren't the same today.
Too many other sporting events. Too many other styles of guns and shooting. Too many distractions in general to water down the interest. But I do believe that the sheer number of people still interested in shooting these old guns, or new guns built in the same style, certainly proves the idea is worth pursuing.
The issue today isn't just distractions, or other guns. It's promotion, and exposure. Without being promoted, it wont get the exposure. How many guys (myself included) didn't know about schuetzen or these types of guns before the Coors event? That match got a lot of miles by being written up in gun magazines. The guns got a new interest from people seeing them pictured in magazines, and wondering what they were, or how they were used.
I know I had a passing interest in single shots back then, but became so intrigued with schuetzen rifles that I found myself selling off over 100 pre WWII era Marlin lever actions I'd collected over the years. For me the allure of the schuetzen rifles was, and still is inspired by the coverage I saw of the Coors matches. And it has remained just as strong for over 3 decades now.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #169 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 7:36pm:
Past reasons don't matter because, as John Louis so aptly put it, the past isn't coming back.  Therefore, what can we still do to build the future?

Bill Lawrence

Bill,
Couldn't those past reasons be important... in order to understand and mitigate against the repetition of past actions/inactions and consequences that may inhibit building the future you refer to?
Could those past reasons help determine how long an organization may, or may not, endure?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #170 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Yes, BP, theoretically they are; after all, if people don't learn from the past, someone said, they are doomed to repeat it.

However, the people who are "doomed" are less us and very much more those who come next.  And while we can try to point out what we could've done differently or better or otherwise help or enlighten them, it will still be more and more up to them with their years still ahead of them to make the changes.

To come at this another way, as an appraiser of antiques and collectibles, one of my professional rules of thumb is that if the average age of a collector, user, or whatever group reaches 55, that group is well on the way to dying and likely that which binds it together is too.

Are we one of those groups?  I greatly fear that we may well be.  And if so, the time to save our "peculiar" shooting sport and all its wonderful tangents may be rapidly, maybe even too rapidly, getting away from us.

Therefore, to put it even more strongly than before, what must we do to not not just build but save our future?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #171 - May 14th, 2019 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Any hobby, or interest that requires a fair amount of time and money to pursue is going to be a case of those involved being 55 or older. Prior to that the majority of guys are busy working, raising families, and just spread too thin on time and money to be able to get deeply involved.
It doesn't matter if it's schuetzen, long range, antique cars, or what it is. Anything that takes the time and money will end up with people interested being in that age group. I see it in all sorts of hobbies I'm interested in, and I don't think that will ever change. 
But the good news is there's no shortage of people who are getting older, and hopefully as they mature and kids move out, the hobby will still be there if we keep the fire lit. It's just a case of making sure we keep it out there and well known to shooters and collectors so they get exposure to it. Then at some point hopefully they'll be interested enough (like we were) to get involved.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #172 - May 14th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
There are 6390 registered users here and a new one just recently joined. Some of those newer folks reading this would think we are already doomed. So why would they want to spend the money at this point in time and also want to get involved. The real truth of it all is we are actually doing quite well and the number of registered users also points it out. The decline hasn't been from a lack of interest but by those who have since passed on. I can name at least  ten off the top of my head who used to shoot with our own group how many in your group have you lost. And then there are also those who just can longer get out due to their age, health or limited income. With all of this talk about one more grand Schuetzen Event as being our saving grace. How many do you actually think could even make it to such a grand event when they can barely make it out to their own home club's events. Or to even make it to the current ongoing national events that have also been on a decline. It all has to start at home good folks and Frank no longer even participates with his own club he left it quite some time back. So they are now down minus two as his wife also used to shoot with the group. And if one goes back to look at their scores they typically topped with only having five so where might he have room to complain about the sports decline. The youngest now I believe in our group is fifty eight and the oldest in his eighties. Our average is probably in the high sixties now with several now in their seventies. If we all don't start worrying more about our own club's participation instead of some grand event the concerns about the health and welfare of both the ASSRA and ISSA could then become very real. But we are along ways from ever getting there so grab all of your shooting gear and take a young man or lady out to your range and show them a wonderful time. If you happen to have another setup he or she can borrow until they can get their own encourage them to also start shooting your local match events. An individual who became a  top competitor came down just to watch a match to see what it was all about. I convinced him not leave and to hang out until after the match as I wanted him to shoot my gun. I hung up some targets showed him how to breech seat and load and let him shoot until his trigger finger felt like it was going to fall off. His name is Rick MacHale whom some of you know and have competed with. He also become a very dear friend you all can do the same.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #173 - May 14th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 14th, 2019 at 2:10pm:
There are 6390 registered users here and a new one just recently joined.

There are 320,000,000 people in the United States of America and at least, 100,000,000 should know about what we do and half of them should belong to either or both ASSRA & ISSA.

We have a LONG way to go.

Did you join ASSRA yet? Every journey, starts with one step.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #174 - May 14th, 2019 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
By leaving and no longer supporting your group instead of worry about myself and others it would be better to go back to doing your own part. Sewing discord amoung this group is extremely harmful and it does not provide any help. If we can't even get along and show mutual respect for each other how could we ever hope to accomplish growing the sport?
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2019 at 5:10pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #175 - May 14th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
The idea that one big schuetzen event will save schuetzen in general, or somehow revive it to a whole new crowd, or grow the sport to astronomical levels, is just missing the point.
What seems to be forgotten by those who are strictly competitive shooters is there's a whole other world of casual shooters, and also collectors of these fine old schuetzen rifles!
If we rely on just competitive shooters to keep the interest in schuetzen rifles alive (or other single shot rifles!), they will indeed die eventually. But if that one grand schuetzen event inspires a few shooters, gets a few more casual shooters, and adds some collectors of these fine firearms; then it is a success!
Collectors, casual shooters, or competitors alone cannot keep it alive. It takes all of those interested in their particular segment of schuetzen to help spawn interest in the others, and keep it going.
Lets don't travel down the road with blinders on just because we have a particular segment we enjoy, and ignore the others that keep it alive too!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #176 - May 14th, 2019 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
JL,
Of those 6392 forum members listed on the Members page that you referred to, some are R.I.P.
Of those 6392 who still draw breath, how many have actually made a post within the last month?
How many haven't made a post within the last month, the last 6 months, the last year?
What are the actual numbers of active participants, and what is the form of their participation?
Do those numbers actually translate into active shooters that pull a trigger during the matches at Etna Green?

If you were to equate the ASSRA with a small non-profit "business" seeking to grow and enlarge its "market share", what percentage of the potentially available "customers" are even aware of its existence?
When you walk up to ANY shooter that you happened to encounter and then ask them 1) if they have ever heard of the ASSRA, and 2) what does the ASSRA "Primarily" do, what answers do you receive?
What "Name Brand Recognition" does the ASSRA actually possess?
What is the level of the ASSRA's "market exposure" with the general shooting public, and what is the level of interest expressed?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #177 - May 14th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I'm one of those who is active here, an ASSRA member, a collector and a casual shooter. Never shot competitively and probably won't. I enjoy reading about competitive shooting to a point. No idea how many are like me. Whish I knew how to keep the hobby alive and growing but I don't. Many young shooters are black gun fans. About half the country thinks all guns are dangerous and should be taken off the planet. Maybe if the gun control people get their way our single shotsl will get popular when that's all we are allowed to own.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #178 - May 15th, 2019 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
BP I don't think anyone could up with a totally correct answer to any of those questions.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #179 - May 15th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Vall has shared some good points and the below should help to clarify the truth of it all.

The American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA) was founded in 1948 as an organization that promotes the responsible use, study and preservation of single-shot rifles. These include original and reproduction arms from the 19th and early 20th centuries as well as rifles of more current design. The ASSRA encourages and coordinates research into the history and lore of single shot rifles to disseminate such knowledge for mutual benefit. This is in part made possible by the vast archives maintained by the ASSRA. The ASSRA sanctions events that hold members to high standards of ethical conduct, promote genuine friendliness, tolerance and mutual respect for each other.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37
Send TopicPrint