Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Old Photos (Read 152660 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A Few Old Photos
Reply #150 - May 12th, 2019 at 8:56am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:53pm:
Interesting, 1904 and several Winchester barrels on Ballards but only 1 Winchester rifle.

Seemed to be a pretty common thing back in the early 1900's to swap a Winchester barrel on a Ballard. I have three Ballard schuetzen rifles with Winchester barrels. 
I think that was because Marlin dropped the Ballard line in 1890, and Winchester made their 1885 much longer, so Winchester barrels were available long after people wore out their Ballard barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #151 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I noticed six 33's being used not often seen being used these days and one 28, one 38 and one 34 of which I found interesting.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #152 - May 12th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Ken not sure what happened to our Coors Banner or the Budweiser Banner when they too sponsored our Regional Matches for a very short time. The Bud being the preferred one to hang on the wall and a sponsor that some here might not recall. Also back when they had a Beer Truck on site and all you could drink was for free.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #153 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Ken those were indeed amazingly friendly sponsered days for a little known shooting sport and indeed some of the very best at that time. Being a bit younger back then I took full advantage of all of the free Beer. All though not a competitor yet but a dream that finally came true. I always went out to enjoy all of those Matches including those regular matches I could make when worked allowed that our club also held.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #154 - May 12th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
It's a shame that the ASSRA and ISSA, together will not pursue anything like that!

I've talked about it a lot but, both organizations find reason not to.

The reason for a 34 cal, is that a mold and "freshening" a barrel, was cheaper than a re-barreling job. There where many odd barrel calibers in Slug Gunning. Ken Breizen was a very busy man before the 1990's.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #155 - May 12th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Yes....I miss these guys! L-R, Max Goodwin, Jim Westergaard, August Westergaard at Golden Colorado 1982;

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #156 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Digging around in my files - found the flyer and results from our first Coors Regional................Good shooting Ken!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #157 - May 12th, 2019 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Frank why do you continue to put the blame somewhere other than yourself? If you really wanted to see such a match again it's yours for the taking just start contacting sponcers and find a place to accommodate it. Or easier yet just go to Raton Coors built and paid for the Coors Range so that the Tradition could continue to carry on. But by folks like yourself and not having to relay any further on them and the reason it was built and then freely handed down. So it's really unfortunate for you to continue to complain about a match that has actually never gone away and possibly now closer to you than I believe Golden might have been.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #158 - May 13th, 2019 at 1:29am
Print Post  
So, I'm the blame for the the ISSA & ASSRA not coming together to form Nationally, sponsored, professional match.

Darn, I didn't know that!!!

I'm so sorry, guy's. I guess I should have never got into this sport and created a ASSRA, sanctioned club, and promoted the ASSRA and supported other clubs, for all these 32 years.

BUT, given written permission and authority, by ASSRA & ISSA, I'd be glad to do the the work that it would take.

JL, what have you done for ISSA & ASSRA in this sport but, shoot only CF matches at Modesto, not supporting any other club in your area of CA? How many clubs have you started and how many other, ASSRA & ISSA matches, have you gone to, to help support them.

Are you even a member of ASSRA?

Our sport has already decline to a sliver of it's '80's and '90's days and will cease to be, if no one knows about it. Just like the Slug Guns did.

No one joins, if they don't know about it and no one will know about it, w/o national recognition.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #159 - May 13th, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Not taking sides in this debate, but without support from organizations like ISSA, ASSRA, or a huge sponsor like Coors, that event could never have been pulled off back when the Coors Schuetzenfest happened. 
A major event like that takes some very strong backing from a sponsor, and organizations that oversee this type of shooting. Not many individuals have the clout, or finances to take on this type of event on their own. Regardless of their desire to do so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #160 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
There already is National Recognizition on two fronts the matches at Etna Green on behalf of the ASSRA and the Regional and National Matches on behalf of the ISSA. As well as this site and the ISSA's site also providing and promoting additional National Recognizition. In regards to traveling to other matches there is no need both organizations support, sanction and provide these matches to each individual home Club. This year I did not shoot our Regional Match but I did pay the ISSA fee as a means of support. I was also there for all three days to help as needed in support of the event and to hopefully help to make it an enjoyable time for all of the competitors. Also in regards to supporting the ASSRA we pay a yearly fee to the ASSRA for our club to be affiliated and my match fees go towards funding that fee. In regards to supporting the matches themselves I am an assistant to the Schuetzen Meister and if he is off shooting an out of town event or ill. I will then run those matches on his behalf and on behalf of the competitors so those matches are not cancelled and can still take place. Based on my now limited income there is not much more I can do monetarily to assist or to travel to various matches. But I can and do help to support those matches held by our club for the benefit of any and all who enjoy coming out to participat and would like to see the sport continue on successfully for several years to come. Even though I might not be participating in a match myself. Unfortunatly there are also those who will not go out to support their own home clubs events for the benefit of those who still enjoy going out to participate and would like to see the sport stay alive and well locally. Yet can still seemingly find a way to condemn and find fault in those who do go out and provide support while they are not willing to provide any support at all themselves on a local basis. In regards to one big Grand Schuetzen Match Col. Boyd of Single Shot Exchange magazine fame I believe provided two such grand events. It did not require the ISSA and the ASSRA to come together as one to accomplish what he himself was able to accomplish with the help and support from his sponsors. Those were one time events but the ASSRA and the ISSA events have never stopped being provided both locally and nationally for anyone and everyone to come out to fully participate in and to continue to enjoy.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #161 - May 13th, 2019 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
JL,
What caused Bret Boyd to call a halt to the Grand American Schuetzenfest after organizing them in 1994-1995?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #162 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Vall in all honesty we are extremely fortunate to have both the ISSA and ASSRA upholding all of the past History and also providing matches. Myself I have absolutely no complaints with either one and just extremely thankful they are both still around.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #163 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
BP I don't know why nor would I try to assume so. I am just very thankful for what we still have available today the past isn't coming back.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #164 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Past reasons don't matter because, as John Louis so aptly put it, the past isn't coming back.  Therefore, what can we still do to build the future?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37
Send TopicPrint