Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Where will we meet? (Read 7134 times)
ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Where will we meet?
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Joe, we could get on a mountaintop and send smokeless signals could look for rocks at the same time.
Lee Gibbs

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 2:34am
Print Post  
FB is a complete lost cause ... the anti-gun FB Nazis shut down individuals and special interest shooting related FB pages just for posting the odd photo of a gun.  All it takes is one person to report you to "FB head office" and WHAM! ... your banned for "contravening their no guns or gun related items policy".  No, it would need to be something a lot more secure and common-sense based than FB ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Jul 28th, 2018 at 2:34am:
FB is a complete lost cause ... the anti-gun FB Nazis shut down individuals and special interest shooting related FB pages just for posting the odd photo of a gun.  All it takes is one person to report you to "FB head office" and WHAM! ... your banned for "contravening their no guns or gun related items policy".  No, it would need to be something a lot more secure and common-sense based than FB ...

With all do respect there are plenty of firearms related pages on Facebook and the ASSRA page is thriving and gaining more popularity everyday. FB is merely a tool to share our organization and sport. Not a be all end all. We also have a private discussion board on our Facebook page where permission to participate is granted by an administrator. 
Our page also shares events throughout the country and reaches an audience that our Journal does not reach (non/potential members).
Our forum is alive and well. The sky is not falling. We have added Alan Shore as moderator and may add more in the future. The ASSRA is not going anywhere we are here to stay. The doomsaying and naysaying may be coming from local groups that have grown stagnant or have experienced loss. There are actually some groups that have worked hard to grow and thrive.
If we have a negative outlook then our future will be negative. If we live in the past and hope for a benefactor such as Coors to come along then we are screwed. It’s up to us to create our future and to grow the sport. No one is going to do it for us.
So what’s going to be our rally point? The forum, the Journal, Facebook and all of the clubs across our great land.
Yours in single shot,
Scott
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:34am by watchthewind »  

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:12am:

If we live in the past and hope for a benefactor such as Coors to come along then we are screwed. It’s up to us to create our future and to grow the sport. No one is going to do it for us.
Yours in single shot,
Scott

Well said, Scott. In addressing the above part of your post, if we don't look for a benefactor, we will not find one. 

It seems to me that some shooting related company should be interested in what would be termed, today as a rather benign form of firearm use. Especially since we used to have a fairly large footprint in this sport. Retro is a growing thing right now.

The main stream shooting publications is another area that needs to be addressed. When was the last time anyone connected to ASSRA or ISSA contacted one of those publications to offer a article on our sport, rifles or how we load ammo?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
It's nice to hear all of the concern but on the other hand the ISSA National event attendance continues to dwindle. Its one thing to continue to say how much one cares about the sport but another to actually get out and go support it. ASSRA, ISSA and WSU is not in need of a Benefactor they are in need of participation and more importantly in your local area. One Grand Schuetzen Event would simply not do nothing for the sport it's what Scott himself is doing on his local level that will. And let us not forget Coors did not abandon the sport they built the Coors range at the NRA Center at Raton and simply turned the responsibility to keep those matches going over to others. If you don't go to the ISSA National Event it is you who is killing the sport and it's Coors tradition and nobody or anything else than. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 28th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
It's nice to hear all of the concern but on the other hand the ISSA National event attendance continues to dwindle. Its one thing to continue to say how much one cares about the sport but another to actually get out and go support it. ASSRA, ISSA and WSU is not in need of a Benefactor they are in need of participation and more importantly in your local area. One Grand Schuetzen Event would simply not do nothing for the sport it's what Scott himself is doing on his local level that will. And let us not forget Coors did not abandon the sport they built the Coors range at the NRA Center at Raton and simply turned the responsibility to keep those matches going over to others. If you don't go to the ISSA National Event it is you who is killing the sport and it's Coors tradition and nobody or anything else than. 

JLouis

All from someone that ONLY shoots at Modesto. Very sad that you won't even support the Central Sierra Club, let alone go to Raton.

I spend all my free money going to Spokane and making that my vacation with my wife. Raton would cost me twice that much but, I am still trying to find a way to attend it!

Attendance at matches, is only part of sustaining our sport. If people aren't exposed to it, they can't come to like or enjoy it.

Like it or not, I don't like FB, the only reason I joined it, was to stay in touch with what my 31 year old daughter does but, it can communicate with the younger set and we need that. So, it's been a good step in the right direction but, it not my thing.

I think the the best thing to improve our standing, in shooting sport would be a backer or benefactor. People that shun that never experienced what Coors did for this sport and ASSRA was the biggest benefactor of that. I didn't start this because of Coors, I started this, because I love the rifles and discovered Coors after I bought my first SS and started shooting in matches, in 1985. After that, I found that almost every one that I talked to, that was interested in shoot, knew about the Coors matches. 

How many know about our sport now? You got to know about to get people interested and that's NOT happening on the scale of the 80's, not even close!!

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Frank this was just being addressed to the entire group. Hopefully someday you might realize that anything I have to say is not always directly related to you but about the subject at hand.

One does not have to go back to the 80's in early 2000 there were 174 competitors give or take a couple at the ISSA National event and last year I believe it was down to a little over 60. Don't recall how many attended the Coors Matches maybe someone who knows will chime in. For anyone to think this sport died due to the lose of the Coors Matches and it's sponsorship needs to do a little more research.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2018 at 4:20pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Also up until about about 2006 give or take we had two full relays and all we could accommodate before having to turn others away for ISSA Regional Events. If memory serves me right our first Coors Sponcered Regional was in 1982 or possibly 84 and our monthly ASSRA matches back in the 80's were quite a bit less. One of and possibly our last ISSA sponcered regional was sponcered by Budweiser. 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
JL, in 2000, you were sill reaping the benefits of Coors. Don't forget that the Coors matches, didn't end, until the mid 90's.

The word is not out there anymore and so, the decline. It takes a while for declines, after a peak but, it's here!

It's NOT getting any better, as us 80's and 90's SS shooters, die off.

My only wish (at the moment) is that the people that are saying it won't work, had been involved in the 80's and 90's when it DID work.

I'm not saying that other things (like FB) won't help but, for the organizations, to just do nothing, doesn't help AT ALL!!!

I would suggest the the ASSRA & ISSA, put some percentage of the membership fee toward promotion of our rifles and sport.

Do like Trump, run this thing like a business.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
To run it like a business it takes making a profit to succeed and where might all that profit come from. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
One of the bigger shooting events is Jacked Benchrest and the Match the yearly Super Shoot put on by the Kelbys. Rumor has it this will be there last year to put it on and common sense tells one it will probably be the last Super Shoot. It was good for their business and a tax right off. We do not have such a manufacture in our sport directly related to the sport as they are who would be able to due the same.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
We also have a big yearly Match the ISSA National Event with quite a few sponcers but if no one is willing to attend it and to support it why would one think one Grand Event a year would be the Holy Grail. It would only serve to completely destroy the one that we already have by no longer attending it. And when the Holy Grand Event is soon gone so will the sport. Single Shot Rilfe Exchange held two such Grand Schuetzenfest events and one might ask why only the two and common sense should quickly answer that question. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
No one is being a Nay Sayer everyone would like to see this Sport really Excel but we also see the practical side of it taking place. If you cannot make it succeed locally there is no hope of if it succeeding Nationally, if you want to have a real nice Omelette for Breakfast you first have to have enough Hen's to lay the Eggs.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
John,

If I remember hearing it correctly, one of the main reasons that there wasn't a third Single Shot Exchange Grand American Schuetzenfest wasn't because the first two had been unsuccessful, but more along the lines that Brett Boyd was more than busy enough without having to " herd cats " for a third year in a row.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:34pm:

One does not have to go back to the 80's in early 2000 there were 174 competitors give or take a couple at the ISSA National event and last year I believe it was down to a little over 60. 

JLouis

The sport did not seem to recover from the 2007-2008 Great Recession. Additionally, there is the aging issue  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint