Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 Roller (Read 3999 times)
boho

.22 Roller
Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Something to enjoy.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: .22 Roller
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Gorgeous! But we need details!!!! 
Who did the work, and is it an original restored, or a newer version copy? What length barrel, and contour? Full octagon, or half?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Love those rollers!! You have a nice one there! We need more details though... Don't leave us hangin' man! Wink

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hopefully Bob will chime in here soon about the 22 rolling block and give some additional information. Bob contacted me some years back inquiring about a 22 rim fire on a #1 rolling block action. My personal 22 silhouette rifle was built around a old military 7mm rolling block and is my favorite rim fire. The action was purchased from Kenn Womack of (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). We chose a Green Mountain #3 contoured barrel and decided to do a pistol grip conversion using a pattern for the stock that I had made and have at Tree Bone Carving. The receiver ring was machined octagon and the trigger guard, hammer and breech block spur we contoured to resemble original Remington sporting rifle components. The action was completely gone through before barreling, the face of the receiver was trued to the barrel threads and the face of the breech block was surface ground parallel to that. The axle holes in the receiver, breech block and hammer were precision honed and new tool steel pins made and fitted. I fitted the stocks and finished the wood with hand rubbed oil after filling the grain. Classic Guns Inc did the color case hardening. That sums up what I know and can remember about the build. Now maybe Bob will give some information about how it shoots and and where he has shot the rifle.

SSS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Did you use the original extractor reworked? Or build a better extractor to get positive extraction of the little .22RF cases?

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
That is a fine looking rifle.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

I made a new extractor, I like using the straight bar or linear extractor for the 22 rim fire conversion. Converting the center fire breech block to rim fire is quite simple. I use the original firing pin channel and make new firing pins with an offset tip and spring return. A bushing is installed from the front and secured with two .078 diameter cross pins. To convert back to center fire an new bushing is installed with a regular center fire pin.
SSS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that info SSS! 
My #1 in .22LR was converted with an extractor that is T shaped, and situated under the barrel in the 6 o'clock position. It has a small nub on the breech block that interlocks with the extractor to slide it in and out as the breech block is rotated closed or open. It extracts empties almost all the way, and supports loaded rounds as the block is closed.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I have a # 1 1/2 that looks very much like this Roller. It was built by Dave Crossno, 28" full octagon barrel, had him install a set trigger. I sent the stocks to Tim at Classic Checkering and had him checker them with E-Grade pattern, to match the Creedmoor Roller that Dave built me.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
beautiful roller, sweet fecker on it as well.

IP Logged

boho

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the complements. SSS told all there is except it shoots Great and never brakes!!! ( except an occasional firing pin) And is always a pleasure to shoot. But what it really needs and I really want is a set trigger...... Is there someone that knows someone?   

Boho

IP Logged

boho

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
PS it was a Badger barrel.

BH

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle Bob and Smithed by one of our own very best. Makes me want to get out and thin some Walnuts off the Trees as I once did as a Wee Lad out at Grandpa's place.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
boho wrote on Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:16pm:
Thanks for all the complements. SSS told all there is except it shoots Great and never brakes!!! ( except an occasional firing pin) And is always a pleasure to shoot. But what it really needs and I really want is a set trigger...... Is there someone that knows someone?  

Boho

Might check at Numrich gun parts to see how their parts supply of set trigger parts is? They got all of Remington's parts from the late 1990's run, and the parts will fit older Rolling Blocks. So if you can get hammer, fly, trigger, and whatever else it needs, a good gunsmith could convert it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint