Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .44 rf Rolling Block ammo (Read 10879 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .44 rf Rolling Block ammo
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 8:07am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 10:15pm:
I did have #2 Ballard rifles in .44 Long, and one was CF only, and the other reversible firing pin. So I didn't have to convert either. Both had the typical .452" groove that a .44 Long usually has.
The other I converted was a #1 1/2 Rolling Block in .44 Long, which also had a .452" groove. After converting it with a simple breech block swap I shot it a lot, and it had a beautiful bore. It shot extremely well, and I enjoyed shooting it. I also own an original #1 early Rolling Block round top Sporting Rifle presently in .44 Long that was already converted when I bought it. Haven't shot it much, but it too has a similar .451" groove, so I'll keep using the same mold for it that I used for others.
I had another #1 Rolling Block that was an original .44 Long CF and I sold it to a friend. He had it rechambered to .44-77 SBN and loved it a lot more than the original .44 Long as he shoots long range with it.

I also like #2 Rolling Blocks, but only have one in .32-20. I had a minty #2 in .22 Long RF, but it was too nice to shoot, and too valuable to keep. I sold it, and got the .32-20 soon after.

Great info - thanks for sharing.  So these are all longs, not extra longs.  So I believe .44 Special brass will make a suitable case for it.  That's easy.  What mold did you use?  I was looking at both Old West Molds and Accurate Molds web sites for good candidates.  I'm told the rifle I'm getting has an excellent bore, so should be a good shooter.   
Thanks.
Steve

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Steve,
This is hypothetical but maybe food for thought. The largest currently available rimfire cartridge that I am aware of is the 9mm RF shotshell. Fiochi apparently does periodic runs and I see it from time to time on Gunbroker. If your firing pin will reach high enough toward the centerline of your bore to tap that rim these shells could be broken down and parted off to shorten them up and an appropriate center fire case reworked to accept them as a primer. I'm sure they would take the prize for most expensive primer but not require messing up an old gun by modifying the breech block. I do know you have the ability and drive to make shells this way, I'd do it myself but haven't crossed paths with a .44RF yet.
Dennis

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
None of mine were in .44 Extra Long, and honestly I've never run across an old rifle in .44 Extra Long. 
I used another old Winchester tong tool that casts a 225 gr. heeled bullet. They are a bit large as they drop at .454", but shot just fine. Never target level accuracy, but I never shot past 100 yds. and often just 50 yds. The best of mine was my Ballard #2 that had a perfect bore, and it would shoot 1.5"-2" groups off the bags at 100 yds.
The .44 Special brass was slightly short for some chambers, and I cut down .44 Mag brass for a couple rifles in .44 Long. Not sure why some were longer as they weren't long enough to be Extra Long, just longer than .44 Long?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, all good info. My only thought on slightly different chamber lengths is that it could have to do with the intended bullet.  One rifle manufacturer could have chambered it for say - a 245gr bullet, another manufacturer for a 265gr and slightly longer bullet. Since the bands of a heel bullet occupy the end of the chamber, this could explain the difference.  But, just a theory.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2020 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
My .44 rimfire #2 rolling block should arrive on Monday. I've been chompin' at the bit. Going on the assumption that it is .44 long, I made up a dummy round. The case length from a couple sources is 1.094". I had a few .44 mag cases on hand - neck, head and rim are all close or a little under, so that's good. I trimmed the case to 1.094". 

I didnt have any suitable bullets. So I rummaged around and found a Lee .452-255 mold for 45 Colt. So I cast about 75 of them today. Then I chucked a few in the lathe and turned a heel. I made three sizes: .425",  428", .430".  These bullets weigh 255gr, a bit heavy for the .44 Long. From what I've found, original bullets weighed 215 - 230gr. So these may not chamber all the way. I may need to shorten the case a bit more. But this gives me a starting point. I see Bernie at Old West Bullet Mold lists what appears to be a suitable mold. I may end up getting one of those.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I have an Old West heeled mould for .44 rimfire that casts about a 200 (ish) grain bullet at .440" with a .418" heel.  Of course they can be sized down to suit the actual bore size of whatever rifle they are being used in.  I'll be shooting these in a couple of .44RF Ballards I have (2 more back burner projects), but we cast some that a shooting friend of mine tested in his .44RF Ballard and they shot well.  I also gave some to another shooting friend who tested them in his .44 Remington revolver with good results.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
If, for some reason (rifles have their own minds) your No. 2 really likes the heavier Lee bullet, you could turn a heel sizer die for your bullet sizer (Lyman or RCSB) to swage the bottom band to the right heeled size, assuming a soft bullet. I use an 1/8" rod, or so (whatever is handy) as an ejector to pop the bullet out after the heel has been swaged down. Goes faster than cutting the bullets on the lathe and is easier to make them consistent. Have fun!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Just as a side note, one of my two .44RF Ballards is dual ignition with a percussion nipple as well as a RF firing pin.  The previous owner lathe turned an adaptor case with a small hole in the centre of the base to hand load at the shooting bench and then fire using percussion caps.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al - Did Bernie make that mold to your specs or does he just have them in one size?  I was looking at his .44 American mold, that is just about right for mine. But wondered if he could make slight size changes. Thanks.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Not sure if he can "tweak" the diameters or not?  The mould I ordered was a standard offering in his heeled bullet moulds that suited the bore dimensions on my 2 Ballards in .44 rimfire.

A shooting buddy of mine has 2 Ballards in .44 rimfire and one of them measures at .430" so we just put some of my bullets through my lube sizer using a .430" / .44 Magnum / .44 Special sizer die.  They are a fairly soft alloy so they sized down the needed .0010" with no trouble.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Ok thanks. I'll probably be calling him next week.

IP Logged

Pat_Pryor
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
If anyone is interested in 44 rimfire (44 Henry) I will be running a batch of cartridges this summer. They are copper case, you will have to prime and load them yourself. They sell priming compound kits and you can make a quick roller to roll the compound in the rim. I will be making 56-50 and 56-56 Spencer also.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Roberson Ctg Co has all the 44 rim fire cases and half the price of Dixie.  Then buy 6mm Flobert primers and your reloading

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint