Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .44 rf Rolling Block ammo (Read 10881 times)
Gunfunpow

.44 rf Rolling Block ammo
Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
So I have this nice old roller, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea how to make rimfire ammo for this at home. I posted the rifle under general discussion seeking advice on whether or not to convert to cf. I got a pm saying it could be done, but I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .44 rf Rolling Block ammo
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I had guessed from your previous photos that you likely had a .38 RF.  Nope, a .44, the infamous .44 Henry, I presume.  You will likely need a heeled bullet mold and there are others here who can advise you on that.  As for the cases, Dixie Gun Works sells machined brass cases that work off a .22 blank (item # KA0206) for $8.50 each.  Expensive, yes, but long lasting.  And having to orient the case in the chamber won't be any deal at all compared to the fun of being able to go BANG!

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2018 at 10:17am by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Can't offer any advice re the DIY aspect. I think your best bet would be to contact Bob Hayley in Texas. He made some reloadable .58-60 rimfire brass for my 1865 .58 cal Springfield (aka "1st Allin Alteration") that works quite well. If it can be made he can make it, and he's a fun guy to boot.

Hayley's Custom Ammunition
940-888-3352

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I was able to make 44 RF ammo (primed with a pulled .22 LR case) for a C. B. Howard open frame rifle using an appropriate .44 case (measure your chamber to check dimensions and choose the case that you can buy that requires the least trimming) with the primer hole plugged with a brass plug soldered in place, then drilled out and cut with a .22 match chamber reamer, so that the firing pin will hit the rim of the .22 LR case when placed in the chamber to fire. Old West had a suitable heeled bullet mould. I expect the cases to last forever. .38 cases are the larges CF cases that can be drilled and reamed without putting in the brass plug first when making the CF to RF conversion in this manner.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
bisaacson wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:47pm:
I was able to make 44 RF ammo (primed with a pulled .22 LR case) for a C. B. Howard open frame rifle using an appropriate .44 case (measure your chamber to check dimensions and choose the case that you can buy that requires the least trimming) with the primer hole plugged with a brass plug soldered in place, then drilled out and cut with a .22 match chamber reamer, so that the firing pin will hit the rim of the .22 LR case when placed in the chamber to fire. Old West had a suitable heeled bullet mould. I expect the cases to last forever. .38 cases are the larges CF cases that can be drilled and reamed without putting in the brass plug first when making the CF to RF conversion in this manner.

Pretty much what Hayley does. For the 58 he starts with a 28ga brass shot shell (swaged down to 58), drills a new "priming hole" towards the outer edge of the rim, and uses a 22rf blank for the primer.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Dixie Gun Works used to sell the .44RF adapter cases and the .22 blanks needed to fire them. I got some in a six pack from them years ago.

Looks like they still sell them:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for all the input, I am leaning the way of using the Dixie cases with .22 blanks and black powder. I just have to slug the bore to figure out the correct round ball size. I also read on another post about a Texas company that does small runs of CNC produced brass. Just because I would like the brass to be the same length as my chamber size and I'm not certain of the Dixie shell's case length. It's all good, gives me more to research!

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
A chamber cast may reveal that this may be a 44 RF Long, a Ballard round left over from the war, found also in Marlin Ballard #2s.  Longer than Henry cases, but made obsolete by the 44WCF which was later chambered in the #2 Ballard.  I think the Dixie cases were for this one.  If you slug the bore, it would be interesting to see what it is.

James

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I posted this in my Ballard thread as well, but will duplicate it here.  I bought an Old West mould for a heeled bullet to duplicate the .44 rimfire bullet.  My Ballard slugs at .440" groove and this mould is .440" x .418".  I'm hoping that these will be more accurate than shooting .440" round balls.  I'll have to cast some samples and test them at the range ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
What is the twist in the Ballard?  Surely it is faster than 48"?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Not sure ... I'll have to run a rod with a tight patch through the bore and measure it.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I'm draggging up this old thread as it looks like I will soon have a .44 rimfire #2 rolling block in my sweaty little hands Smiley  I've been playing with reloadable 32 rimfires and those converted to centerfire for years. I'm well versed in the use of heel bullets.  But this will be my first 44.   

Of course the first step will be a chamber cast to see if its a long or extra long, and I'll slug the bore to see what it is. 

I'd love to hear your loading experiences, how to's and tips for doing this.

Thanks
Steve

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I've owned a couple, and the first thing I'd do it rework it to CF and use .44 Special cases with a heeled bullet. It will make shooting it so much easier, and more fun too.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:53pm:
I've owned a couple, and the first thing I'd do it rework it to CF and use .44 Special cases with a heeled bullet. It will make shooting it so much easier, and more fun too.

I've done the centerfire conversion to a 32 #4 and a #2. Yes, it does make like easier.  Were your .44 #2s in long or extra long?  I would suspect #2s would be longs, the extra longs for use in #1-1/2 or #1s.  What bullet did you use?  Do you recall the bore/groove sizes?   

I am fond of #2s.  My others are in .32wcf and .32 rf converted to centerfire/Ballard XL.

Lots of questions Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I did have #2 Ballard rifles in .44 Long, and one was CF only, and the other reversible firing pin. So I didn't have to convert either. Both had the typical .452" groove that a .44 Long usually has.
The other I converted was a #1 1/2 Rolling Block in .44 Long, which also had a .452" groove. After converting it with a simple breech block swap I shot it a lot, and it had a beautiful bore. It shot extremely well, and I enjoyed shooting it. I also own an original #1 early Rolling Block round top Sporting Rifle presently in .44 Long that was already converted when I bought it. Haven't shot it much, but it too has a similar .451" groove, so I'll keep using the same mold for it that I used for others.
I had another #1 Rolling Block that was an original .44 Long CF and I sold it to a friend. He had it rechambered to .44-77 SBN and loved it a lot more than the original .44 Long as he shoots long range with it.

I also like #2 Rolling Blocks, but only have one in .32-20. I had a minty #2 in .22 Long RF, but it was too nice to shoot, and too valuable to keep. I sold it, and got the .32-20 soon after.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint