Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does anyone hunt using breachseated cast bullets (Read 16506 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Does anyone hunt using breachseated cast bullets
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
Always hated dropping a buck on a steep hillside and then after a clean kill have them kick a little and roll 100 yds. deeper into the draw they stood on!

I once confirmed my cardiac fitness by dragging such a buck about 200M up a very steep slope all by myself. It was an "all 4s" kinda task.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I remember one bull elk that just stood there wondering what all the fuss was about. There were several of us there as we had just pulled up to a log landing early morning and were about to make a plan to hunt the area when a small herd of cows and a bull were spotted across a canyon about 200-250 yards out. 

Everyone grabbed their guns and started blazing away. I saw several hits through my scope. One of the guys told me to drop him and asked why I wasn't shooting.  I told them to stop, he had been hit several times and the last shot was in the hind quarter.  Cry  They finally quit shooting  Grin  The elk had at least 2 good shots through the chest.  The herd was still standing there wondering what all the fuss was about.  After another minute or 2, the herd started to move forward. As the bull started to take a step, he fell on his nose and never made another move.   

I have found several elk carcasses in the woods that hunters lost and did not have the skills to track. The worst I remember was a 3 legged elk caught in  a V notch of downed logs.  It was a cow as I recall. It had obviously been shot in the hind quarters during rifle season.  It looked like the wound had started to heal.  WE spotted it across a small canyon in a clear cut. There was a vehicle driving along and it was close to the road.   They killed it.  We hiked across the canyon just for curiosity's sake  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:30pm:
Vall,

Nowadays, on steep hillsides, I only shoot uphill (sights always below the crest line)... it took awhile, but I finally learned to stay out of those steep brush-choked draw bottoms... they aren't as fun as they once were.    Grin

That is one thing you learn quick on the west side of the Cascades, do I really want to do this here?  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
As I read the various recent posts about critters that did not know they were "already dead", I start to think a major difference between my experience with critters running away (death run) could be that all my deer and elk hunting was in "black forest" or other heavily forested areas where I was quite close to them when I shot, sometimes only 10s of meters away -- they knew I was there, even watching as I shot. Longest shot was about 150M across a small burn area at a nice eating elk that barked at us interlopers before getting shot. All dropped their tails as they ran away, sure sign of mortally shot critter.

SOP was to give those critters at least 5 min to die, least an approach would cause them to run much further away, perhaps leaving no blood trail or other clear indication where they went (especially important in dense vegetation).

Rifles were 308 or 7X57 Mauser, often with heavy Hornady or Nosler Partition bullets, or .54 muzzleloader with T/C conicals.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:49pm:
As I read the various recent posts about critters that did not know they were "already dead", I start to think a major difference between my experience with critters running away (death run) could be that all my deer and elk hunting was in "black forest" or other heavily forested areas where I was quite close to them when I shot, sometimes only 10s of meters away -- they knew I was there, even watching as I shot. Longest shot was about 150M across a small burn area at a nice eating elk that barked at us interlopers before getting shot. All dropped their tails as they ran away, sure sign of mortally shot critter.

SOP was to give those critters at least 5 min to die, least an approach would cause them to run much further away, perhaps leaving no blood trail or other clear indication where they went (especially important in dense vegetation).

Rifles were 308 or 7X57 Mauser, often with heavy Hornady or Nosler Partition bullets, or .54 muzzleloader with T/C conicals.

Western Cascade forests are plenty thick, enough so that when still-hunting through them, shooting light in the mornings is delayed by about 30-45 minutes in the timber, as compared with the open cut areas... and the evening shooting light in the timber disappears by about that same 30-45 minutes earlier than in the open areas.
Cover is also closer in the thick timber, and animals normally don't have to move more than a handful of yards to be hidden.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Have now and then driven through those forests, years ago, and would not want to hunt in such dense forests.

Black forest of Montana (Bob Marshall Wilderness mostly), similar places in Colorado, also Catskills and Adirondacks in New York State, Hill Country in central Texas, older hardwood forests in "Mid-West" and some Southern states (Virginia and West Virginia) have been places I hunted deer, turkeys, grouse. 

Closest shot was a deer I almost literally stepped on while crossing dense new growth on way to a well traveled ridge crossing deer used often.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:21pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Closest shot I never got to take was in an elk herd in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The brush was thicker than I expected to get into.  Down low, I could see elk legs all over the place  Grin  No way to tell if any of them were legal bulls  Cry  No way to get a shot before they were gone if I had known  Huh 

Sometimes the snow and ice would get packed so hard between the scope and action I was hunting with a single shot whether I wanted to or not.  Couldn't even unload it at camp until it thawed out. Maybe road hunters have the right idea  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Bob,

There's good reason you got to at least see elk legs in that thick stuff, but not along the roads through it.    Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:06pm:
The brush was thicker than I expected to get into.  Down low, I could see elk legs all over the place  Grin 

On a spring trip into mountains in southern Colorado long ago I encountered a sizable herd of elk in a thicket so dense I could see parts of elk all around be but nothing more of them. There was almost no air movement but I was amazed that largish herd would feed all around and past me so close but never sound alarm as they passed. Seemed like they knew I was no threat so far outside hunting season.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I wondered why they didn't catch my scent and spook.   

BP, One of the few I nave seen on the road was on the way over Chinook Pass to go goat hunting. I had made several trips about dusk and had not seen a deer or elk.  I thought that was odd. About then an elk popped out in front of me and loped straight down the center line.  You don't dare pass them.  The only thing riskier is passing a drunk driver.  Grin  After about 1/2 - 3/4 mile she cut right in front of me and off into the woods to live happily ever after  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Bob,

When out glassing open areas, I've watched animals lock up and freeze, and let people walk right on past very close by them, and without the people ever seeing them, and then watched some animals turn and start following along behind as if asking themselves "What's that human doing?".
Guess at particular times when they're feeling pretty safe, animals just get real curious too.    Wink

At various times of the year when driving on Hwy 12 between White Pass and I-5, there has been heavy fog and elk will come out of the timber to graze close by along the sides of the road. Those times make me glad I don't drive some low-riding plastic/aluminum beercan peanut of a car. If one suddenly ran out in front of you, and you took the legs out from under it, it could come over the hood, through the windshield, and end up in your lap.    Shocked

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I have seen that too.  I always watch my back track hunting.  It can be the easiest way to spot game  Roll Eyes

I have been lucky. Only hit one in Oregon out by Joseph last year.  Right on the edge of town too, luckily.  I was slowing down. All I saw was a pair of ears over the hood and bam!  Glad I was in my pickup.  Grin

I worked in eastern WA one winter on a hospital in Republic.  Going over on Sunday nights I saw a lot of them.  The tin benders from Bremerton weren't so lucky, wrecked 3 trucks that winter  Shocked

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Long ago, while hiking in a relatively high mountain area, we stopped to rest maybe 10M off main trail. Part of reason to stop was a noisy Boy Scout mob behind us. After the BSers had gone by we were surprised and happy to see a herd of Mtn Sheep start peeking up the trail, watching last of BSers go out of sight. Then they slowly crossed maybe 30M away from us. So, we had an interesting half hour or so watching the entire herd go by, including several quite small. Wind was in our favor.

Had we not gotten well off trail before BSers passed, I wonder if we would have seen any of those Mtn Sheep.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:02am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:43pm:
Bob,

If one suddenly ran out in front of you, and you took the legs out from under it, it could come over the hood, through the windshield, and end up in your lap.    Shocked

Came upon such a mess in open range area once. Car was a convertible, critter was a horse. Driver instantly killed, horse badly injured and put down. A very sickening accident scene!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Most of my deer and elk hunting has been in Eastern Oregon where there's little or no timber. But shots have been at all ranges from as close as 30 yds. to over 360 yds. 
The first year I began hunting with antique single shots I figured I wanted to get as close as possible, so when we spotted 3 bucks in tall grass, I knew it was going to be tough to get close! 
We were 500 yds. away, and my brother and I got on our bellies and slithered through 3' tall grass for probably 45 minutes! When I felt I was possibly close enough I turned on my back and turned my feet towards the direction we crawled. I readied my rifle and as I sat up I cocked the hammer on my Ballard, only to see 3 bucks staring at me 30 yds. away! 
I quickly picked the one straight in line with my sights and took a shoulder shot. The buck dropped, and the other two trotted off, but stopped to look at their deceased partner as each passed by him. Strangest reaction I'd seen from other bucks in years of hunting. They usually bolt as fast as they can go!
That big buck I had roll down into the draw after what I thought was a perfect shoulder shot, weighed over 200 lbs. on the hoof! Even after field dressing him I wasn't able to drag him up the draw by myself, and my niece's husband wasn't much help except to carry both guns. Every time I stopped he'd start to slide back down, and it wasn't until my brother and my nephew arrived that we were able to drag him to the top where it was all downhill to the truck about 2 miles away!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint