Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turning Necks (Read 21270 times)
Dales
Senior Forum Member

Re: Turning Necks
Reply #75 - May 28th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
I find this discussion very interesting , but as a naturally lazy person I try to do as little as I can get away with to achieve acceptable results . What size groups (at 100yds & 200yds.)do you strive to reach ?
Dales

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 28th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks Vall, I was wondering when somebody that had some of the RMC cases would speak. I found it strange that nowhere else had they been so roundly condemned. But, I still think if cases are that important to the 'extreeeeem' accuracy in breech seating for group size, they'd be worth a go.
I mean, what's the down side of trying something that you could know is concentric, plus any primer pocket you like?
Dales, in real life I'm closer to you than I am to the other guys. Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - May 28th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Dale's 1/2 inch and under at 100yds. and the smallest I can achieve at 200yds. dependant on the day but if not if at least around an 11/4 there is very little hope of keeping them in the 25 ring and it leaves a very small margin of error at that. The fault I see mostly is the lack of one spending enough time on the sighter to insure ones rifle is tuned for at least that before going for record. The other not spending enough time to pick the right condition to do it in for the day.  Example at our recent ISSA Regional in May and in the anysight match I had a bit over 25 shots on my sigther target to accomplish both before going for the recorded scores. If not doing so it would have really just boiled down to a hope and a prayer and the conditions some of the worst I have seen for awhile.. It's all about working into having full confidence and knowing full well if you do your part and are able to call each of your shots you will do just fine when all is said and done and it will be a very successful day.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #78 - May 28th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply John are those 5 or 10 shot  groups ?  I agree on the sighter work I often have a lot more  holes in my sighter targets .
Dales

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - May 28th, 2018 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 1:57pm:
Dale's 1/2 inch and under at 100yds. and the smallest I can achieve at 200yds. dependant on the day but if not if at least around an 11/4 there is very little hope of keeping them in the 25 ring and it leaves a very small margin of error at that. The fault I see mostly is the lack of one spending enough time on the sighter to insure ones rifle is tuned for at least that before going for record. The other not spending enough time to pick the right condition to do it in for the day.  Example at our recent ISSA Regional in May and in the anysight match I had a bit over 25 shots on my sigther target to accomplish both before going for the recorded scores. If not doing so it would have really just boiled down to a hope and a prayer and the conditions some of the worst I have seen for awhile.. It's all about working into having full confidence and knowing full well if you do your part and are able to call each of your shots you will do just fine when all is said and done and it will be a very successful day.

JLouis

As JL always points out the scores that I shoot, at are in the lower range, I must point out his scores that he speaks of, above.

244 and a 247. 

Maybe more foulers would have helped or maybe he was indexing his case wrong? Or maybe he just didn't hope and pray enough?

Sorry guy's but, he shouldn't mind as, he does this to me at any opportunity he can. Right JL? Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - May 28th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Regarding case life of turned cases. I've made a few of them for my A&M barreled, 30/40 HW.

I have one that I made in 1985 that is still usable. It was made of bronze. I made one, at the same time that was made out of 303 SS and it lasted about 10-12 years until the neck finally collapsed, because it didn't seal. I flared it and got about 100 more shots before it did it again and spilt.

I re-chambered it to 30/40 Imp and made another bronze case (this one Aluminum Bronze) for it and have a few hundred rounds shot from it. Aluminum bronze is also much stronger that regular bronze.

!0 shot group, pictured is from this last case.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - May 28th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Don't pay no mind to Frank it's not what you shoot but where you place and in this instance the ISSA Regional it was 2nd. for any sight, first for irons and the same for grand agg.. Dale when shooting a match I sight in on the #21 on the ASSRA AS target at 12:00 o'clock. The only goal is to get my vertical dispersion down to it's very minimum and typically around 1 inch or a bit less while having no concern with the horizontal and just only the vertical dispersion for now. Once I have this fully established I will work on the horizontal and it is all basically conditions at this point. So I now just look for the best usable prevailing condition to shoot and after finding I have now established my hold off for that condition. I will then go to the 25 ring to verify it and if good I will then go for the recorded scores but not before. If not I then drop down to the #21 at six o'clock and continue to work on it and then back up to the 25 ring to verify. The only exception is time sometimes will force me to go before fully being ready to my own complete satisfaction. But if so I will generally have a good enough handle on it to remain in the top three and always my goal. In regards to groups it would be 5 shot at a 100 and 10 at 200 and the reason for the later is score shooting is basically the same as group shooting. Don I should add and clarify all though the horizontal is my second real concern I am paying real close attention to the conditions in order to get my verticle down it being the first and foremost. When moving onto the horizontal it is more about how much and how far the wind and mirage moves my bullet the direction is pretty much well established when working on the vertical  

I hope this is all somehow very helpful to you.
JLouis
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2018 at 7:33pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - May 28th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I didn't even think of using improved metals for the cases, but that'd be even better, it seems to me. Thanks. 

By the way, I hope we all enjoy the gift of our fallen military people today. And, give a bit of thanks for them, and those who have ever served our country. Probably ought to have begun a new thread for this, but, here it is anyhow.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - May 28th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Frank if you are going to try to make an honest and valid point instead of the same ole meaningless trying to pick on me BS please make one that is at least comparable as in your instance you came in dead last and I in 2nd. 

Sorry folks this subject has been very productive and I hope to continue it as such but not sure about a few of the others at this point who as always seem to have another agenda. 
JLouis
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2018 at 6:53pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - May 28th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Frank is that a 100yd. or 200yd. group I don't see it noted and if the latter not bad shooting. Also found the case making material to also be a bit interesting. 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
200 yards for the 10 shot group.

This is 5 shots at 200 yards but, it was using my 33 ELCO Max, with multiple Remington cases and no indexing. I use 12 cases with it.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Dale I would highly recommend you sending Jerry H and or Jack Hughes a PM to get their valued opinions and by no means don't just go by my own and I think you would surely benefit if you were to do so. 

JLouis

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #87 - May 29th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Would like to see lathe picture set ups for turning brass. I need to skim off about .0005 of any high spots for even neck tension.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - May 29th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
kkid66 wrote on May 29th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Would like to see lathe picture set ups for turning brass. I need to skim off about .0005 of any high spots for even neck tension.

Do you have collects and gauge pins?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 29th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
21/2 tenths per side being consistently being taken off is asking alot out of any setup and I am not really sure if it is even doable. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint