Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turning Necks (Read 21266 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Turning Necks
Reply #60 - May 27th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
If the cases are so important to the work in a breech seated situation, why haven't the 'records' been set by a fellow using brass turned from stock? Such cases would be identical and much more concentric- or, is it elsewhere the problem lays?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - May 27th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
They don't tend to last some not even making it through one firing. I Once had six to try, three small primer and three large 32-40 and I lost the first five fired and saved the last for a seater case as the interiors are cylindrical. I also had quite a few that came with my 25-21 and all though I did not loose as many because I quit using them. After only a few firings the primers would just fall out so just a real waste of money if they havent since changed the brass they we're using. They were quite hard would not expand and if trying to bell the mouth they would just split. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - May 27th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Both NBRSA and CBA fixed ammo shooters have told me they reject about 75% of the cases when testing a new lot. 

Back in the early 90s after I shot my first 250 I spent a couple years testing every factor I could think of trying to duplicate it.  Most critical was achieving consistency with the offhand stock and especially the 3” prongs on my Ballard.  Shooting enough to maintain that consistency, I eventually discovered the single most critical factor to be the age of the lube on the bullet. I always shot with a single case loaded at the bench.  I did not find any inconsistencies breach seating with multiple single cases indexed but I did not test random orientations. An occasional misoriented case did not cause any noticeable differences at the target.  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #63 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Schutzenmeister, what you were told regarding case rejection was not recent. With the offering of Lapua brass case rejection is minimal. I have won matches fireforming virgin Lapua brass that I annealed, necked up to 30 cal from 6mm, and neck turned. Keith

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I do not know what brands they were referring to, but I spoke to a BR guy at Tacoma on Friday and the CBA shooter at Kenmore yesterday.   

On Tuesday there was a CBA military shooter fire forming Lapua at Puyallup getting ready for the CBA Military Nationals, but we did not discuss case quality.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Another interesting note on the years of testing  to duplicate the 250.  20:1 shot better than 30:1 on freshly lubed bullets; less than 9 months old.  But with lube that has aged on the bullet for at least 1 year, I could not tell any difference between the 20:1 and 
30:1.  I assume these are peculiarities to Pope rifling.  Undecided

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - May 27th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
When I recently shot the 250 with the 28 the lube had been on those bullets for eight months BobZ. I tend to think the choice of lube might have a direct bearing on shelf life and any loss or possible gains in accuracy. That was actually untypical of me I fell  ill and did not shoot for those eight months. I always try to lube a few a days before being used and I was a bit concerned. On the other hand during the off season I used to try and cast enough bullets to get me through a year of matches and practice and typically around 2500 and I never noticed a difference nor were there ever enough cast to make it all the way through. I would then just pull what I felt I needed for the occasion off the shelf and then lube them and any left overs went right back into the pot. The reason for doing so is I am very adamant about shooting in the order as cast and they would all be so marked. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - May 27th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Are these factory or converted cases?

One thing I have found over time is one cartridges body can make a very poor neck on another cartridge. Quite often the the neck thickness becomes tapered and thickness varies.

I think it would worth getting a few on a dial indicator to check thickness and run out. If it’s excessive, turn one that you have observed the problem and see if it improves.

It’s an interesting thought. But I don’t think that tightening tolerances is ever a bad idea.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Dellet my cases for the 28-35SS are 25-35 cases necked up and trimmed. I should just go ahead and dial in a case on my lathe and turn a neck. I have an attachment for the cross slide so I can bypass the tail stock that gives me the ability to make the adjustments to have the case setup to be running true prior too. Now trying just trying to figure out how many I should do after going through all the effort to set the lathe up and not having to do so again should they make me even more happier than I already am? 

JLouis

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
By some chance of good luck, do you have the case that you shot the rotating pattern with?

It would be good to have a known before and after example of dimensions, runout and then actual results.

Something to consider is neck fit after turning, first firings might be disappointing or actual results might not be worth it. I’d probably rather setup up everything twice than end up trashing a bunch of brass.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
JL, My own lube a year or 2 old is the only one that comes close to shooting 250's.  I have experimented with Jerry Hartwig's lube and Alberta Schuetzen for lubes I can put on and shoot without aging.  The jury is still out. Dell 59C does not work in this rifle.

BTW, My cases are original Winchester 32-40.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - May 27th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Dellet I have yet to come across a case when rotating that does not show the same affects they all do so at least the ones I have do.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - May 27th, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
BobZ strange in that the 59C hasn't worked for you? I found it to be far one of the best lubes I have used and the only reason I no longer use it is do to having the entire lower row of bones removed from my right wrist and it hurts like the dickens to say the least when trying to push the bullets out of the lube cake when fully set. What I now use and have since the surgery back in 2011 is 75% Javelina Schuetzen Lube purchased from Jerry and 25 % Dell59 C. It is noted as JJ250 on my equipment list and or tagets and stands for John and Jerry's 250 Lube. It started out 75 Dell 25 JSL, 50 Dell 50 JSL and finally 25 Dell 75 JSL to fit my now not so painful needs and it works very well for me in more ways than one. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2018 at 7:06pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I have concluded, rightly or wrongly, it has something to do with how slick the lube is in the Pope rifling. There are no definite divisions between the groove and land, just a bunch of curves  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #74 - May 28th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I have mostly formed brass cases, but also have a good amount of RMC lathe turned brass. I was told by RMC to anneal cases prior to using them and did so for the top half of the cases. I have numerous loadings on them with no issues at all with case mouth or primer pocket failures. They seem to work the same as my formed cases do so far.
Unsure of the age of the RMC brass I have as it came with guns I purchased as new brass.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint