Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turning Necks (Read 20277 times)
Myers
Senior Forum Member

Re: Turning Necks
Reply #30 - May 24th, 2018 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
John. I agree with sorting cases while shooting. For instance in good conditions practicing if a shot goes out for no reason then I toss the case. This is in my 32 Miller as I have on hand 300 ea ready to use. After sorting by shooting method I have reduced the number of those "funny shots"

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - May 24th, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
Dellet wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:05pm:
I carried the practice of numbering cases over from archery, where it was common to find one or two arrows out of a dozen that just would not go where you wanted.

This has eliminated an unexplained flyer more than once.

Wish I could figure out how to sort .22 RF like that  Roll Eyes

The sorting is the easy part. Verifying the trouble case is repeatedly the flyer is more challenging in a rimfire Cheesy

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 24th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Holy scotchbrite pads! If I tossed a case everytime one went out, I'd be outta the shootin' racket in no time. 
But, when I get a bum shot from now on, I can shake my noggin and profess another case has gone sour. I'll sound so fu..... doggone wise to the fellow next to me with the AR-xxxxxxx.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:27am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:35pm:
BobZ I would tend to think it safe to say by rotating the case it enlarges the group by at least two bullet diameters on a nice shooting day for such testing and will clearly form a circle. Going around the 25 ring is more of a visual expression rather than the actual and one used to more easily understand the overall effects. 

JLouis

How often do you find cases that will shoot all around the clock positions in he group?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

P1

Reply #34 - May 25th, 2018 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I did a lot of load testing with a 22-250 some years ago and found that cases with turned necks produced a different shaped group from unturned.  I have no way of telling if it is where the pressure acted on the base or if it produced different harmonics, but the groups were significantly different in shape.  I ended up turning the necks of my 40-50SS cases made from 30-40 brass to get a proper fit breach seating. I can’t comment on accuracy but the cases fit good and have lasted many firings.  I believe that it is a technique worth trying.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #35 - May 25th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I carried the practice of numbering cases over from archery, where it was common to find one or two arrows out of a dozen that just would not go where you wanted.

Do you have access to a CMM?  (coordinate measuring machine)  you COULD measure the roundess, cylindricity of each round and the perpendicularity to the base.  Knowing those you COULD rotate to orient all of them the same way, reducing group sizes.

Perhaps the high-dollar .22's could be prepackaged and MARKED by the manufacturer that way.  Wink

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #36 - May 25th, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
I have never neck turned any of my cases i always thought it was un necessary. I will admit that i file a v groove in the rim of all my cases. When I load the V groove always goes to 12:00. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
BobZ each of those I have used when doing the testing. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Thanks Keith and I do appreciate your input as it appears to be new to some of the good folks here and indeed valuable information. When you were shooting Jacketed Benchrest would you have to do the same shoot and sort or does it seem to be more related to breech seating based on your long term experience. I do know it was very common in Heavy Class CBA but by using a single case for the match not multiple and I have seen several tossed to find the match quality cases but clueless when it comes to Jacketed. I should add the 30BR cases used in Heavy Class CBA were properly prepped, neck turned, primer pockets uniformed etc, etc. before being fired and sorted. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2018 at 10:31am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #39 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Seems I have something else to worry about, or another excuse for poor accuracy. This is making my head hurt.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #40 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 8:42am:
I have never neck turned any of my cases i always thought it was un necessary. I will admit that i file a v groove in the rim of all my cases. When I load the V groove always goes to 12:00. 

40 Rod

Do you also orient the groove to the resizing die?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - May 25th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Vall don't let it crawl into your head it's just another step on the road to success that not everyone is willing to take based on their own individual goals they set for themselves. But also really not all that difficult to do if one is willing to spend the time and effort. Indexing and using a single case eliminates most of it. Knowing if the case wants to shoot or not is something that just comes naturally over time being spent getting to fully know ones rifle. It then becomes quite obvious and quite easy to identify those that do want to shoot from those that just do not.   

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 7:25am:

Do you have access to a CMM?  (coordinate measuring machine)  you COULD measure the roundess, cylindricity of each round and the perpendicularity to the base.  Knowing those you COULD rotate to orient all of them the same way, reducing group sizes.

Perhaps the high-dollar .22's could be prepackaged and MARKED by the manufacturer that way.  Wink

I'll probably have to settle for orienting them nose first  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
JL, Not sure I asked the question very well.  How often do you find a case that will shoot in to the group no matter which way you turn the case?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - May 25th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
BobZ I always index my case so I have never spent the time and effort to go out to try to find one that might not require my doing so, so should I have one I really cannot honesty say one way or the other. I also and a quite common practice index the bullet and I also and not a so common practice index the primer as well.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint