Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turning Necks (Read 20280 times)
Dales
Senior Forum Member

Re: Turning Necks
Reply #105 - May 30th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Calledflyer
Portville is a small town in western NY ,P1 and I shot some modern benchrest matches there a few years ago.
Not sure why he posted that , maybe he thinks I am trying to make my cast bullets shoot as well as 6PPC did and we would not want that.
Dale S

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - May 30th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you, I was in NY state two times. Once in summer-damn near died. Once in winter-damn near died. Lovely place.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Out of curiosity I turned necks on two cases today. Both 30-30 made by Remington. The first I turned as a 30-30. It did not clean up completely at .0025” removed. At .0015” contact was distinctly lopsided, about 60% contact around the neck.

The second case, I ran through a 25-35 die and then expanded the neck back out to .284. It cleaned up with .0028” removed. Again it was very clearly one sided removal. 

Finished thickness is .009”, minimum thickness that I could measure before turning was almost .011.

These might have been the worst necks I have ever turned. Besides clearly only cutting one side, there were plenty of high spots.

No  idea if cleaning them up will help in a Breech seated firing, but from what I found, necks being about .0015” thicker on one side, shooting points of a square by rotating the case 1/4 turn each time seems possible.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information and I believe I now might have forgotten to reply to one of your earlier posts. I do have some 30-30 cases on hand to play with down the road but getting ready for our monthly match this Sat. so might do so after. I was pretty certain in my own mind that what you found might end up being the case. I also tend to think if your cases were fully fireformed prior to your results might have varied a tad bit and that will be my approach if and when I get around to doing the same and thanks again for taking the time to share your own findings. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

butch lambert

Reply #109 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:15pm:
Thanks for the information and I believe I now might have forgotten to reply to one of your earlier posts. I do have some 30-30 cases on hand to play with down the road but getting ready for our monthly match this Sat. so might do so after. I was pretty certain in my own mind that what you found might end up being the case. I also tend to think if your cases were fully fireformed prior to your results might have varied a tad bit and that will be my approach if and when I get around to doing the same and thanks again for taking the time to share your own findings. 

JLouis

I do it on my BR brass, but with a chamber for a loose neck, it is a waste of time.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your input Butch and also very highly appreciated. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send TopicPrint