Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turning Necks (Read 20151 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Turning Necks
May 23rd, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Just something I have always thought about but never experimented with in the past. Has anyone here tried turning and truing up the necks on a breech seated case and if so what might you have found. This probably pertains more towards the bottle necked cases of which are not typically used or possibly a straight necked 32-40 case more typically used. If not and there is an interest it might be something I would be willing to do after getting back some positive, negative or simply just untried feedback.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Turning Necks
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I use one of these K&M for turning case necks John:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Read an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine. For what it's worth the gist of the article was on turning case necks such as you posted. The article listed a few cases that could be sized down from and then neck turned. One case mentioned was using the 375 Winchester case to 30-30 and would give you a thick necked 30-30 case that then could be neck turned down to give you a better fit in the chamber. Never heard about sizing the 375 case to 32-40 though and wether or not in sizing down would give you the length needed for an original 32-40 case. Since the 375 cartridge is loaded to much higher pressures 50k versus the 30-30 40k naturally the case is of course thicker and heavier. If a slightly shorter case would be ok then the 375 case then it might work and the added benefit of having a stronger 32-40 case somewhat similar to the old everlasting cases. Sizing down the 375 case )maybe annealing first and making sure no dented case necks) Using Imperial case lube and running through a 32-40 die with the expander ball removed in increments rotating the case 180 degrees each short stroke the press handle rather than all in one shot. Realizing that 375 Win cases may be in short supply may make this all a moot point. Just my thoughts though. Now I have to did in my reloading supplies to find those freezer baggies of 30-40 Krag brass. 1898 Krag and 1895 Win saddle ring carbine. Please post results am interested in how it all turns out. Frank

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Just read the description of the case turner.
Would bet a dollar it uses the same thread mechanism as on the Pope interchangeable barrel rifle.
Chuck

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2018 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I don't believe neck turning on a cartridge case with a breech seated bullet would provide any benefit. The reason behind neck turning brass, with the bullet seated in the case, is to insure that the grip on the bullet is equal and that it in perfect allignment with the bore. By breech seating, the bullet has already been placed in perfect allignment ( we hope), and the case is merely a container for powder. With the advent of cartridge cases manufactured with attention to wall thickness, which translates to neck wall thickness, such as Lapua, the need to turn necks is still neccesary, but not nearly as much. As an example, most PPC chambers were cut for a .262 neck, but many benchrest shooters are finding that .268 necks are adequate because the necks are more consistent. It wouldn't hurt to turn a case for breech seating, but don't think the return would be worth the effort and time involved. Just one mans opinion.   Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 12:33am:
I don't believe neck turning on a cartridge case with a breech seated bullet would provide any benefit.    Krag

Totally agree Krag! I only turn necks on brass used for fixed bullets. And usually only if the bore size vs. case is an interference fit that wont allow a large enough bullet and still chamber. 
I have a couple guns that have such large bores that I saw no way they could have ever fired fixed ammo and were always breech seated. I couldn't thin the necks enough to allow shooting fixed ammo.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 12:33am:
I don't believe neck turning on a cartridge case with a breech seated bullet would provide any benefit. The reason behind neck turning brass, with the bullet seated in the case, is to insure that the grip on the bullet is equal and that it in perfect alignment with the bore. By breech seating, the bullet has already been placed in perfect alignment ( we hope), and the case is merely a container for powder. With the advent of cartridge cases manufactured with attention to wall thickness, which translates to neck wall thickness, such as Lapua, the need to turn necks is still necessary, but not nearly as much. As an example, most PPC chambers were cut for a .262 neck, but many benchrest shooters are finding that .268 necks are adequate because the necks are more consistent. It wouldn't hurt to turn a case for breech seating, but don't think the return would be worth the effort and time involved. Just one mans opinion.   Krag 

+1.  That is my view also.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I doubt that much difference would be seen if you cut the case back to the shoulder, eliminating the neck completely. Maybe up the incidence of powder spilling, but not actual shooting. Just an opinion that's probably not welcome.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 12:50pm:
I doubt that much difference would be seen if you cut the case back to the shoulder, eliminating the neck completely. Maybe up the incidence of powder spilling, but not actual shooting. Just an opinion that's probably not welcome.

Excellent idea, Pat! A test like that could tell you if the neck area had any influence on accuracy, good or bad.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Cutting the neck off to the shoulder would probably eliminate the gas seal or you could be right CF. The neck typically is the gas seal and perhaps turning it might improve it and one part of my thought process. Equal gas distribution behind the bullet another as often times one side of the neck is thicker than the other. So just wondering if it might move the gas off towards one side and not being central with the base of the bullet. Could this be possibly why we index the case I guess would also be a part of the question. I can notice the effects when rotating a case 1/4 turn each time as it changes the bullet placement on the target and have done it enough times to have proven it to myself. But might have to do with the entire case and not just the neck?

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
All I really know here is that in physics I was taught that with expanding gasses  "pressure is pressure", whatever there is is the same everywhere in a closed container.  The gas coming out of the fired case doesn't just go forward, but pressurizes the entire space. In a rifle it'll 'grow' that space by moving the bullet forward(that's why muzzle pressure is different than chamber peaks). But, at any given time the number is the same everywhere. Don't matter if it's off center a thousandth or two.
The 'real' benchresters center the thing with turned necks for bullet alignment, not pressure reasons. But, you may be right about the neckless case not sealing that gas. 
And, that's enough of my gas for now. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Makes sense CF why do you think the rotation of the case 1/4 turn each time changes the point of impact on the target. 

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Frankly, in a breech seated situation, I don't think it changes a thing. If you get a twinge that way, you need to keep upping the sample base. Then, you'll probably find out that it was just an abberation. Just call me Joe Brennan...... Angry

P.S. One reason I just thought of was that you don't even have a vague assurance the powder is in the same place from shot to shot. If something as important as the powder charge varies, the teeny change in case rotation is null.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 2:59pm:
Makes sense CF why do you think the rotation of the case 1/4 turn each time changes the point of impact on the target. 

JLouis

How much does it move?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Another variable, is the primer pocket and flash hole. 

You'll need to actually measure the amount of run out, that they have before you can say that it will or will not change POI on the target, when indexing a case. Not that it "looks" centered but, that it is actually centered.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint