Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Charlie Dell. Lube pumps (Read 3889 times)
ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Charlie Dell. Lube pumps
May 15th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
How many lube pumps did Charlie make, I have #94, seems like a lot of lube pumps. Ledball

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Charlie Dell. Lube pumps
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
    Willis Gregory may be able to tell us for sure.   I don't know if he continued with Charlie's serial #'s or not.  One of mine is #116, and I think the other one is 120--something.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Maybe Willis will tell us how many he made, how much did he get for these pumps, I never thought to ask, mine came in a trade.   Ledball

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Could someone post a picture of one of the pumps?

Thanks,
Sakoman

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Here is the one I make, too Charlie's specs. I think I have a partial SN list, but not sure how complete it is. Won't be able to check till after this weekends match Wink

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Nice work Willis, what is that part between the die and pump body, my pump does not have this part.  Ledball

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
What do they sell for?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2018 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Paul, that is just a disc to push the die out. I did a quick check and Charlie made somewhere over a hundred of his initial two piece soldered heads, which yours should be, Paul. He then switched to a cast head (which is in the picture I posted) but I have not (yet) been able to determine how many of those he made. I get $150.00 for the pump with one fitted die. Additional dies are $30.00.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Bob259
Participating Member

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2022 at 11:29am
Print Post  
singleshot wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 12:15am:
Here is the one I make, too Charlie's specs. I think I have a partial SN list, but not sure how complete it is. Won't be able to check till after this weekends match Wink

I just got one of these with a rifle I purchased. I assume from the pictures you put the tip of the bullet in first and put the base flush with the casting. Going to have to give it a try! If he put the serial number on the casting it’s #0154 (could also be D154). Singleshot if you have any info on that serial number please send it to me and if you still make other inserts for different bullets.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2022 at 11:10pm by Bob259 »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2022 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Mine is marked D152 and the D could possibly be a 0.
I also purchased it from Willis several years back along with some of Charlie Dells 59C Lube in stick form for this pump. I also believe Charlie might have still been with us? at that time but his eye sight would no longer allow him to continue to do such work. The head on my also screws on and off if that too might have some bearing on when or by who it was made. But I do believe Willis is the one made it for me and I could also be wrong in that regard. Also the head itself appears to be a one piece casting. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2022 at 1:50pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2022 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Funny Charlie Dell story… I had just gotten active shooting in this game, but Charlie had quit making his lube pumps and Willis had not yet started.  On one of my many visits to Charlie’s I told him if he ever started making them again or if he knew of someone who had one they were no longer using, to please let me know.  He must have felt sorry for me (or got tired of listening) because he took me down to the shop and told me to hold out my hands.  He went through drawers and boxes and pulled out the pieces to make one, complete except for finishing the aluminum body tube.  Then he said I should put it together myself!  I took it home and went to a fellow teacher who happened to teach machine shop and Voila’! I had my own lube pump.  When he saw it the first time he berated me because it was unfinished… we hadn’t knurled the body tube!  The next time he saw it, on the loading bench at a match at his range, I watched him circle around, looking at it oddly.  When I asked him why, he said because it looked like one of his pumps but the knurling was different!  We both got a good chuckle when I reminded him what it was.
Over the years I’ve gotten two more, but that’s a story for another day.  I’ve gone on enough now. 
Froggie.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2022 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing that! 
Many Moons ago and back when we were all still on the Chat Site. I had mentioned that I would to like try some of his Dell59C lube and the year was 2003. Still not quite sure how he got my address but a box showed up at my house. With everything I need to make it and per-say lifetime supply of which I still have.
He would not let me pay for it no matter how hard I tried. I knew he liked to drink something so I sent Willis Gregory some money to buy a Bottle of what he liked. 
Also back when Russ Walley was still with use so it could have actually been him?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - May 10th, 2022 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Willis brought me a few sticks of 59c loose in a ziplock bag.  We were at an early CSV event at Brushy Mtn and I was busy as a one armed paper hanger, so I threw the bag in my box and forgot it.  Now I need to remelt the sticks and recast them into usable sticks.  A great gift from Willis that I squandered at the time.  Fortunately that formula can easily be remelted and formed into usable sticks… in fact, Charlie made a neat device to extrude sticks!  Cheesy
Froggie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2022 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Our you can just melt it an pour it directly into the pump. I have used this approach multiple times when I made some 59C for my own use.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2022 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Back when I was making the early batches of Frog Guano and had just one of Charlie's pumps, I would take the melted batch and pour the tube full, then push it out when cooled and repeat.  Three or four spare sticks plus a full pump and I was good to go.  I need to go back and do the same thing with the 59C, some Emmert's, and of course the infamous Frog Guano.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint