Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New ASSRA Journal Arrived (Read 1448 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

New ASSRA Journal Arrived
Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
My mailman finished reading my new Journal and let me have it today.  Congrats and kudos to the authors and the editors.  I was just starting to work with my 40-90 Ballard Pacific that had been on the back burner for a looong time, and what should this issue contain but two big bore Ballard articles and one on a high wall in 40-90 SS!  Looks like there is such a thing as good karma.  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New ASSRA Journal Arrived
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Very glad to hear this and I eagerly await the arrival of that slow mail train out here.

I have a .40-3&1/4” Sharps Straight in a Remington Hepburn that has so far resisted all attempts to get more than minute-of-moose accuracy at 100 yards, for no good reason whatsoever.

It actually shoots better groups with Smokeless than Black Powder! Shocked. With Black, it does the old trick of shooting a decent group with one 5-shot batch of incremental loadings; then when I load twenty cartridges with that same loading, they all do worse than the worst incremental load did.

Hopefully, the Resource List at the end of the article has an Exorcist or two.   Wink

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Well Bent, I'm going to guess that you will find the Journal worth the wait... I've already e-mailed the editor with congratulations on what I regard as a super edition.  I've also been burning up the ether with marlinman asking questions about big 40s in the Pacific.  This is way out of my wheel house!

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
No hard evidence, just anecdotal evidence, but it seems that BP demands a much more perfect bore for gilt edge accuracy than smokeless does.  For example, my high wall sporter with original 32-40 barrel (#3 octagon) always shot much better with 4759 than black... I could shoot inside 6" at a hundred offhand if I did my part with my favorite 200 gr Ideal bullet and 13.6 of 4759, but had trouble keeping it on paper with black.  It seems that old 19th century shooters were a lot more finicky about their target guns' barrels than I am with modern smokeless... maybe they knew something??

Froggie

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
GF, that’s as may be, but I’d be satisfied with a consistent 4” at 100 with my Hepburn with black powder.  I have a .45-70 Highwall with the same kind of frosty but not pitted bore, which has a chip out of the rifling about 4” from the muzzle, that will do 2-1/2” to 3” pretty consistently.  Elmer Keith mentioned to somebody in his correspondence that less that perfect large bore BP rifles seemed to continue to deliver decent practical accuracy.

Mr. Cleave’s targets are pretty impressive.  I’ve never gotten anything like that with my 4759 charges.

Like Mr. Oppel, I found that I could dump 90 gr of about any black powder into a Bertram case and barely see the top of the charge.  100 gr is more of a “full” case, but around 93 gr seems to give the least bad accuracy.

By the accounts I hear from acquaintances that have .40-90 3-1/4”s, they either shoot great, or never could be gotten to shoot.  This with black powder.  It may be that 90 gr in that small a bore is a little too much of a good thing, unless all the forces are aligned just right.

It’s one of those rifles I take out every now and then, go a few rounds with, and put it back in the safe.  Some of them even get sorted out, eventually!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint