Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wurfflein #25 Mid Range (Read 4627 times)
moshannon

Wurfflein #25 Mid Range
Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I was able to pick this #25 up after a long search for a good example of a Wurfflein. I saw one 15 years ago that I didn't have the funds for at the time and have been searching ever since. This one in 38-55 has quite a few special features including the double set triggers, palm rest, full octagon 32" barrel, fancy wood and a canted buttstock. The sights are most likely by Ballard, although the tang site base is integral to the receiver. It's pretty incredible what they could produce in the late 1800's. Locks up tight like the proverbial vault. Though the outside is finished pretty nicely, the inside is all function and no fancy. 

The bore and chamber is interesting. There are 14 wide grooves that mic at .3887. The chamber appears to blend nearly smooth into the rifling with no lead. Assuming it is a strictly paper patch chamber.

One other thing I was able to find out is that Richard Binger had worked on this rifle previously. Looks like it might have been to repair the buttstock wrist. There is a plug in the bottom of the pistol grip. If there was a repair, it is next to impossible to see save for the plug.

Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:54am by moshannon »  

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Wurfflein #25 Mid Range
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
A very rare and beautiful rifle! I like it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Wow, I love these things.
About a year ago I bought a barrel for one of these.
Didn't know what it was or why I needed it but for $60 I couldn't pass it up.
My barrel matches yours except mine is .321 bore with a chamber cut like yours.
Cut for front sight but not rear and threaded for a palm rest, 30 inches long, 1.010 across the flats at the breach, .890 across the flats at the muzzle.
I had the intention of building the action but recently acquired a complete Wurfflein rifle at another "couldn't pass up" price.
Should have it in a couple of days.
It would be nice if my barrel would fit my new rifle.
I saw one of these at the Baltimore Antique Arms show last weekend for $3250 (could not get that one past the boss).
Thanks for the pics (more would be nice),
Dave

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
moshannon - that 38-55 is Stunning!  Congratulations on your find.
I have 2 plain Wirffleins: a 38-55 and the Lady's Model 22LR. The 22 has some notoriety -same serial,  it's pictured in Grant's book

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Congratulations indeed!  Beautiful piece.   I too now will be keeping my eyes peeled for one of those fine rifles.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Beyond nice and very stunning indeed.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Weight is somewhere between 13 and 14 lbs. Bathroom scale isn't made for accuracy beyond that. It sure is balanced well though after you get it hooked on your arm. I haven't shot it yet, and am a little hesitant to until I get the correct mould and can try a paper patched bullet. 

Few more photos (from auction site).

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Remington40x

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Years ago there was a Wurfflein collector who used to set up a display at the Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown, PA.  He had more than a dozen Wurffleins, nearly all in very high condition.  I've wondered for years what happened to that collection.  It was the largest assemblage of Wurffleins I've ever seen in one place.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RonJonUSN

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Mike, that's a beautiful rifle!  I have one in 32-40 and have posted pictures of it on this forum before, but here are some more pics just for members' viewing pleasure.  By the way, what is your serial number?  Mine is 5100. 
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2018 at 6:29pm by RonJonUSN »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
My reaction to RonJonUSN's magnificent Wurfflein: whine, whimper, drool!  Where do you people find these things?!

To somewhat answer my own question, here's the Wurfflein I remember best.  About 35 years ago at an OGCA show, that most knowledgeable and convivial dealer, Dick Littlefield, had this for sale: a Wurfflein with a 15" or so bull octagon barrel (about 1-1/2" across the flats), a matching removable shoulder stock, globe and tang sights, all in nearly new condition.  The pittance Dick wanted for this buggy/duster-coat-pocket rifle was $700.  I went madly through the show, finally found my group's banker, only to get back with the money, the gun gone (naturally).

All whining aside, the two rifles on exhibition so far certainly suggest that William Wurfflein could run with the Very Big Dogs any time he wanted to.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle Ron! 
Bill you have my kind of luck back in my hunting days I aways wanted a Mauser Orberndorf Model B in 7X57 and I found an extremely nice one laying on one of for sale tablespoon at the Sacramento Gun Show back in the 80's for I believe it was at the time $750.00. Dummy me wanted to walk around to look at everything else that was there and it not being one of the hottest selling rifles at the time. And it being the largest gun show in Ca. at the time and an entire day not long enough to see it all. The plan was to go back and pick it up on the way out and hopefully for a little less and yep you guessed it it was gone. Never found or even seen another one like it since and my behind became very sore from my continuely kicking it. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Like The Fish and all the rest, there's always The Gun That Got Away.  Best luck still to us all!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint