Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Greetings, and a tale of single shot hunting (Read 14749 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Greetings, and a tale of single shot hunting
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I also liked your story but am amazed the powers that be let you own 24 rifles in Britain,
Unless you have a dealers cert. the chief constable where you live is a relative or you live in a castle and have a title.
Know the prime minister or somebody who lives in that big house at the end of the Mall?

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Nero,

Is there, perchance, a distinction between rifles housed in your home vs those stored elsewhere, such as a formally recognized and regulated shooting or hunt club? Some of my friends elsewhere have only a single hunting rifle and/or a single shogun or drilling at home but their hunt or shooting club has several/many in secure storage elsewhere.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
When I lived in Britain forty years ago you had to have a legit-able reason for owning a firearm.
Such as belonging to a recognized shooting club to shoot at targets and your licence stated that the rifle was to be used only for target shooting.
From memory I think your licence lasted for three years and then it had to renewed for another three years at what I thought was an exorbitant cost and your security inspected again
To hunt with a rifle you had to have permission to shoot by the owner of the land where you wanted to shoot.
I used to shoot rabbits on a friends hundred acre farm with my 22R/F and 22 Hornet, before I could shoot there the Police actually went to talk to the owner and inspect the land to see if it was safe to shoot there.
This was then put onto your licence that you had permission from the Police to use this rifle for hunting.
To get a licence for a pistol when it was legal to own a pistol in Britain you had to belong to a pistol club for six months using club pistols and the club secretary would then inform the Police that you were ok to shoot a pistol and were a good guy.
From memory I think the same applied to rifles.
I also used to hunt deer else where and my 7X57 Mauser had to be certified to be used for hunting.
Firearms also had to be stored in a steel safe screwed to the wall and floor and the Police would come around to your house to check your security was ok and I'm pretty sure you had to have a burglar alarm fitted as well to get a licence.
I have no knowledge if a firearm could be stored in a club house but I very much doubt it.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks Nero!

The following quote from your post suggest there may be a provision for firearm storage within a shooting club,
QUOTE: "To get a licence for a pistol when it was legal to own a pistol in Britain you had to belong to a pistol club for six months using club pistols and the club secretary would then inform the Police that you were ok to shoot a pistol and were a good guy."

I used to own a nice Sauer hammer double that had been a club firearm, apparently a hunting club of some kind. Still had small brass plate with club weapon number. It appeared not to have been used much, perhaps cause one trigger required about 2X force than other. Simple fix but had never been done. Happy ending to that story is it is now owned by an old man that owned identical, same model Sauer for decades, and then it was stolen. His daughter bought it from me for him Christmas last year. A major nice shock for him! Best "Feel Good" sale I ever made.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2018 at 4:09pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
No the club secretary would take it home or a committee member if licensed to him but owned by the club. 

IP Logged

hairtrigger
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Attn: UK shootist,
    If you managed a few pix accompanying your adventure ?
Suggest you send them w/ your tale to John Merz ASSRA journal
Editor . You'll get published and achieve much fame & cheer up old guys on this side of the pond !
   Oh and @ 77 1/2 I can't walk much, Can't breathe a lot, and am trying to learn to shoot right handed  but no sense in quitting just
Yet !
Hairtrigger

sense in guitting just yet !

IP Logged

thefox

Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 6:36am
Print Post  
This was a great story to read this morning. I chuckled a lot and can relate to some of it!

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Just over the 79 hump, I could mention a few stories about hunting in Colo--------smillllin

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Shootist - sure hope you gifted Robbie with a couple of liter bottles of fine Glenfiddich India Pale Ale Cask Finish or Glenmorangie Bacalta for being an excellent guide 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I don't think a Scot would take kindly to those fancy poo whiskys but would rather have an original G and JG Smith Glenlivet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint