Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Ballard makes it to a MSN Photo Gallery 11/27/17 (Read 6726 times)
oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

A Ballard makes it to a MSN Photo Gallery 11/27/17
Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Saw this as I perused a string of historic photos on MSN, this was a 'famous' photo that they tied to the state of Nebraska.   I'm sure you've probably seen the photo before...but if not here is a larger version I found online so you don't have to use the link...

Can't remember if this photo was in Dutchers book or not....man my memory is starting to fade. Undecided

I think what surprised me the most was seeing the photo on a internet page without some significant negative connotation attached to it.   
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:44pm by oodmoff »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A Ballard makes it to a MSN Photo Gallery 11/27/17
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Not sure if it's in John's book either Darin. But if you look closely, there's two Ballard rifles in that image! One standing on the right, and another mounted in the side of the wagon! 
Can't tell for sure, but I believe both to be Pacific Models, which were the biggest seller for people out West wanting a hunting rifle at that time.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Good eyeball!  Wink

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Those look like 40-90 or 45-100/110 straight cartridges in the boy's cartridge belt.

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
We have an "Old West Picture" thread over on the LGS sight and this with the Ballards was featured and discussed along with some other pretty cool pictures.    I asked the OP for his largest file so I might get a print for my gun room.

Yours is better yet... except for that Art.com embossed across it.   Dang.   I'll follow the link and see if I can't improve on what I have.   Thanks for posting.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Considering that Ballards weren't available until the mid-late 1870's and the fact that only two horses are pulling the wagon, I don't think these people are in a wagon train. I think that maybe they are on a hunting trip and have taken the family along. Just a guess.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:30pm:
Considering that Ballards weren't available until the mid-late 1870's and the fact that only two horses are pulling the wagon, I don't think these people are in a wagon train. I think that maybe they are on a hunting trip and have taken the family along. Just a guess.

I would agree that they aren't "early" settlers. But a lot of people still traveled out West after 1875, so they could still be part of a wagon train, or traveling on their own. Or as you surmised, maybe just on a hunting trip to stock up on game.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
One thing you learn quick in those wagons is to not sit in the bed or do it very carefully  Roll Eyes  Those floor boards pinch  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Those early settlers any where in the world had guts.
Just came back from Adelaide yesterday and where the first settlers landed off the boat at a beach they named Glenelg in 1836 there was absolutely nothing there after months at sea in a wooden sailing ship.
I doubt if they realised what they were going to and the hardships they would find when they arrived.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 7:02pm:
One thing you learn quick in those wagons is to not sit in the bed or do it very carefully  Roll Eyes  Those floor boards pinch  Shocked

My great grandmother said they put canvas on the inside of the bed to keep the dust out. She said if you didn't you'd get tired of eating dust pretty quick. Maybe the canvas kept the floorboards from pinching you too!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Probably work for small cracks, as those boards dry, they grow.  Cry  Most kids probably learned to walk or stand pretty quickly  Grin

I'm sure the canvas in the bed helped keep some dust out, still very invasive.  Did she come on the Oregon Trail?

Edit: BTW, they definitely are not transcontinental travelers with that team of horses.  Take too many calories to get there  Shocked
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:25pm by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:14pm:

I'm sure the canvas in the bed helped keep some dust out, still very invasive.  Did she come on the Oregon Trail?

Shocked

No, but my great, great grandmother did. My great grandmother was the first white child born in King's Valley, Oregon West of Corvallis. She ended up marrying one of Phil Sheridan's soldiers when he and his cavalry were here protecting early settlers from local Indians. 
The Kings and Nortons were my mom's ancestors. Grandpa Plunkett was a drummer boy, and later soldier with Phil Sheridan.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
In front of the horses the grass is beaten down signing a trail, the harnesses as well the wagon are near new and the horses are fat. The rifles are up to the task and the military type clothing tells me the men are experienced. The little girl being along on the trip may be a tip. Where or what they're up to is a guess I'll not venture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint