Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) PEABODY CONVERSION (Read 9553 times)
JWDreamstone
Participating Member

PEABODY CONVERSION
Nov 21st, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
  has anyone converter a South Carolina  Peabody carbine from rimfire to Centerfire 
  The original Caliber I believe was 50/60 Rimfire.
JW

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: PEABODY CONVERSION
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure about the South Carolina specifically, but most of the Peabody carbines are 56-60 RF; same as the Spencer.  Providence Tool Company does conversions.  I have one and, asside from the horrible trigger pull, it is really fun to shoot.  I also have a Peabody carbine that is 50-70 which was converted from RF way back when.

Regards,
George

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Do you mean 56/50 spencer converted to 56/50 spencer (Taylor) centerfire or do you mean 50 Peabody rimfire AKA 50/60 rimfire

IP Logged

Ineedmore

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I think he just want's to convert his breech block to center fire.

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
  I was @ a gun show and I was able to Confirm my SC carbine is In   50 peabody Rim fire AKA 50/60 Peabody Rimfire. I was able to Find 1  Cartridge from a Fellow collector. .   The cartridge snapped In without Problem, 
They have a Distinctive neck
I have posted a Photo 
Also  i found That Canada used a Peabody Rifle and These were in 56/50 Spencer Rimfire.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I am no expert on Peabody rifles and carbines but, according to Hull (Providence Tool Company Military Rifles; 1978), the Canadian Peabodys was in 50-60 rimfire,   Hull also says that the carbines were produced in 45 and 50 Peabody rimfire, but he does not elaborate on which Peabody Rimfire.  Given the time that the South Carolina carbines were produced, it is more than logical that the 50 caliber ones were in 56-50 Spencer or the Peabody equivalent of that.  Every unaltered Peabody carbine that I have seen has been in the 56-50 chambering.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
The above cartridge Does Chamber in My carbine.  I have Been a cartridge collector for Many Years. I know I have some 56/50 spencer rimfire. i will try to chamber this. The specs are very similar but the spencer is appox .250 " shorter.  The original peabody cartridge were a strange Mix.  the 50/60 Rimfire was also Known as The 46 Peabody and the 50 peabody. 
They show Up @ cartridge shows. . but they seen to be Identifies By various Names. 
none seem   to be wrong and Yet None seem to be wright. 
Every One I have seen with different names do have that distinct neck
JW

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
The OP asked if there was a centerfire block for his Peabody.  In this day of CNC machines, I'm sure that the answer is "YE$".

I also am a cartridge collector from the pre-Internet days.  Charles Suydam's 1960 book "The American Cartridge" is still a good all-round reference for the big rimfires.  On p. 134, he shows a photo of five .50 caliber rimfire rifle cartridges.  Specimens 1 & 2 are .50/60 Peabody rimfires.  There were big manufacturing differences, but they all were stuffed into the chamber.  #1 has dimensions close to the above photo.  Suydam wrote "probably by UMC".  #2 is a bit longer "possibly FA".  .50/60 Peabody rimfire cartridges were made by Frankford Arsenal for use by carpetbagger militia & police when South Carolina was occupied by Federal forces, 1865-1877.   

The Peabody cartridges are all about 1/4" longer than the Spencer cartridges and will have different weights.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
A while back I did a chamber cast on a near-mint Peabody 50 RF carbine.  The chamber diameter at the head is .578" there is a straight taper to about .550" diameter over a distance of 1.1" ahead of the rim, then a rather abrupt leade for about .150" down to about .525".  Turning the 3-groove rifled portion ahead of the leade in the vernier caliper gives an approximate bore diameter of .518".  I don't see how a factory carbine chamber could accommodate the .50-60 RF.  That is the Canadian Peabody musket cartridge. The chamber dimensions above match the dimensions reported in Hull's book for the .50-45 RF Peabody cartridge, which is the standard Peabody carbine cartridge. (Hull makes mention that .45 RF carbines were cataloged, and possibly some .50-70 might also have been made.  So far, I've not encountered one, though I'd certainly like to! )

Probably a chamber cast would be best to verify any doubtful chambering, especially if contemplating firing.  Buddies I know that shoot their Peabody's claim superb accuracy, competing with the best of their contemporaries.  Bullets that shoot well in a Smith carbine in the 330-375 grain weight usually do well in the .50 Peabody carbines too.  9-10 grains Unique has proven safe and accurate. Or 28-32 Gr Swiss 1.5F
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:57pm by John in PA »  

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Back again with another mouldy pre-Internet reference.  Fred Datig published 4 volumes of "Cartridges for Collectors" back in the late 1950s to early 1980s.  In Volume IV, privately printed in Switzerland in 1983, Datig has a chapter on Peabody Rimfire Cartridges (pp 140-145, with illustrations through p. 156).   

Datig states in two places that the .50/60 rimfires were developed at Frankford Arsenal "in the first half of the 1860s" and that the Providence Tool Company simply copied the design.  These were a series of incremental improvements in copper cased rimfires that rapidly led to the centerfire .50-70 Government cartridge.   

The Canadian Peabody contract of 1865, only slightly-post American Civil War, was for the then-likely military cartridge in production at Frankford Arsenal.  The development of drawn brass cartridge cases rendered the 50/60 rimfires obsolete by the late 1870s.  The Canadian contract was for 5,000 rifles.  That many were made, but only 3,000 were delivered and paid for.

The South Carolina order of 350 carbines in 1877 was supposedly for arms made for the Franco-Prussian war but not delivered.  But the Providence Tool Company had 2,000 of the Canadian rifles in the warehouse.  The Providence good old boys made a deal with the carpetbagger good old boys and South Carolina got their carbines in .50/60 Peabody rimfire.

That is why the OP is correct when he told us about the caliber of his carbine.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Hmm. If that were the case, then all the SC carbines would be: 
1. SN <5000,  
2. have Canadian receiver markings (PTCo info split,both sides of the receiver), and
3. have barrels made from cut down rifles. 
Is there any evidence that this is the case?  No mention of anything like this in Hull's book. Hull also states the carbines almost all have SN's >100,000

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Last night I took a 56/50 spencer Rimfire Cartridge from my collection.   I found that this will also Chamber Into the carbine and will close  the block. 
JW

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
JW, here's a question I should have asked earlier. 

Does your carbine have SC markings of some kind?  If so, would you post a good closeup picture of those markings?

Also, what is the serial number (remove forend; it should be on both barrel and on face of receiver)

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I am Currently away. Until Next week. The SC is stamped On the top of The But plate
I will get detailed Photo when I return

IP Logged

JWDreamstone
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I was unable to Take a Photo. My Camara Is Not good.. This is what I found . Like I said  S.C. on top of the butt plate appox .5" from top screw on the metal
Also US impressed in the wood .5'' from the top Butt plate screw.
  Inspector Mark  a WO or WC in small oval on the left side near the saddle ring
Misc single letters stamped on Various parts . eg breecHblock, 
Serial # under Barrel next to receiver #111330
  No provision for Cleaning Rod in Carbine Foeend
JW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint