Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Hunting with my Ballard (Read 3381 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hunting with my Ballard
Oct 29th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Some of those "dogs" are real drama queens!

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
How wonderful it woulda been if such a talented "dog" coulda made it to prime time. Cry

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 12:28am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Oct 29th, 2017 at 4:03pm:
I much prefer to hunt with a Mauser or Springfield bolt rifle.  Did have occasion to stop in Colorado once to shoot a Prairie Dog with my Ballard 25-20SS. It was on a trip home from a match at Grand Junction.  Saw a big Prairie Dog town out there on the prairie a ways. Parked near a gate along the interstate and off we went to bag us a dog. I spied a big fat one out there about two hundred yards away. My rifle was sighted for that distance at the match.  Laid down and rested the Ballard on my rolled up shooting mat. Had a twenty power Lyman Super Target Spot on the rifle. When I laid the cross hairs on that dog, everything was crystal clear.  Wind was blowing right to left so I held over what I thought was just right and let one fly.  Eight grains of IMR 4227 under a Pope style flat nosed tapered bullet at one hundred and eleven grains. It seemed as though time slowed down the instant the powder lit. I could see that bullet make a big arc toward that trophy dog. Then all the sudden he clutched his chest with his front legs, did two complete spins like a bowling pin, then he wobbled and put a paw on his brow and fell over backwards in a puff of prairie dog town dust. Kicked three times and it was over, I had my dog. It was a great day, one I'll never forget. That was the only time I ever hunted with a single shot. Memories, I get a little misty.

Joe.  Smiley

Them dogs are mean !!!!! We have a town of dogs about
a mile down from  my turn onto Grand Ave!!!  People stop a feed them  Sad  the have a 10 acre chunk and growing LoL  when they move into the subdivision just
east by a 150yds they won't be dropping off food  Wink  LoL   

Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint