Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hunting with a single shot (Read 2801 times)
ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

hunting with a single shot
Oct 29th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I have done most of my hunting with a single shot. Even when I have used a firearm with a magizine, I very rarely ever fired more than one shot at one animal. I have never felt limited by using a singleshot. Do any of you feel limited when using a singleshot? 

Lee

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: hunting with a single shot
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I started hunting with a single shot rifle around 1995 or so and use them 95% of the time.  At first my rifleswere all modern high velocity such as the 300 win Mag and 25-06.  I soon learned that the 25-06 in my Browning B-78 was good for virtually all of my hunting needs.  Several years back I was in Huntington's store in Oroville, CA and marveled at the original single shot rifles.  I have since bought a Stevens 044 1/2 in 218 Bee, a 44 1/2 that is currently a 25-35, a Borchardt that is currently a 30-40 AI, and a Rolling Block in 250 Savage.  Last year I hunted mule deer and antelope with the 25-35 and discovered that these old rifles still work just fine.  This year I used the Borchardt for the first time and also the 25-35.  Even though my 66 year old eyes are having trouble seeing the sights like I once did I removed the modern scope from the 25-35 and hunted with a Lyman folding tang sight with windage.  I feel this puts the hunt back in hunting.  On my elk hunt I could have packed my Browning B-78 in 300 h&h and killed a cow elk easy but hunting with my Borchardt and limiting my shots to 250 yards lead me to several awesome stocks even though I never pulled the trigger.  I don't know how many more hunts my body has left in it but you can rest assured that they will be conducted with a single shot rifle.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

bg7m

Re: hunting with a single shot
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Bet that Browning 78 is a sweet shooting rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint