Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Javelina Hunt (Read 11670 times)
JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Javelina Hunt
Oct 21st, 2017 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Somewhere near Wilcox, AZ. March 1988. My friend Kenny Walters was a dairy equipment  rep for five western states. He got acquainted with some guys from Arizona who said they would take us on a Javelina hunt. We were told to show up with our camping gear and rifles. The food would be supplied by our hosts. 

We arrived in Phoenix, AZ  at the ranch of one of our hosts. He and his friend had been trying to get a horse in a trailer for far too long. Kenny and I took charge and got the horse in the trailer. This should have been a clue as to the rest of the trip.

We finally made it to where we were to camp and got set up. Our hosts set up their trailer (Kenny and I were sleeping on the ground). Shortly thereafter they announced that dinner was ready. Kenny (a big Swede) and me, (a hungry young German) were ready to chow down. 

They set a pot of warmed can of condensed tomato soup on the table with a sleeve of saltine crackers. Kenny and I thought “Cool”, soup before dinner. Wrong. That was dinner for four grown men. We figured they must be big breakfast eaters. 

After nearly freezing during the night we woke to a breakfast of ….............. 6 oz cans of juice and 6 Danish rolls. We figured we would starve by noon. 

We went hunting and I was the first to tag a Javelina. Drilled him sideways and then stem to stern with my .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Rifle, and he still ran 200yards down the arroyo. Tough little critters. 

Kenny and I arrived back in camp..........starved. The host's boys were camped there also.........and saw that we needed food. They had BBQ burgers and chili. They saved our lives. 

After eating lunch Kenny and I looked at each other..........and a decision was made. We were packed up and gone in less than 30 minutes. We stopped in Blythe, CA at some kind of fast food taco shop before getting a cheap motel for the night. 

I remember we spent on the plus side of $20.00, maybe near $30.00  (1988 money) for the two of us for dinner. We devoured it and wished we had ordered more.

Anyway, here I am with my Javelina. Just a young kid.......not that long ago.

JerryH

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2017 at 2:19am by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Javelina Hunt
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Memories to look back and laugh a bit. No, it wasn't all that long ago, but it keeps slipping further and further away. I have a few pictures from around those times, but they're all from some great bird hunts in parts of my good ole days.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I do have a good picture of a muzzle loader hunt on Hart Mt. in SE Oregon in the 70's. I'll have to see if I can get it scanned to digital so I can post it.

How are javelinas as table fare?

JS

IP Logged

Obsidian

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:10am
Print Post  
       JerryH:  It seems that the harder a successful hunt is, the more memorable it is.  That was a great story.  Did I read correctly, that you got off two shots on a Javelina with a muzzleloader and connected both times?  That's some remarkable shooting!  The first shot would require some skills, but reloading and putting the smack-down on a pig with a second shot before it could head for the hills - that's impressive.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Obsidian,

Yes, two shots in about a minute. The first shot just made him stagger a little. He walked behind a bush and when he came out on the other side I shot him again. At the time I was shooting my muzzleloader a lot and was pretty quick on reloading.

JS47,

From what I remember I wasn't impressed with the taste. The wild pigs here in CA are much better table fare.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Have long been interested in hunting javelina and have encounter them numerous times when quail hunting in southern Texas and Arizona. I even took a kombi gun quail hunting once when both quail and javelina were legal -- but no javelina ever showed up.

It was quite interesting the few times I found my self downwind of a group of javelinas that were feeding downwind, directly in my direction, but did not see me because of their poor eyesight. Once they got scent of me and one sounded the "run" alarm, I was surrounded by javelinas running in all directions, some more or less at me, snapping their teeth loudly. Real excitement!! But, no harm to me.

My desert quail hunting buddies that hunted with bird dogs were rather nervous in javelina country. Apparently javelina consider bird dogs same as coyotes and entire herd will attack bird dog, which, naturally, runs back to its owner. Supposedly no fun for dog or owner. Never happened when I hunted with them.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I suppose wild hogs are as dangerous as domestic.  One of the kids I went to school with saved his dad who was in a difficult situation with a boar.  Too long ago, I do not remember the details.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Russian boars, which can be quite large and mean, had a bad rep in Russia and did not get nicer reps when imported to USA by Hearst. Many escaped from hunting preserves long ago. 

Stina has a great story about one of their ranch hands that had bright idea to rope a very big Russian boar. He did, but nothing went well once the noose tightened. They did get it loaded into a ranch truck and took it to one of the ranch's corrals. Boar not happy! Soon the boar had busted out of the corral and ranch hands and other were standing on nearby equipment and shooting it with 38Spls. Numerous 38Spl rounds into its head only made it madder. A damaged corral and a few majorly damaged fences and gates and equipment later the boar left, apparently having decided it had "settled the score".

Next day all the ranch hands and owner went into town and traded their 38Spls for 357Mags. Suspect they should have saved the money. 

The babies are really cute little striped piggies. Quite tasty!

Adult javelinas are little bitty, cute critters by comparison, and not nearly as tasty.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
My Cousin ran Cattle on a ranch in the coastal calif. mountain range that had an over abundance of wild Pigs. The owner of the property shot 28 in one day trying to legaly thin them out and not an easy task. They don't care for us humans and quickly head into the thick brush to get away from any human contact. They really do not do much harm with the cattle but they can raise hell with the young deer. My cousin lost a Bull not from the pigs but within two weeks the only thing left were clean bones so they do have their place in nature. I spent allot of time on horse back helping him over the years and all though I could clearly hear the pigs close by in the brush I never saw one come out in the open. That being said they are really harder to hunt out this way than the Deer are. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Great hunting story Jerry! And love the picture too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Jerry,

You and your buddy may have been almost hungry enough to eat javelina but I doubt it.  As you may remember they stink to high heaven, they are not pigs and to the best of my knowledge there is no way to cook them that makes them palatable.  The old timers here in southern AZ used to try and pit roast/barbecue them but couldn't get anyone to eat the meat after it was done.  After a couple of tries at the fair grounds they gave it up as a bad idea.

Nasty animals that will take a bite out of you if they get a chance.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I actually like eating them. They have a scent gland on their back near the root of their tail. It usually comes off intact if you just peel the hide off. If you touch it or touch any of the glnds in the legs or get into the gut its dog food. The scent glands will make the entire thing smell and taste like a lust-filled javelina boar. Dont shoot one living near homes and eating garbage either-blek. They are fun to hunt and their skulls make a neat trophy. I know of one fellow who had a popliteal artery  transection from a love bite

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:02am:
They have a scent gland on their back near the root of their tail. It usually comes off intact if you just peel the hide off. If you touch it or touch any of the glnds in the legs or get into the gut its dog food. The scent glands will make the entire thing smell and taste like a lust-filled javelina boar.

This sounds a lot like what I remember from a south Texas rancher. He was firm about only shooting one on his land cause nearly all hunters quickly gave up on cleaning even one.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I wanna hear how Zack got so familiar with the scent of lust-filled boar. Just curious. Wink

Edit after reading the admonition to stay on topic. I did hunt with my .30 US highwall once in northern California. Private ranch, easy hunt. Deer about the size of your childhood dog. No scratches on the rifle, no reason to mount that head, Ate it all at one barbeque.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:09pm:

Deer about the size of your childhood dog. No scratches on the rifle, no reason to mount that head, Ate it all at one barbeque.

Sounds like one of my "little" deer hunts on a Texas Hill Country ranch. One hind leg of a corn-fed forkhorn from elsewhere had as much good meat on it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint