Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1885 flat to coil (Read 1835 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

1885 flat to coil
Sep 1st, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Will an 1885 flat spring barrel work on a coil spring action?
Are there any difficulties, or will it just screw on?
I see on Ebay a flat spring barrel and the seller says it not for a coil spring action.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Re: 1885 flat to coil
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Rebel, I have mixed Coil Spring Barrels and Flat spring barrels with only one problem. If you use a Coil Spring barrel on some
there is no place on the Barrel to mount the Base for the Flat Spring. If you use a flat spring barrel on a coil Spring barrel all is well. You just have an un used Dove Tail slot under the Forend. I have successfully put a Rifle together with both the Flat Spring and the Coil Spring on the Hammer. Very stiff. You almost have to use the Lever to Cock the Rifle, it can be thumbed back but is very stiff with both springs in use. By the way in only two instances over 50 years have I found original Winchester Barrels to not pull up correctly to a good condition Hi Wall. And those two had been reworked in some manner by a smith in the action threads. May have been an effort to Blueprint the actions as some Race Car Engine builders did.
HTH Regards, FITZ-G Smiley
By the way that system was very hard on Hammers that had been lightened up with Holes drilled through the Hammer body or the Thumb spur. They tended to break where the lightening process had been done. FITZ.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:16pm by FITZ-G »  

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks Fitz,
I thought so, but the guy on Ebay is selling several barrels and seemed to know what he was talking about.
I should have known better, making that mistake a lot lately.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Rebel. just re read our conversation. The only comment I would or should have added was if he was looking at what was a coil spring barrel and it was for a Takedown it would look like it would not fit up in a Flat Spring action. The thread shank is longer on the Takedown by about 1/2" Not a firm number as I am working from memory here. Hope I did not send you down a dead end. But a Coil Spring Barrel for a solid Frame action has the same Thread Shank length as the Flat Spring Barrel.
Regards, FITZ-G Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint