Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Soule sights (Read 9090 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Soule sights
Reply #30 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
sloshooter wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:53pm:
If you use a traditional target scope (Lyman, Unertl, etc) for the scope matches on your rifle, the Baldwin is definitely worth the extra.  He uses a left hand thread for the adjustments, which means that the directions are the same as the thimbles on the scope.  I used an original Soule for years - loved it, but had to think which way to go each time for the correct direction.  Have two Baldwins on my currect match rifles and am very happy with them.

Jerry

I asked that question a few times and was told it wouldn't work.  Guess they were either too lazy or couldn't figure it out  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
sloshooter wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:53pm:
If you use a traditional target scope (Lyman, Unertl, etc) for the scope matches on your rifle, the Baldwin is definitely worth the extra.  He uses a left hand thread for the adjustments, which means that the directions are the same as the thimbles on the scope.  I used an original Soule for years - loved it, but had to think which way to go each time for the correct direction.  Have two Baldwins on my currect match rifles and am very happy with them.

Jerry

I asked that question a few times and was told it wouldn't work.  Guess they were either too lazy or couldn't figure it out  Roll Eyes

Interesting comments.  I did not appreciate the windage reverse threads in my Browning soule rear sight until I switched, due to aging eyes, to a period-style Fecker scope with Unertl-style adjustments.  The Browning sight uses reverse threads for windage, i.e. rotating the knob clockwise moves the sight to the left, same as the scope adjustment.  But unfortunately Browning did not use reverse threads on the elevator (elevation adjustment).  Turn it clockwise & the sight moves up - the reverse of a Unertl-style adjustment.

Just wondering how the Baldwin elevation adjustment works?

BTW, I do have a very well-made Kelly rear sight I plan to mount on a new Shiloh Sharps I should receive in a few weeks.  Clockwise adjustment of the windage knob moves the sight to the right.  And clockwise adjustment of the elevation knob moves the sight up.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
A number of the top single-shot shooters use Hoke tang sights. They are based on a period design that is not a Soule and are of very high quality. I have a couple of them and think they are great. Especially like that they are marked in such a way that one doesn't have to refer to the vernier to reset. Want to go up 1MOA then make a full turn of the knob, etc.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Just checked the equipment list for the 2017 BPCR Raton Iron-sight Nationals. There were 4x MVA, 2x Hoke, 2x Baldwin & 2x Kelley in the top-10. Winner was a Hoke shooter, but don't think that was the difference.

Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:29pm:
I very seldom looked at my scale on either the windgage or tang sights during a match. I had the minutes calculated by the rotation of the knobs.  The scales were used for initial settings or if I went backwards and needed to rezero  Shocked

Yep. That's the way to do it. But, you would be surprised how may folks still read the vernier when they adjust. Waste of time (when in a timed event) and not as accurate as "knowing your knob".
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:33pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I very seldom looked at my scale on either the windgage or tang sights during a match. I had the minutes calculated by the rotation of the knobs.  The scales were used for initial settings or if I went backwards and needed to rezero  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint