Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Soule sights (Read 9095 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Soule sights
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:59am:
I remember reading somewhere that there were quite a few fatal shootings of riflemen in the old days adjusting their windage adjustable fronts...I found it hard to swallow.  Few years later, I was out first time with my Axtel 77' Sharps .40-70 2 1/2".  I had just shot a very small group and jumped up wanting to center remaining rounds on the bull...I was adjusting micrometer and focused on the lines when my left eye happened to glance down  the side of that long 34" barrel...to see the hammer on full cock..and I'm remembering theres a loaded round in chamber!  Talk about being drenched in a cold sweat!  That muzzle was pretty much aligned right between my eyes.

I remember most guys looked down the muzzle adjusting  them.  I only do it going from offhand and to rest setting and vice versa.  Knowing the MOA for 1/4 revolution, adjusting it reaching forward and being aware of the backlash in the threads just seemed to be a better way to go. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
the heilman sites are a good value,  have one over 10 yrs   art

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
beltfed wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:46pm:
I agree with Texasmac
The Browning sight is a good one for the $300 the guy is asking on ebay.  (just checked- he has 4 left.) Ihave been using several to good satisfaction on my Brgs, Win Hi Walls and   even two Ruger No 1s.
BUT, as Wayne pointed out, there is the hole spacing
on the base. AND also, the angle of the Brg sight
will not be exactly correct for a Roller. It is noted that I had ordered my sights direct from AMT the manufacturer of the Brg Sight with bases for the particular rifles.
The Brg sight base has hole space of 2.185", and angle of 18degrees. An orig. Rem roller base hole space is 1.938 and angle of staff at 20 degrees.
If you at building a roller from a non D&T military , the hole spacing will not matter. But, you might have a little issue
with the angle.
beltfed/arnie

Arnie,
I had forgotten to point out the angle difference.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I doubt 2 degrees will make a significant difference but the front of the base can be shimmed if necessary.  It won't take much.  

Also, AMT the manufacturer of the sights, still has some parts including bases for various rifles the last time I spoke with them, but it's been some time.  They also have/had complete front sights for Sharps (0.454" dovetails) and some windage adjustable front sights (do not remember the dovetail dimensions).  If anyone is interested, AMT can be reached at 800-691-1233.  Ask for Dennis Taylor.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Correcting 2 degrees of tang angle difference, at 2.185", will require just a little bit more then a shim of .038" thickness.
Calculation would be Distance *  SIN(2 degrees) in this case 2.185" * .0349" = shim thickness

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:56am
Print Post  
As the sight elevation raises, that 2 degrees forward wont mean much. In fact it might work better as the sight elevation gets higher.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Vall however 18 degrees on a 20 degree tang would mean the sight leans backwards, doesn't it? Or am I getting old

IP Logged

Double D
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I have 2 Shavers and 1 Heilman. The Shavers are both economy grade so the finish doesn't match the Heilman, but they are good quality. I think Shaver's represent a good value (or I wouldn't keep buying them). I also have a couple of his front sights which I like.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:03am:
Vall however 18 degrees on a 20 degree tang would mean the sight leans backwards, doesn't it? Or am I getting old

LRF,

You're correct, the shim would have to be located under the rear of the base, my mistake, and a shim of 0.076" to correct the angle would be significantly thicker than I thought.  I made that age old mistake of assuming.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:03pm
Print Post  

No, you're correct Lynn. Which means it would get worse, not better as it was raised.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
That angle is easily corrected by careful filing.  I had to make my heel sights stand up straight; none commercially available.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm:

LRF,

You're correct, the shim would have to be located under the rear of the base, my mistake, and a shim of 0.076" to correct the angle would be significantly thicker than I thought.  I made that age old mistake of assuming.

Wayne

Wayne, I think you doubled the shim thickness, actually .038" would be required at a minimum. See my earlier post with the calculation required. 
I have had these Browning sights and they are okay but if I was trying to use one I would make a new base. An option not always a possibility to all. The truth is just buy what you need to fit and be done with it. However everyone gets to choose their own medicine.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:12pm:
texasmac wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm:

LRF,

Wayne

Wayne, I think you doubled the shim thickness, actually .038" would be required at a minimum. See my earlier post with the calculation required. 
I have had these Browning sights and they are okay but if I was trying to use one I would make a new base. An option not always a possibility to all. The truth is just buy what you need to fit and be done with it. However everyone gets to choose their own medicine.

After checking I agree with the formula you stated as follows: "Calculation would be Distance *  SIN(2 degrees) in this case 2.185" * .0349" = shim thickness".  When I do the math 2.185 X .0349 = .0763" shim.

Wayne

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I stand corrected! Smiley
What I was trying to say was shimming was a ugly solution and you certainly punctuated that. Thanks

IP Logged

sloshooter
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
If you use a traditional target scope (Lyman, Unertl, etc) for the scope matches on your rifle, the Baldwin is definitely worth the extra.  He uses a left hand thread for the adjustments, which means that the directions are the same as the thimbles on the scope.  I used an original Soule for years - loved it, but had to think which way to go each time for the correct direction.  Have two Baldwins on my currect match rifles and am very happy with them.

Jerry

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Baldwin for a few reasons, but this is not to disparage other quality sights. 
1. It is substantial.
2. Witness marks are relatively easy to see.
3. Good tolerances. 
4. "Right hand rule" adjustments (same as scope).  The fingers of the right hand point the direction of adjustment.  The thumb indicates the direction change of bullet impact. 
5. Economy: As so many have indicated (we know because we've done otherwise), buy the best sight the first time. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint