Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Soule sights (Read 9072 times)
almat
Participating Member

Soule sights
Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Looking at two soule long range sights need pros and cons. Lee Shavers super soule(higher grade) or Ron Heilman? Or the Shavers econo? 1000yds won't be the norm but I would like to be able if the opportunity comes up. They will be going on a 45-70 rolling block used mostly for local BPCR, at least that is the intent at this time. I know I'll hear Baldwin,Hoke,Mva and Kelly. Those are around the 500 plus well out of my price range. Any other suggestion will be welcomed. Shavers and Heilman around 330 to 385. 

Thank
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:32am by almat »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Soule sights
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:17am
Print Post  
The ones I got from Ron are tighter than my NBA it Riflesmith sights.  I highly recommend him.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I personally don't use tang sights with windage adjustment in them. at longer distances I find you simply chase the wind and spend too much time adjusting sights as the wind changes. I prefer fixed tang sights without windage.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I've had a couple of the Shaver deluxe Soule sights.  They work fine, but the windage marks on the base of the staff are difficult to read.  The sights work fine, but due to the difficult to read windage marks you can get lost easily if there are twitchy winds and you have a fair bit of windage on the sight.  I've since switched to MVA's on all of my competition rifles.

I'm the opposite of Marlinguy,  I'm a big fan of windage on the rear sight.  I can't imagine shooting Creedmoor or even midrange without it.

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I can't either Chris.  When your 20 minutes of fame opens at Ottawa or Raton and the wind is making 10 minute or more shifts shot to shot, waiting it out or holding off aren't really options.  Having only a windgage front sight is a real P I A.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

38-72

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
For several years now, I have used one these MVA sights:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Before I got the MVA sight, I would wish my sight had more capability, but after I got my MVA, I have never ever wished my sight was shorter.   

Save your money up for a great sight and only buy it once.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:36am
Print Post  
almat,

These guys all make very valid arguments, like a lot of us on this forum, several of us have quite a few rifles and shoot the many different disciplines, with different rifles Smiley.   I know a couple that only have one rifle, one sight etc. beware of these guys, they spent the money on quality equipment and they shoot it well, their opinions are strong with justification.

Myself, I change guns, build something new, buy parts and change everything up before every shoot it seems, there is very little consistency in my world of shooting - but I have a lot of fun!  I have a few of Shaver's sights - on .22's, mid range rifles, and a couple I use for longer distances, one's a rolling block 45-70, it makes it to a 1000 yards with some to spare - for the dollar they get the job done.  It won't make 1200 without help and guesswork.
I have a MVA like previously mentioned on another rifle, it's a very good sight, it goes out to a mile with a little room to spare, if you plan to shoot this in the future, don't hesitate, save your $$ and get one.   
I am fortunate that I have the skills and the facility, wishing I had more time - I make sights for a hobby.  I've copied many, from Soule to Snover, from Hammond to Maynard, a dozen of my own design to something as simple as Steven's and  Pope's.   I have a fair understanding of what makes or breaks a sight but it's just an opinion and everybody has one.  The markings have to be clear, the motion has to be positive, the fit of mating parts have to be close and smooth.  The more money spent generally wins these characteristics.

The windage feature is great, front or rear, but unless one has an exceptional spotter, it tends to create havoc - for me.   A spotter that makes the call and really knows what going on down range - makes the shooter.  They are few and far between.   If I'm shooting without a spotter or someone that is marginal, I'll correct a minimal amount, study conditions, pay attention to the neighbors hits and misses and generally hold correction.  If I focus I do well.   
Good luck with your decisions. 
G

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Joe, I don't remember when Soule sights became the norm, but we didn't have them in Ottawa in 93  Cry  A lot can happen by the time you adjust the front and get back into position and fire  Grin

IP Logged

almat
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Thanks for all your advice. It appears I am probably ruling out Lee Shaver at this point and with MVA being out of my price range, at 500+. It looks like Heilman is going to be my direction of travel. But it's still going to be a couple months before I am ready for sight. I still have barrel and stock work that needs done. Agian thanks for our advice. More will be welcomed.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Baldwin

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I've got some MVAs but prefer a Hoke.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:14am:
They have slowly become the norm since the 1980s. Wind is wind no matter when it happens. I still hold off. 

Joe. 

I remember one afternoon at KD22 at Fort Lewis the hold off was the adjacent target frame  Grin We were using every other frame since we had plenty of them. Only one shooter out of 6 or 8 was getting any hits on his own target  Roll Eyes   That hold off was about 22 MOA  Undecided

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
At $299 you might also consider the Browning BPCR sights.  Some guys give them a bad rap but I can tell you from experience that they are good vernier sights.  There were some minor problems with the sights that came with earlier 1st year (1996) rifles but they were corrected in the later sights.  The guy that's selling them (see eBay listing below) bought the remaining inventory from the manufacturer that made the sights for Browning. There are many Browning & other rifle shooters that have used the sights to win lots of matches around the country.  I shoot with several of them and have used the sight myself prior to switching to a scope due to eye issues.

The one problem may be fitting your roller tang hole spacing.  The Browning sight has a 2.190" center-to-center spacing & comes with 10-32 mounting screws.

I know there are Browning shooters on this forum.  Maybe some can offer comments - good or bad.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:53pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I remember reading somewhere that there were quite a few fatal shootings of riflemen in the old days adjusting their windage adjustable fronts...I found it hard to swallow.  Few years later, I was out first time with my Axtel 77' Sharps .40-70 2 1/2".  I had just shot a very small group and jumped up wanting to center remaining rounds on the bull...I was adjusting micrometer and focused on the lines when my left eye happened to glance down  the side of that long 34" barrel...to see the hammer on full cock..and I'm remembering theres a loaded round in chamber!  Talk about being drenched in a cold sweat!  That muzzle was pretty much aligned right between my eyes.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I agree with Texasmac
The Browning sight is a good one for the $300 the guy is asking on ebay.  (just checked- he has 4 left.) Ihave been using several to good satisfaction on my Brgs, Win Hi Walls and   even two Ruger No 1s.
BUT, as Wayne pointed out, there is the hole spacing
on the base. AND also, the angle of the Brg sight
will not be exactly correct for a Roller. It is noted that I had ordered my sights direct from AMT the manufacturer of the Brg Sight with bases for the particular rifles.
The Brg sight base has hole space of 2.185", and angle of 18degrees. An orig. Rem roller base hole space is 1.938 and angle of staff at 20 degrees.
If you at building a roller from a non D&T military , the hole spacing will not matter. But, you might have a little issue
with the angle.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint