Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Breach seating a 32 h&r mag case with BP, lo wall (Read 2330 times)
corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Breach seating a 32 h&r mag case with BP, lo wall
Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Have funny idea.
I just procured a 32 short RF low wall with a good bore.
Planning on rechamber and convert to CF, have been wanting to make a 32 ideal short except .312, usually I'm after another 32 s&w long but since a low wall I could get more juice from it.

Then I had the thought, what if I breach seated either smokeless or BP, to increase capacity to that of a real 32 ideal case.

I have a 32 h&r mag reamer that I use for s&w chambers. 
The other thought is a 327 fed mag case used same way for maximum capacity.
Just some wild thoughts. 

Unsure of how breach seat throats are designed and different from a normal throat.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 
Mike

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breach seating a 32 h&r mag case with BP, lo wall
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I had some fun with an old Bay State, chambered .32RF.  I made a new link to align the firing pin for centerfire, so it could shoot .32 Long Colt.  Not yet having the proper heeled bullets, I started breech seating some swaged hollow-base wadcutters I had handy.  Worked like a charm.  Those bullets being very soft I did not go for any hot loads. Throat wasn't altered in any way. At 30 yards they were minute of golf ball. 

<div class=

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:42am
Print Post  
From past experience with using the 32 mag case (25 Schuetzen), I would go with the 327 case its suppose to be much stronger. I have no opinion on your idea otherwise, good luck.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Occurs to me that you could use a .30 caliber throating reamer to follow up your H&R Mag reamer.   The SAAMI throat for the .308 Winchester cartridge would be a good one,  (as opposed to the .30-30 or .30-06 throats, neither of which are optimum by today's standards.)  Pilot might be undersize unless you use a bit something to help center it.    

<div class=

IP Logged

Obsidian

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
There are two different types of reamers for the 32 H&R magnum: a pistol reamer, and a rifle reamer.  The throats are different.  The pistol reamer is for cutting chambers in a cylinder, and the rifle reamer is for use in a barrel.  Brownell's sells pistol caliber chambering reamers for rifles. (I think they're made by Manson, but can't remember right now)  If you use a pistol reamer for chambering a rifle, you might not get the accuracy that your looking for.  You could use a throating reamer as was suggested, but the pistol reamer on it's own may or may not give the best results.

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
I use a 32 H&R barrel reamer, not a cyl reamer.
I don't work on any revolvers, there won't be any confusion.
Agreed on incompatibility.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint