Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question (Read 7472 times)
HG
Participating Member

32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question
Jul 17th, 2017 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I recently acquired a 32-40 Ballard on a pacific action that was built by the late Bud Welsh of New York state. Rifle appears unfired. I loaded 13.5 grains of 4227 behind a rcbs 170 gr FNGC seated out to engrave the rifling and it shot a .80x.30 4 shot group at 100 yrds. The barrel has 8 lands and grooves. .316 bore and .321 groove. The lands measure .020 wide and .0025 deep. The grooves are .130 wide.
There is .200 free bore. The twist is 15.5, It feels like the barrel is choked near the muzzle but I cannot get a measurement that confirms this. With all that said, where do I go from here? What bullet and powder? Would black powder work with the bore dimensions? I have a breech seating tool that came with the rifle but to use it I would have to remove the scope to seat bullet. 
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice,
HG

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
What is your intended use going to be I feel should be the first question to address and then to move foreward from there. Seaters can be made to use with a scope and your .200 freebore should not be an issue if you would like to pursue breech seating. My 28-35SS is cut with .220 thous. of freebore so I base that comment on extrmely competitive shooting experiance. 300MP is probably a better choice than 4227 it being the more consistent day in and day out also based on long term experiance and bullet choice is typicaly not overly critical but it should also be based around the intended use.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

HG
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I would like to get a competition started at out local gun club, 100 and 200 yards, bench and off hand.This rifle is built in a off hand style, lots of drop in the stock and deep hook butt plate.

HG

IP Logged

HG
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
bump

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
HG all I have ever shot was the type of rifle you have explained off the bench and have done extremely well with them over the past 16+ years and so will you once you get used to it so don't let it hinder you. 
I also wish you the best in forming a group in your area to either compete or just to go out and have fun with. 

JLouis

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I would make a guess that with that twist and barrel dimensions that a plain based bullet of around 200 grains might do a bit better in your rifle.  If you can get a 10 shot group around 1 inch at 100 yards, it will probably do pretty well at 200 yards.  I've always had good luck with 4227 powder.  Best of luck in your quest.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 1:29am
Print Post  
HG
As no one has offered any BP loading tips, I'll throw a few ideas at you.
1. Decide if you really want to shoot BP. With smokeless you will get better results with a lot less work. Not trying to talk you out of shooting BP, I love the stuff but just know it's work.
2. Breech seat bullets as you would for your smokeless loads. A bullet .001 greater than groove diameter will work with either smokeless or BP.
3. Swiss 1.5F would be a good powder for starters, or use what you have. Fill primed case even with case mouth by trickling powder through a drop tube (12 to 24 inch length). Press a snug fitting card wad, about .025 thick in case mouth. This compresses powder some, try wads as thick as .060 to see what gives best accuracy. 32-40s can be frustrating, as with some powders you can get case separations. If that happens use 1F powder and more compression.
4. You will have to wipe bore between shots. One damp patch from breech and out muzzle, followed by a dry patch, also through bore and out muzzle. You might have luck using dry patch only on chamber, leaving the bore damp, it's worth a try.
Good luck shooting with BP. 120-130 years ago, lots of matches were won by guys with 32-40s shooting straight BP.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

HG
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I have a few questions that I will post this afternoon when I get in from work. It's time to hit the door!
Thanks,
HG

IP Logged

HG
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for the replies. I feel better about this Ballard now because no one objected to the chamber and bore dimensions and it didn't blow up on the first 5 shots.
I am an avid muzzle loading competitor in both rifle and shotgun. I even load BP for my LC Smith for trap and doves. I got the bug for black powder cartridge shooting in 2006 and organized the first NRA BPCR Silhouette matches for our local gun club in '09. Numbers are dwindling and I really would prefer target matches but our club doesn't have target pits. There are none within reasonable driving distance.
With that said, I hope to drop some of our monthly matches and start travelling to some of the other matches in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi and Georgia. I hope to get my feet wet in schuetzen competition along the way and get an informal match going here. What I learn here will be passed on to prospective shooters the same as I have done in the BP silhouette game. I enjoy getting people into the more traditional shooting sports and I do have people interested. When people have success early on they tend to embrace the challenge rather than giving up.
Questions: Is there an off the shelf 200 gr. mould that you would recommend or drawings available so that I might order one from BACO or Steve Brooks.
No wad with smokeless breech seating? 
Is there any difference in how deep I would breech seat the bullet for smokeless or BP? 
Should the same bullet that works for smokeless work for BP?
I realize that experimentation is part of the process and I do enjoy load development. I understand my miles may vary but when top shooters give advice I listen and I don't go against the grain.
Randy, smokeless scares me when it is loaded in the small amounts that are used in large cases and I really enjoy the challenges that BP brings to the sport. Especially when I out score the white powder guys. 
Thanks gain, I owe everybody a beer.
HG

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Having never shot BP breech seated its best I just bow out but if you ever need help with smokeless send me a PM. If you have no qualms about adding a lug to your action and or barrel send me an e-mail and I will send you a picture of an easy breech seating tool to make from a Colt loading lever from Dixe Gun works. 

johnnymlouis@gmail.com

JLouis

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Since Brooks is an option, maybe you can do a chamber cast with the throat, some bore and send it off to him. I'd consider letting him recommend the design and and how to use it. I'd stay on the watch for used molds by the smaller makers including Welsh. While I'd have my doubts, I'd also try the NOE 217gr. just for kicks. For this rifle and cartridge, I'd just stick with smokeless you already have and maybe give another powder or two a good try. The way you described how the rifle started off, it sounds like one that I'd be interested to try at least two or three molds and fiddle with loads. Best of luck with it.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Bud Welsh used a variety of barrels over the years at one point he made some barrels of his own. He used Douglas and I owned a Borchardt he fitted a Schoyen barrel to. 
For your use with a 1:15.5” twist especially if you are going to use black Powder or duplex loading I would use about a 170 to 190 grain bullet. I would look into a tapered bullet in that range. The one other thing that would be a factor is the Ballard action a Cast or a forged action? If cast use it only as a black powder action, if forged it is fine to use it with loads up to 14.5 grains of 4227.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:32am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:57am:
The one other thing that would be a factor is the Ballard action a Cast or a forged action? If cast use it only as a black powder action, if forged it is fine to use it with loads up to 14.5 grains of 4227.

40 Rod

If it's really a Pacific action it would always be forged.

If you want to breech seat and still use the scope, you can build a breech seating tool that straddles the scope. I built this one to use on my Ballard rifles that allows it to work with iron sights or scope, and doesn't require using the sight base to hook it on the action.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

HG
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I want to thank the members of the forum for their help and advice that got me up to speed on my Ballard 32-40. The load that gives best accuracy is:
Same case resized Starline 38-55 trimmed to 2.11" 
CCI 200 BR Primers
Saeco 200gr tapered sized to .321"
Breach Seated .050 in front of case mouth
15.3 gr IMR4227 ,no foam,no wad
1435 fps average with extreme spread of 5 fps per 10 shots
Rifle muzzle is raised near 70 degrees and then carefully lowered into rest before firing
9 shot group measured 1.2" extreme vertical 
3.7"  extreme horizontal with 3:00 3-7 mph wind 
No wind flags, same point of aim, one bad shot break that is excluded. IF! this group was centered up on the 200 yard target it would score 240 4X with the excluded shot.
Thanks again for all the advice.
   HG  

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
HG
You seem to be getting good accuracy with your Ballard. IMO, 15.3gr of IMR 4227 with a 200gr bullet seems a bit stout for and original Ballard if you intend to shoot it a lot. I recommend you consider trying to find an accurate load that is about 1gr less.
As your shooting progresses, I suggest you try not lifting your muzzle before shooting. IMR 4227 is fairly insensitive to powder positioning in the case in my experience. It won't damage anything to try it and not lifting your rifle between shots may actually improve your accuracy. When shooting bench rest, moving your rifle between shots changes the geometry (a little) between the front rest and rear sand bag each time you move it.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
RandyW, it's a bit less stout when breech seated, since there's more air space in the cartridge. As a fixed load it would concern me too.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I was going to chime in here belatedly with another Bud Welch gun's results, but with the direction this thread has gone, I don't know how useful it will be to you.

Several years ago I bought a Welch-built schuetzen package for the scope on it... at the time I'd never heard of Bud Welch.  Huh  It was based on a Ruger #1 action with a Douglas Premium barrel, and came with a 195 gr bullet mould cut by Mr Welch.  The PO had been shooting fixed ammo comprised of that bullet (lube unknown) over something like 16.4 gr (IIRC) of 4227 in Remington brass. and that load was deadly accurate at 100 yds.  I used them all up before I realized just how good they were, but since I got the mould and dies with the deal, I could more-or-less duplicate that ammo.  Wink

I'm not sure I would load an original Ballard action (even a forged Pacific action) quite that hot, but that's what I experienced in my one Welch-built 32-40.  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint