Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question (Read 7474 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
RandyW, it's a bit less stout when breech seated, since there's more air space in the cartridge. As a fixed load it would concern me too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: 32-40 Chamber-Barrel-Load Question
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I was going to chime in here belatedly with another Bud Welch gun's results, but with the direction this thread has gone, I don't know how useful it will be to you.

Several years ago I bought a Welch-built schuetzen package for the scope on it... at the time I'd never heard of Bud Welch.  Huh  It was based on a Ruger #1 action with a Douglas Premium barrel, and came with a 195 gr bullet mould cut by Mr Welch.  The PO had been shooting fixed ammo comprised of that bullet (lube unknown) over something like 16.4 gr (IIRC) of 4227 in Remington brass. and that load was deadly accurate at 100 yds.  I used them all up before I realized just how good they were, but since I got the mould and dies with the deal, I could more-or-less duplicate that ammo.  Wink

I'm not sure I would load an original Ballard action (even a forged Pacific action) quite that hot, but that's what I experienced in my one Welch-built 32-40.  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint