Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel blanks (Read 36083 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel blanks
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Absolutely, the best shooters usually win. But, their equipment definitely plays a role.

Would be up for same if I weren't on a "health break" for the next few months. But, again, only thing in BPCR that is at anything near 200yd is 200m for chickens and OP states he is wanting to build a BPCR rifle. That means we should be shooting BP and not smokeless and shooting at a longer distance. I've got no quibble with either X-barrel or BRC barrels other than none that I'm aware of have shown up in the BPCR game that the OP is interested in. When they earn their place in BPCR then folks (even me. if I last that long) will start using them. Having another quality barrel available to competitors is always a plus.

Also, you are obviously a BR shooter, which I am not. In an attempt to take the shooter out of it, we would need to shoot for group off the bench at 200yd and then shoot prone off sticks at, say 400yd (close enough to 385m) to compare those results. Or, 600yd, if you prefer. Would need to limit scope power to 6X, as that is what I use. Unlike Schuetzen, BPCR has fairly conservative rules on rifles & sights & ammo.

Raton is just up the road from Silver City. You should take your rifle up there next month and shoot the 4-days of BPCR at the nationals and let us know how you do (can send you the link to pre-register or you can shoot as a 'walk-on'). You could do nothing better to "advertise" a BRC barrel for BPCR shooting then do well at the nationals (I managed 17th best out of ~125 shooters last year with a GM barrel - thank you to my spotter). If memory serves, the two winners (scope & open sights) shot a GM barrel and Bartlein barrel, both 45cal. The Bartlein is a rare barrel in BPCR as they make very few 45cal barrels. 

If you need BP load info I would be happy to share what has worked for me. Of course, BPCR rifles are much like .22LR rifles and they like what they like, so you would need to fine-tune your loads to work best in your rifle.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:57pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Ken,
What twist is that 40-65 BRC barrel you are working with?
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
If there was one best barrel maker out there whose barrels would win all the matches, he would be the only barrel maker in business. 
Lee

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Variety is good I don't feel all barrels are suited for the very best of lead and tin plainbase cast bullet accuracy but they suit the very best in jacketed bullet accuracy extremely well. The folks playing that game have their specific preferances and they typicaly are not the same as ours. I would suppose for their own good reasons as often times the 1000yd. F-Class shooters also have their own as do the Tactical folks as do the Smallbore competitors. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Ken. Looking forward to your 40cal results.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Glenn extremely sorry to hear about your current health issues that have you down and hopefully its just temporary. All though we might not agree at times not being able to get out to enjoy the same as I shooting has you in my Prayer's and I truly do wish you the best and hope you get well soon.

JLouis

IP Logged

almat
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Ken or anyone have you tried any of the BRC barrels with black powder. I am guessing there  would be an accuracy difference between smokeless and black powder do to several reasons? Someone correct me if I have the wrong idea. 

I didn't realize this was going to be a heated topic. But it sounds like someone might get some good food out of it. 
I was looking to keep the cost down with "cheaper" barrel (not to offend anyone). I got my first Ron Smith barrel several months ago, very good barrel. I can't afford 400$ every time I want a barrel. Thanks for all the I put.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 6:30am
Print Post  
JL - thanks for the kind words - am on the mend.

almat - this isn't "heated" at all. Just a discussion based on real world experience. When it gets "heated" names will fly and moderators will be called.  Wink  Am sure we all wish Ken the best with his new 40cal barrel efforts and look forward to having another quality alternative available.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Almat please don't look at it as being heated but rather informative and a broader look at what is typicaly being used in the various shooting venues by the top competitors. When it comes to BPCS Glenn is indeed correct there are probably more GM barrels being used by the top compeitiors than any of the others mentioned for that venue and I would think it would also hold true for the remaining Badger barrels. That knowledge would fall under Glenns field of expertice as well as others in that sport. I don't even have the slightest bit of knowledge pertaining to that shooting venue or anything that revolves around it. I thought you were looking for advice on an extrememly competitive benchrest barrel and my error or I would have stayed out of the conversation all together.

JLouis

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I guess I'll jump in here too with my barrel-trying-out-experiences, as I heard mentioned "choked-barrels".  Smiley

Don't know if all of Ron Smith's (RKS) barrels are choked but at least his stainless-steel, gain-twist ones are, that I've used now on both a 44 1/2 Stevens and a Highwall. I have these on rifles that I use for BPCR Silhouette competition and I am getting some pretty good accuracy with. They are both .40-65s. [I also considered Ron's barrels due to the great results his barrels were getting in Schuetzen matches].

I went with S.S. because Ron mentioned that he was getting some very smooth rifling after using his single-cutter, cut-rifling process, similar, or possibly the same process, as used by Harry Pope (I have never had a leading issue with either barrel. Not even small flakes on a tight patch). I also tried gain-twist for why-nots and also to see for myself if there was any advantage to it. I've heard that Ron's groove-cutting process somehow produces the "choke" rather than producing it by lapping, which I believe cannot be used on a gain-twist barrel. 

The barrel on my Stevens 44 1/2, which is 16 twist, set a national record a few years back for 25 Ram target hits in a row. The Highwall, which I built last year and use mostly now, has a 14.5 twist and is doing pretty darn good so far this year. When I first tried it on paper early last year, off the bench at 300 meters with a 20x scope, I shot a very impressive group before the mirage started up and ran the hardest I've seen to date.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a new barrel, an RKS barrel can also be one of your considerations.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Barry Darr's barrels also had a choke and back in the 70's they were considered to be one of the best lead and tin bullet barrels out there if not thee best. I too believe there is something to a choked barrel all of those in the past and present seem to continue to prove that out. I might also add if you have a Darr barrel you still have one of the best and are very fortunate to have one. Some of the records set back during that time period and when they were still being made have yet to bettered. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
All of Ron Smith's barrels are choked whether they are gain twist or straight twist.

They are a continuous cut rifle choke of .0004" from the chamber to the crown of the rifle.

Yes it is a straight taper and not a stepped lapping that others use to choke a barrel.

Choking provides improved accuracy whereas the gain twist extends the life of your barrel by 10% to 15%.

I always get RKS gain twist barrels since it does provide additional value without any increased cost to produce the barrel.

My BPCR partner is a Master using a RKS gain twist barrel with black powder and I have shot a 1245/1250 (45/50 bulls eyes) with  my .32 RKS barrel in a wind that had the flags 30 degrees off the post.

However you also have to be a top shooter to see the exceptional benefits of using a top end barrel.

There are many good barrel manufacturers (BRC, Douglas, Kreiger and of course RKS) that can provide a rifled tube that will definitely help most shooters to develop their skills.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2017 at 6:52pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I totally agree with the exception of any barrel no matter how its made or by whom being able to shoot through the wind, mirage or both that someone eluded too nor will it have any slight advantage over any of the other top extremely competitive barrels currently being offered or for that matter those in the past. There comes a point in time when an extremely accurate barrel has given all it has to offer and then the man behind has to come into play to take full advantage of it by using his hard earned and time consuming self learned skills. Its called pratcice, practice, practice and yet more practice and allot of hours spent doing load development along the way to get one self and his barrel there. Once a competitor comes across an extremely competitive barrel and has it installed property as well as everything associated with getting the most out of it. It then becomes 100% shooter skills and the barrel no longer plays any part in it or becoming one of the top shooters across the Country no matter what the competitive shooting venue he is shooting in might be nor does Luck have anything to do with it.

JLouis

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
It is certainly a big confidence builder to know your barrel and your reloads as accurate as possible as you can then work on your shooting techniques knowing that a miss is you and not your equipment. When you don't have this confidence you have a miss you have no idea what to improve on and the frustration just builds and builds.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Yes Sir and so true! 
I have enough comfidence in my equipment to call all of my shots and if one ends up going somewhere else it's then simply up to me to figure out what condidtion I missed or what it is I did wrong the rilfe had nothing to do with it. If so I then know what mechancaly could be taking place like one leg on the coil hammer spring failing as just being one small example.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint