Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel blanks (Read 36061 times)
almat
Participating Member

Barrel blanks
Jun 23rd, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Starting a project which barrel blank to use? X-caliber or Green Mountain? It's going to be a 45-70 or 45-90 used for BPCR. Thinking a 1:18 twist 500gr bullet. The gm in 45 unturned blank is cut rifling, X-caliber is button. The action is a Remington rolling block just starting BPCR, both barrels are at a good price point. I get there not $400+ and you get what you pay for. Thank you

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: Barrel blanks
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 8:10am
Print Post  
welcome. lots of helpful people here you'll hear from them shortly.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I have two GM 1:18" twist .45-70 barrels on a Hepburn, and a Ballard. Both shoot great, and better than I can hold anymore. Have another GM .40 caliber barrel I just got that will be going on another Rolling Block project I'm currently working on.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I would take a close look at the new BRC Choked barrels / blanks they are proving to be one of the best currently out there and for a little over $200.00 they extremely fair priced. There have been several test reports and target results shared on this site and if you do a search they should come up.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 11:09am
Print Post  
At the big Spokane match, this May. A GM barrel shot a 247 & 248, to win the NW ISSA Regional!

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I'm a dealer for GM and use their barrels when they have what I need. I also use quite a few X-caliber barrel, have a couple on order now. I also use Shilen and Douglas. I quit using McGowen. Had a little trouble with a Shaw barrel warping when I machined it, hope they learned how to stress relieve (they did replace the barrel).
The GM barrel that is 35" is cut rifled the 27" is button rifled.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:47am:
I would take a close look at the new BRC Choked barrels / blanks they are proving to be one of the best currently out there and for a little over $200.00 they extremely fair priced. There have been several test reports and target results shared on this site and if you do a search they should come up.

JLouis

Just a note on BRC's great barrels! The price is for a full round barrel at $149 plus shipping, up to 33". If it's an octagon they run $275, and if half octagon they run $149 plus $200 to shape. Still very affordable, and from the resulting groups I've seen posted here, they're accurate too.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I'll add +3 on the BRC barrels, bought a 45 cal. blank for my son's first gun build,  45-70 rolling block.  He's done a half round - half octagon, it's still in the "white" but he's shooting it and it is performing well.  The product seems to be exceptional for the price, delivery was very prompt also.
G

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

almat
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I was looking to narrow my choice, but know I have three. Thanks for adding BRC I forgot about them. I even read all the postings when I was looking for a 32 barrel. Everyone seems to be having great results with them. The $149 for a unturned blank sounds better. Spending a day contouring a barrel is a good day. The old saying if you find something you like you never work a day. Thanks for all the input. I 've had one bad experience with GM I am not convinced it was the barrel.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Almat I too have had a bad experiance with a GM barrel and will never take the chance to order yet another. It takes alot of time consuming work to profile, polish, turn the tenon, cut the threads. chamber, headspace, cut the extractor, cut off and crown the muzzle, D&T for scope blocks etc. just to find out it isn't even good to use for a boat anchor let alone of habing any hopes of shooting half way decent 100yd. Groups. I don't even have the heart to sell it to anyone one I highly dislike. Having done five Douglas XX's and a few RKS's somewhat recently I have yet to have one that was not extremely competitive. But I sure do want to try one of the BRC's choked barrels someday not because of the price but due to the remarkable continued posted results being shared. Ken has not mentioned it but he hasn't even spent any serious time doing load development with new to him 300MP in the 32-40.

JLouis

IP Logged

almat
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Jlouis 
I am really thinking of making a phone call to BRC Monday. I've seen the targets Ken has posted a few times and they look real promising. I just got done with a Ron Smith barrel, but haven't spent much time shooting. The Weaver scope I was using had to go back for repair.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Almat no matter which path you end up choosing I truly do wish you the very best on that Journey. 

JLouis

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Lots of winners shoot GM barrels in BPCR/BPTR out to 1000yd. Never seen an X-barrel there nor have I seen a BRC barrel in the winners circle. If you are serious about BPCR & BPCR go with what the winners use. Never had a fault with a GM barrel and they are likely the most popular in BPCR/BPTR. Winners use them for a reason.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Glenn I am sure they might do just fine for SillyWets but I have yet to see one being used for serious Schuetzen or CBA competition in the past 16+ years. Minute of animal and precision shooting at 200yds. are indeed not one in the same by any means. Currently RKS, Douglas and few Shilen's rule those demanding competitive disiplines and the BRC's are very quickly becoming the next to join that elite group. One thing that I do totally agree with on is to use what the winners are using and so far GM has not been in that group. Looking over the 2014 ISSA National equipment list for those barrels listed there were 20-RKS, 15- Douglas, 2-Hart, 1-Darr, 1-Badger, 3-GM none in the winners circle and the rest originals or not listed out of 58 benchrest competitors being shown. The top five in 25 Cal. and CF any sight bench were using 6-RKS, 2-Douglas, 1 Hart and 1-original. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Glenn,

Take Ken up on his challenge. Henrietta makes a darn good lunch!

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint