Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 417 and (?) scope (Read 2821 times)
Mike65

Stevens 417 and (?) scope
May 17th, 2017 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I just acquired this 417.  Metal is original and in excellent shape including the bore, locks up tight and has some color left in the receiver.  Sights have been changed over the years with a Beach's on the front and an unknown tang sight.  Serial number 26xx with a 7 in a circle stamped on the side of the barrel.

Question, is the sight base for a 48L or a 52L?   

Scope is not marked as to maker although it does have an Litschert objective on it marked 15, standard blue.  The only markings on the tube are 50 FT underscored and 200 YDS & OVER underscored with an 8-X under that. These markings are right at the end of the threads where the bell screws on.  Scope uses standard mounts.  Strange (to me) is that the tube is brass that was painted black long ago.  I didn't think Litschert used brass tubes but I'm not a collector so I really have no idea.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 417 and (?) scope
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Mike65 wrote on May 17th, 2017 at 10:33am:
Scope is not marked as to maker although it does have an Litschert objective on it marked 15, standard blue.  The only markings on the tube are 50 FT underscored and 200 YDS & OVER underscored with an 8-X under that. These markings are right at the end of the threads where the bell screws on.  Scope uses standard mounts.  Strange (to me) is that the tube is brass that was painted black long ago.  I didn't think Litschert used brass tubes but I'm not a collector so I really have no idea.

Mike

Not a true Litschert at all, but one of his "upgrades" of another maker's scope; can't make out anything in your photo, but from your description, it sounds like one of the ".22 scopes" Winchester sold in the '30s, marked only on their very cheap mounts, which on this scope have been replaced with better ones.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2017 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I would like to see a close up of the 8x marking. Should be a Winchester 8x made specificaly for a Winchester 75 Bolt action .22 target rifle. I picked one up at a gun show many years back for $25 and bought it for the mounts and it was cheap. It ended up on my Winchester 75 Military trainer. Nice 417. Still looking for one in .22 WRF.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2017 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on May 17th, 2017 at 9:25pm:
I would like to see a close up of the 8x marking. Should be a Winchester 8x made specificaly for a Winchester 75 Bolt action .22 target rifle.

What's puzzling about these 8X scopes is that they seem to be far more common than the original 2.5 & 5X models.  All these scopes were discontinued by the end of 1941, by which time the 75 had only been in production about 3 yrs. (did not make the '39 Stoegers). Complicated subject, but most thorough discussion I've found of the models originally intended for use with these scopes is found in Watrous' (old) history of the company.  They were actually intended for lower priced guns than the 75, the rarest of which were the two models built without sight slots in the brl., only scope blocks.

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I didn't resize these photos so I hope that they didn't come out too large.  A couple shots of the markings and also one of the ocular if that will help.

Finding some original iron sights would be nice but I understand that they are hard to come by and expensive if you do find them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) mystery_scope_004__2_.jpg (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) mystery_scope_010.jpg (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) mystery_scope_011.jpg (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2017 at 10:33am
Print Post  
It was originally one of the 8X Winchester scopes all right.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Yes thats it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint