Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Multiple Barrel Stevens? (Read 5297 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Multiple Barrel Stevens?
Reply #15 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Yes, someone could always damage or blow up any old gun. But what can possibly happen shouldn't make us take such drastic measures as altering our guns with stamped warnings, or we'd end up looking like a Ruger with a big "Warning!" rollstamp and a short paragraph on all our old guns!
Better to simply take care ourselves, and not worry about every jughead who might do something stupid down the road later.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
In short, this wildly customized Stevens requires careful feeding as-is, I'd seriously think of getting a nice quarter-bore barrel and extractor for it, and I might even go so far as to have FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY stamped on the current barrel.

Bill Lawrence

On this rifle, I wouldn't object to the above, because of the poorly done lettering. But, NOT on a factory chambered rifle!!

How are you going to protect the public from factory rifles?

These rifles aren't as delicate as you think. My very first single shot was a, like new 44, in 32/40. I didn't know anything about SS's or the strength of them. I bought it in 1985 and to get brass to reload, I bought the factory John Wayne ammo with the jacketed bullets. I fired that whole box for the brass and then went on to reload them with smokeless.

After reading more about them, I started loading it with two loads, both fixed and BSed. First was 4 gr 4759, with a full case of FG on top. Second was Harvey Donaldson's load of 12.2 gr 4759, all loading with the 319273 bullet (~185 gr). It's still as tight as when I first bought it.

The 38/55, with BP pressures, produce no more breech block thrust than a 32/40 and is no more dangerous to shoot than a 32/40 chambered rifle. 

I've never seen a factory 38/55 but, have seen several 32/40's (all with lugged hammers) so, I think the 38/55's are fairly rare.

Phil, how many none lugged 32/40 or 38/55 have you documented and where the barrels numbered to the frame?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I think a big key to Frank's success with the factory loads is the fact that he pointed out his rifle as like new. That must have helped because I did similar when I got a trapdoor that had lived in the dark corner of some militia armory for a century. I had to clean cosmoline (or whatever it was) before I could use it. But, I took it to the range with two boxes of jacketed ammo suited to a Marlin or Ruger and blasted away. Then I reloaded them with more suitable stuff.
Had I done that with a typical used old rifle, I might not have got away with it, and Frank could have harmed his if it were more worn. I've learned, and I hope most of the rest of us have as well. I hope MM1 checks his new rifle out very well before any shooting, and approaches its use in a cautious manner. Good luck, and safe shootin'.
By the way, that trapdoor shot the high speed ammo to about a zero of 300 yards with the sight bottomed out.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:49am:

Better to simply take care ourselves, and not worry about every jughead who might do something stupid down the road later.

Exactly.  If such a gun suffers the misfortune of falling into the hands of an imbecile, a bad outcome of some kind is unavoidable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint