Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New member with a new( to me) rifle (Read 1303 times)
Muddly
Participating Member

New member with a new( to me) rifle
Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Hello all.
Been an exclusive muzzleloader for awhile now, but thought it might be a good idea to have a breechloader. Had a LOT of fun a few years back, with a Handi rifle. Had a 22 Hornet, 30-30, 45-70, 12 gauge shot and a rifled 20 bore slug barrel. All were excellent and put a lot of smiles on my face and meat on the table. Sold the Handi to finance my reenacting career...
Yesterday, I bought a gently used TC Encore in .270 WCF. I put a spare Bausch & Lomb 1.5x6 on her and am looking forward to our first range trip.
Obviously, the 270 is a long range round, and I have had good fortune with it. But I like the older shorter range rounds better. Easier on both the rifle and me!
I will be looking to get barrels for the 30-30, 45-70 ( must have a thumper) and maybe something nice like the 38-55. This is my first Encore. #107xxx, Rochester production, blued and no rotating hammer spur. Nice piece of walnut too. Glad they handle better than they look! She fits like she was made for me. Am hoping for sub 2 inch groups with the factory loads I bought. 
I really love blued steel and walnut. This one has both and I'm looking forward to wearing the finish off both!

IP Logged

mctaylor250
Participating Member

Re: New member with a new( to me) rifle
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Hi Muddly,  welcome to the forum.  I love my TC encore. So far I have a 243 and 45-70 20" Katahdin barrel.  If you want a short fast handling gun take a look at the Katahdin barrels.

Mike

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
If that .30-30 barrel you're planning works as well as a friend's, yer gonna love it. He's also got one for .300 Savage and it's pretty good as well. 
Welcome to the joint, glad ta have ya.

IP Logged

Muddly
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks! The 45-70 carbine would be quick in the brush, but I have a thing for longer barrels. Got my first, and largest, deer with the 30-30. 
I'm just getting into this, but I would be happy with 26 inch barrels for everything. I like aperture sights and the longer barrel increases sight radius, which is useful. I also like that you can drop the powder charge and still maintain velocity.
I'm curious as to recoil. There was a fellow that described the recoil of a 300 Winchester Magnum Encore as " The wrath of God". I think, other than the 45-70, my larger than deer round might well be a 35 Whelen. Hopefully, recoil will be manageable. A muzzleloader barrel might be nice, but I already have 2 Black Diamond XR's. One is a 50, the other a Super 45.
Suddenly, I can see this being an expensive rifle...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint