Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CPA w/ BP (Read 2961 times)
Tatume

CPA w/ BP
Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Hello Folks,

My CPA-Stevens 44-1/2 is a beautiful gun and I enjoy shooting it very much.  It would be fun to shoot with black powder, as I know many of you do.  I own many muzzle loading rifles and am well versed in caring for them, but I'm concerned about the effects of BP fouling inside the action of the Stevens.  What parts of the rifle must be disassembled and cleaned following the use of BP?

Thanks, Tom

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: CPA w/ BP
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
I shot a CPA for years using BP.  Never had a problem inside the action.  Ever once in a while I'd remove the block and clean just to be sure.   

No problems ever.

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Tatume
I breech seated with BP, wiped with two wet patches between each shot. At the end of the shooting session I just stripped the action down, cleaned and ready to go. The action is easy to break down.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Tatume
I have had 4 CPA Stevens over the last five or six years, all have been shot solely with black powder. The calibres were 40/65, 38/56. 45/90 and lastly my current 40/60 Maynard.
None of these rifles have given me a moments problem. My cleaning routine is two "damp" patches followed by one dry patch between shots. Final cleaning at  the end of the day consists of  about five damp patches ( till they come out clean) then a dry patch. This is followed by spraying WD40 into the barrel and a little into the action and passing a patch, wetted with WD49 through the bore and over the metalwork. 
To this day I have had no issues whatsoever with corrosion or action malfunctions. My rifle is fired on a daily basis, for long term storage however I would go with one of the heavier gun oils rather than WD40.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Any number of master level BPCR shooters use CPA rifles. Never heard anyone complain about the action being difficult to clean or needing anything out of the ordinary. Most folks I know clean the action around mid-season and at the end. No reason to disassemble the action to clean more often unless something unusual has happened.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I don't remove the breech block every time.  Just every now and then.  It's pretty easy to do.  No more difficult than a highwall.

Chris.

IP Logged

bucksnort

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Are the bullets breach-seated?  If so, how does that work with compressing the BP charge and not having any air space between the bullet and wad?  Thanks.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
A little airspace won't hurt anything.  My breechseated loads usually have a full case of powder, but not always. Even so I've always got between 1/16" to 1/8" of airgap or so.  I once experimented with filling the gap with a felt wad.  It was pointless so I stopped.

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint