Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bay State 32 (Read 3323 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Bay State 32
Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I bought this just now at auction.
It has the same patent dates as my H&A/Merwin-Hulbert 32-20.
H&A bought Bay State around or before 1895. (probably 1887, but Bay State continued under their own name till 1895
This one should be 32 rim and centerfire, with a sliding dovetail in the breechblock to convert it.
This model was called "Groundless", seems an odd name.
This model was also made in a target version in 32-40.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:08pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Bay State 32
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Is that forend original?  Never seen one go around the bottom of the front of the receiver like that.

Have a couple H&A/M&H mid-sized specimens, but missed my one chance at a Bay State eons back.  Congratulations!

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Did you get that online at Cordiers in Harrisburg Pa, right? If so, had a bid on it too but you out did me and congrats. 

John

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I don't have the gun in my hands yet, but the forearm looks honest.
I did get it from the Cordiers auction. Sorry bout that Timetripper.
I bought an old Colt pistol at that auction too.
They want $115 to ship them both to me. I see that's in the fine print, but very high compared to the other auctions I participate in.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2017 at 8:54am by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
No hard feelings Rebel, there were others who overbid me too.  Wink
I live close by in Carlisle but didn't get a chance to go over to the sale to check it out. Pleas let us know more about that rifle when it comes home.

John

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Will Do.
I've been to Carlisle for the car shows, nice place.
Usually stop at Gettysburg, but the last couple of times the aura around the battlefield was debilitating.
Aaron

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Far as I know Wm. Davenport's Bay State firm was bought out in 1888, soon after it failed.  The name disappeared then.  H&A apparently hired or maybe contracted Davenport, and slightly reworked the design. It appeared under the Merwin Hulbert banner until MH went bankrupt.  I just bought one such, in .22 rimfire.  That "sliding dovetail" I know nothing about.  My .32 Colt CF  Bay State does not have it.   The forend on my Bay State does not go around the receiver like that.   

Davenport was big into designing shotguns.  Was the name Bay State maybe kept on a shotgun?   
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:48am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 8:33am
Print Post  
yes, I've seen some Bay State shotguns, made by H&A.
Here's a link to the patent #326276 on the breach, I hope it has it.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Phil, is your Bay State a H&A, like my 32-20?
Aaron

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
My Bay State is marked "Bay State Arms Uxbridge Mass USA" on the barrel, just forward of the rear sight slot.  It has a tang sight, certainly original, and the slot has a filler block in it and is 7/16 wide.  Back near the receiver is marked "Pat'd June 28. & Sept 15. 1885"  There is no caliber marking, but a .32 Long Colt cartridge fits perfectly.  Hard rubber buttplate with a complex monogram on it.  It has a small screw oriented vertically alongside the trigger that looks like a sear engagement adjuster for the plain trigger.  I have never detail stripped this rifle and don't plan to.   Before I found Tenmile as a source for the correct heeled bullets, I breech seated .32 cal HBWC bullets.  Either way it doesn't set the house afire.  Maybe 3 MOA at 40 yards.   

The rifle as made by Bay State has the hammer axle internal to the receiver, whereas the H&A version has a more normal screw through both walls.  The extractor is a finely machined inverted "L" which comes in from 9 o'clock.   

My H&A .22 has that flat stamped extractor on the left side. Product cheapening department.  The H&A rifle is marked with two lines on the top flat of the barrel, "Hopkins and Allen Manfg. Co Norwich Conn, USA" and "Merwin Hulbert New York USA Sole Agents."  forward of the rear sight slot, then "Pat. June 23 85 Oct 2 88  22 R.F." back by the receiver on the top flat.  One the 2 o/clock flat is "Patent Applied For."  It has that odd tapered screw coming in from the side for sear engagement adjustment.   This rifle was lovingly worked over by a skilled 'smith not too long ago.  It has a .22 liner in the barrel, the extractor is tightly fitted and works, that sear adjustment also works.   

There are surely other internal differences, but as I said I have not dismantled the Bay State.   

I had a chance to buy another .32 CF Bay State at a gun show in Indiana, but passed it up as it was in lesser shape, and the seller wanted too much for it, I thought at the time.  It wasn't long before I started wishing I'd dickered harder with him.  Didn't realize back then how few real Bay State rifles there are.

<div class=

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your detailed description, Phil.
Once the gun is in my hands, I'll post some pics.
You're right about the forearm.
Seems I might be disappointed in the breechblock, but hopefully not the rifle. I really like my H&A.
Here's a link from the Mass tax code showing organization date.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Aaron
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 9:48pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Got the Bay State today.
Other than the forearm, the rifle is very honest with good rifling and it does have a well fitted, horizontally sliding, dovetailed insert in the breechblock that converts it from rim to centerfire.
32 Long Colt fits well, I don't have any 32 Long Rimfire to try.
I'll get some pics as soon as I get the old grease out of it.
The barrel, receiver, and buttstock are numbered 402.
Picked up a .22LR Colt Police Positive Target from the same auction, it's just like Xmas at Easter, or Hannukah at Passover.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:56pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Very good !!

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint