Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Range report. Encore.270WCF (Read 1425 times)
Muddly
Participating Member

Range report. Encore.270WCF
Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
First time out. Hornady American White tail 130 grain.
Recoil was surprisingly light, although I did learn one should not creep up on a scoped Encore. Barrel heat was very modest, copper fouling was heavy. Cases had a 760 bulge. Unfired cases are a tad loose in the chamber so no surprise there. Primers were flush and rather flat. Given that the 270 is a high pressure round, again no surprise.
Accuracy was not terrible for factory loads. 100 yard 3 rounders range from 1 5/16 to 1 7/16. I doubt the previous owner shot her enough to break her in. 
I'm pleased with this first outing. I have done nothing to correct any defects, so it's up from here.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Range report. Encore.270WCF
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
How much swelling of the belt was there? Most high pressure cases will get a little ring enlarged above the thick web area, but it isn't enough to make me think bulge. Just a matter of your terminology compared to mine? 
Other than that, sounds like a good time was had- crowding scope or not Grin

IP Logged

Muddly
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Didn't mike it, but it is just ahead of the web. Not wartime No4 Enfield level, but noticeable. Hornady brass isn't as heavy as Remington or Winchester, so those brands might show a lesser level. She may have a tight bore too. Copper fouling was extensive and in the grooves, it ran land to land. Primers were a little flatter than I'm used to seeing in factory loads. But primer appearance isn't particularly scientific in itself. Primers were not cratered.
The only dies I have at the moment, is a set of Lee Pacesetters. I'm using the full length die, backed out so as not to touch the shoulder. Will get a collet die asap. 
Going to start with lighter loads until we're used to each other. Not much sense in running full throttle if it isn't required. 
I am pleasantly surprised by the way the rifle shoots. By this I mean it's an easy rifle to shoot. Looks awkward, but it is very comfortable if you don't get all hunched up on it. Rest it higher and keep your head up. Happiness results. It's also superb offhand. I am recovering from shoulder surgery. My other rifles get me shaking like the dt's after about 5 seconds. The Encore, I'm good for almost 30. 
I've learned you have to learn how to shoot each rifle as an individual. I had a Marlin 336 that I could regularly keep under an inch for 3 at 100. I learned that rifle would plant 2 close and flip the 3rd up and right about and inch and a quarter. So I would hold low and left... Yeah. I know it's cheating...
This is going to be FUN!

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Muddy, I assume you reload and I'd like to give you a load that I have used over the past 50 years in my 270 Winchesters. It has shot accurate in more 270s than I can remember. Use either the Sierra 110 grain or the Hornady 110 bullet over 46 grains of 3031, and a WLR primer. Accuracy is very good and light recoil. That load has accounted for hundreds of woodchucks and crows for me. I think you will enjoy using it. The recoil is light and you'll have no scope eye.

Sendaro

IP Logged

Muddly
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the load Sir. Will try it soon.
Tried 2 loads today. 56 grains of H4831 under a 130 gr Hornady and a 130 Sierra.
Ooh did she LIKE them! Both shot to the same point of impact and both hovered around the 3/4 inch range for 3 at 100. I figure the velocity was in the 27-2800 fps area. Shot some Remington 130's. Inch he to inch an a half for 3 at 100. Copper plated the bore though. Cases show much less bulge than the Hornadys. Heavier brass... Anyway. She doesn't throw the first shot out of a clean cold bore. The first group is larger than subsequent groups, but point of impact is the same. In fact, this rifle stacks groups on top of one another very nicely. LOVE that!
There are a few points that need correction, according to conventional wisdom. The forend cheek(?)on the right side , contacts the frame a wee bit and the barrel isn't floated. Shoots pretty good anyway!
I replaced the Bausch and Lomb 1.5x6 with a Leupold VX1 3x9. Gained some much needed eye relief too!
I fired 40 rounds today. Way too much, BUT, I could only manage 10 rounds from my old Savage. These Encores are just so nice to shoot. You wouldn't figure it by the look of them...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint