Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .25 Stevens barn find (Read 7542 times)
cuslog
Senior Forum Member

.25 Stevens barn find
Jan 26th, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
A friend of mine brought this 'ol girl to me to "have a look at" and see what I thought about "resurrecting" her.
I thought there must be some "Stevens experts" here and if nothing else they might like to see it. 
I'm not even sure of what model it is ? 
Owner grew up on a farm, his uncles had it, cut it down with a hacksaw. Just kids, playing around on a farm. Of course highly illegal in its current form (at least here in Canada).
Obviously needs a lot of work, new barrel, wood, etc. etc. Action seems to work, though loose. Firing pin broken. Pins are all worn loose. Basically, it needs "everything".
Owner seems willing to spend some money on her - probably more than its really worth, but for him its the sentimental value, because he played with it as a kid. Says he'd just like to take it out and shoot a few Grouse with it again. Smiley

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: .25 Stevens barn find
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
It used to be  Grin a 1915 Stevens Favorite in a 25 rimfire caliber

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:25pm by »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
cuslog wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 10:40pm:
Owner seems willing to spend some money on her...

He'd better have a VERY liberal idea of "some."

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Looks like the 1894 Favorite action with a 1915 barrel set screw replaced for the original.  Somebody wanting to make a project out of it could rebarrel and restock it to make a nice .22 rimfire rifle.

I've fixed up worse.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Yup.  Won't even have to move the firing pin to make it a .22.  New screws and new extractors are available from Wisner's, maybe also Numrich. Wood shows up on Gunbroker and evilBay from time to time.   It'll make an excellent project, and not too costly.  If originality is not paramount, a Marlin Model 60 barrel can easily be machined to fit.  They show up on Gunbroker for as little as $40 sometimes. I Otherwise get a clapped-out Stevens barrel and reline it. Cost won't be prohibitive at all.   

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2017 at 12:53am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Numrich used to have new Favorite barrels. May still.

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:46am
Print Post  
I'm probably being paranoid...
But I would get that barrel and stock off of the receiver and, at least, store them somewhere else.

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 7:50am
Print Post  
broken_arrow wrote on Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:46am:
But I would get that barrel and stock off of the receiver and, at least, store them somewhere else.

Me too.
The first thing that came to mind when I saw this, is that it was probably used to slaughter hogs, etc. for butchering.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Measure the dimensions and contours of the barrel shank that fits into the receiver, and save the barrel stub for future reference.  There were several different shank sizes and shapes for that vintage Favorite, and a new or replacement barrel may or may not fit.  Much easier transferring the shape of the old barrel shank itself to the new barrel than divining it from measurements on the inside of the receiver.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 10:10am
Print Post  
It will take some buying luck to get it back to good working order and not have more in it than it's worth, or more in it than you could simply buy another for. But if you locate a decent barrel and wood cheap, you should be able to fix it reasonably. With some machine work skills, almost any donor .22RF barrel can be cut to fit the receiver takedown setup on a Favorite.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
broken_arrow wrote on Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:46am:

Yes, my first thought too. If the Coppers up here saw that, on a good day they'd just seize it and have it destroyed - on a bad day they'd seize it and charge you with possession of a prohibited weapon - which carries possible jail time.
Owner hasn't yet decided what to do with it but if it stays here with me for very long, that barrel will be separated from the action.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
1915's have smaller diameter trigger and hammer screws, should be marked 1915 model on top tang.  Early transition ones had this 1894 type block.  Full octagon barrel and T.D. screw are clues.  If still eager to restore: wire brush with a hand brush, then place it in a zip-loc bag with Evapo-Rust (Tractor Supply etc. ) for 2-4 days, then rinse with hot water, dry, and soak in Kroil or another good penetrant, then haunt ebay etc. for parts and use a good impact manual screwdriver to start peeling parts off.
Plan B:  tie it on your trot line to keep the hooks near the bottom where the big catfish are.
James

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Here's your buttstock:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 2:01am
Print Post  
coljimmy wrote on Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
1915's have smaller diameter trigger and hammer screws, should be marked 1915 model on top tang. 

Hammer and trigger screws interchange neatly between my 1894s and my 1915.  Ditto the breechblock and lever pivot screws.  I have only one 1915; I'd like the hammer/trigger screws to be about .050 longer to fill the hole better on the right side.  Do not know if mine is correct or not.   

The quick way to ID a 1915 receiver is to measure the thickness.  1915s are about .930" thick, 1894s are only about .870".   Breechblock of a 1915 is about .545" thick; an 1894 is only .496" or so.      

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 3:12am
Print Post  
If it's a 1915 receiver, get 1915 wood.    Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint