Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Browning Museum (Read 4493 times)
Baja_Traveler
Participating Member

Browning Museum
Jan 26th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Got back from a business trip to Ogden Utah a week ago, and while there took advantage of the sight seeing. First visit was to the Browning Museum, which is in the Train Station along with the railroad and old car museums. 
Very interesting learning about the history of Brownings rifle development from the very first single shots, up through machine guns. They have hundreds of rifles on display there, but here are a few pictures:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Next just a mile away up the hill was a visit to John Brownings house. It has been designated a national landmark, but still needs to be restored and possibly made into a museum of its own.

I also made the drive up to Morgan Utah to see the factory - a non-descript single story group of buildings next to an airstrip where only .22 rimfire pistols are being built. You wouldn't even know what it was without the browning logo on the front doors. Not worthy of a picture, and no tours available. 
If you are ever in the Salt Lake area, the museum is highly recommended though...

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Browning Museum
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the little tour of the place. I've never been there, but now I can see it'd be a place to visit someday.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
An an aside, if you own a building designated as a national historic site, you get to pay for the preservation & restoration, plus property taxes.  And you are very limited in what you can do with the property.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
having worked with historic properties under various state and federal designations let me comment the there are a number of different designations and all have varying degrees of restrictions from moderate and reasonable for a structure of national significance to the insanely restrictive even for structures of mostly local or regional importance. 
In the most common form (when I was involved c. '80s and '90s), the Federal "Natl. Register of Historic Places", the owner is relatively free to do what he wants (as long as the legal "permitting process" is followed) UNLESS federal $$$ are somehow involved. 

However in practical terms for a private owner the "permitting" process can be lengthy and legal costs expensive. Then there can also be multiple overlapping layers of  federal, state, and local historic designations, restrictions, and processes 

Locally the agency I was involved with was able to get a local but nationally significant railroad depot owned by AMTRAK designated as a Ntl Historic Structure (without Amtrak's approval---not sure than can be done now) and AMTRAK prevented from demolishing portions and "modernizing the rest because of their receipt of federal operational funding at the time.
However we also organized a local friends of the depot group that undertook local fund raising for restoration and several local garden clubs that took on the ongoing care of the building and grounds.  Now has a very cooperative and congenial relationship with the AMTRAK organization.      IT CAN be Done
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2017 at 3:39pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I visited the museum about 4 - 5 years ago on my way back from Idaho.  It's in the old Union Pacific railroad station, which is a historic landmark in and of itself.  Was well worth the time.

<div class=

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
not sure why but the pictures did not show other then a box and a red X on it?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
The Browning bow plant is just a bit from the firearms plant, also interesting.
Did you see the swimming pool? It's used creatively for fire prevention. Good biscuits and gravy in the cafeteria.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint