Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hollis, Field Pat (Read 5507 times)
Fazer

Hollis, Field Pat
Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Got a new toy. I Hollis and Sons, Fields Pat, in 500/450 No 2 Musket. It should be a good shooter. Now to get everything together.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Re: Hollis, Field Pat
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Very nice what a good looking rifle, I like them. Not sexy but very functional and robust.
I had the opportunity to examine one of them, 14 or 15 years ago, for a week and took some measurements. Back then I had built a Freund, Farrow, and Fraser so a Fields would be the next logical choice. I haven't built one yet but I did find the dimensions I took the other day. My last name starts with F and the guy who lent the gun to me (deceased now) his name started with F. Smiley

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
oh my Fazer!!  Being quite fond of the British and German single shots that one really brings a smile to my face.  Simply elegant!  Congrats sir!

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I too am fond of the English single shots. One good thing is I have a couple more in the same caliber, including a Westly Richards Deeley and Edge auctioned rifle. Just have find more brass, so each can have their own.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Wow Fazer, good for you and how interesting.  They have to be a lot of fun.  I'd love to work with an Alex Henry some day, cartridge wouldn't be that important so long as it wasn't something real common.

I have only one British single shot, a Jeffrey Champion #2 Rook Rifle.  When I got it the chamber had been reamed to 25-20 WCF and the bore was a sewer pipe.  I had it re-lined back to 25-20 WCF.  I really, really wanted to go back to the original 255 Jeffrey but it was simply cost prohibitive for me.

German single shots, I do a little better there.  I have 3 in the toy box.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
That's a nice Field. Would jump on one if I could afford it. Here's my 500/450 No 2 Musket. A Westley Richards takeoff on an internal hammer Peabody. Bought it for $10 in 1964. The good ol' days.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bought it for $10 in 1964.

It is amazing what was around and at what price. I like like the WR Improved Martini, as you can see. They are like the 1895 Winchester of the Martini world. People either love or hate the looks of them.

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
You can make the brass from 470NE which isn't too hard to come by these days - unless you need proper headstamps then Bertram is about the only maker I know of.
Does your rifle have a patent use number on the underside?

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Does your rifle have a patent use number on the underside?

In front of the trigger guard is 822. Took off the for end wood, there is 822. I am guessing serial/build number.
As well is stamped under barrel, No 2 Musket, then 226, then RH over 176

No idea what they mean

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Fazer, just from the looks of things, if that's your rack in the background, you should add a Martini variant or two... Smiley  Nice, very nice!!

I don't want to hijack the thread however, among so many single shot aficionado's seems a good place to ask.  A friend told me someone is making a Farquharson kit.  Does anyone know if that is true?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Nice Rifle, Fazer.  My Fields is my favorite rifle to shoot.  Mine is in .450 3 1/4.   

Is yours proofed for cordite or smokeless?  Mine is only proofed for black.  What I have read about them, the actions often locked up when shot with cordite, so they quickly lost favor when cordite loadings replaced blackpowder.   

Mine remained in service until the 1960's, killing seals.  It had a nearly 70 year career doing that.

I'd be very careful if it's not smokeless proofed and you intend to shoot other than black powder in it.

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I imagine that the problems with using smokeless stem from the firing pin being so large.
I don't recall seeing an original smokeless Field falling block except for some H&Hs and I suspect that they probably bushed the firing pins on those rifles.
A modern NfB load should be just fine in that rifle and the 500/450No.2 Musket is easy to load as I am sure you know.
The action is so simple and easy to dismantle, inspection of the block etc. is very easy.
Mine is a 500No.2 and a wonderful rifle to shoot although it is a little tired in the condition department.
Also, the number on the action is a use number of the patent which covered both the Field tilting block and falling block designs.  Not many of these around and generally most owners find them so simple and functional that they rarely leave their collections.  Sort of the English High Wall, only better Wink

IP Logged

57thahc

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Not to deviate,but the question about a  Farquharson kit,of course Rod Storie had one set up.Ballard of Mi. had Farqharson 
Rifles wonder if parts were/are  available.I will ask Steve Durren at the Adrian Mi. Schuetzen shoot Feb.5th. Dick Stack 57thahc Cool

Turned in my M60 for a Martini!

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall being told that someone, I think in Calf, was making Field's actions for shotguns. Can't tell you if it is true or not. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this. They weren't called Fields of course.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint