Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Components for a new High Wall hunter (Read 5484 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Components for a new High Wall hunter
Jan 14th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
  The postman delivered a package from Tree Bone carving today, enclosed was a 1885 stock set. I had traded Kenn Womack of (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) some work for the blank. Kenn dropped it off with George at Tree Bone and as usual he did a fantastic job of turning it. Once it was profiled a couple of flaws were uncovered on the right side. These will be filled and when finished should not be too objectionable. The action was purchased from Montana Vintage Arms at the 2015 Quigley Buffalo Rifle Match and has been seen on the forum before. Plans are to order a Kreiger barrel in either 7MM or 30 caliber, not sure yet if I want to barrel it in 7X57 rimmed or 30-40 Ackley Improved. At any rate it will be some time before the project receives the time required to make it into a reality, but until then I can enjoy looking at the components at hand and envisioning the end result.   

SSS

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Components for a new High Wall hunter
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
That's going to be absolutely beautiful.  Know you are proud as heck.  Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

Chris
IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 7:41am
Print Post  
It's always very exciting to start with an action and components for any new rifle project.

The wood is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's complete.  Don't wait until then to post photos though ... please post updates of the work in progress.

... Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
That's some very nice wood to start with! Can't wait to see how this all comes together!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Wood is stunning to say the least as is the quality of the action. What butt plate have you chosen to use, a checkered Neidner seems very fitting as would a checkered wood skeleton and just simply curious to your choice. It is indeed going to be a beautiful work of shooting Art and we could only hope that you would share your progress as you continualy move forward.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boho

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
That wood is wicked! Very nice my friend, I hope you find time to finish it.

Bob

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Those real short barrels are hard to mount scopes on because the blocks are almost touching. 'Course you get more elevation per click that way if you are using it for long range.....

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
That short barrel would look better half round half octagon and it'd be easy to do... - maybe if you made it smaller round you wouldn't smoke the wood as bad Cheesy 

All joking aside, a real nice start, I'm knee deep in one right now - an original with one of Ron Smith's blanks, don't think my wood measures up to yours, keep us posted.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the comments, I am looking forward to working on it.
  To answer John's question, since it will be a serious hunting rifle it will either be a solid steel plate or possibly a Old English Pachmayr. I like the McFarland plates and one of each on some of my unfinished Ruger #1 projects.
  And Joe, the barrel will look much longer when the suppressor is installed, the plan was to mount a red dot sight right onto the suppressor body itself. The color on the photos is off a little. The wood is a nice cream color with prominent dark streaks. My camera is showing its age, my phone takes better photos than the old Nikon.
  I will surely post more photos as the project develops. I enjoy all the feedback, good natured banter and comments from the like minded shooters on the forum.

SSS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint