Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) E A Leopold - Dr Baker - A O Niedner - Dr F W Mann (Read 26635 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: E A Leopold - Dr Baker - A O Niedner - Dr F W Mann
Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Sendaro wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 7:27am:
       ...My questions is who was Dr. Baker's? 
            Sendaro

I don't know either, except that he had to have been one very accomplished shooter & marksman to enjoy the privilege of hanging out with that crowd.

Wonder if he was one of the many professional men who wrote for the shooting periodicals under a pen-name?  Somewhere I have a list of those names, but don't know where to begin looking for it.

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #46 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I believe I read a line somewhere that Dr. Baker was an accomplished rest shooter. I could be wrong. 

Sendaro

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Somewhere I read a reference to property owned in the Shushan area called the "Medicus Woodchuck Preserve".  I think Dr. Baker was the owner.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 1:27pm:
Somewhere I read a reference to property owned in the Shushan area called the "Medicus Woodchuck Preserve".  I think Dr. Baker was the owner.

Sounds reasonable, but in one of his Rifleman articles, Tom Martin (Trim Nat) said Medicus was Dr. Skinner, a name I'm unfamiliar with.  He was writing this many decades later, however, so maybe his memory was slipping.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Think you may find more mention of "Medicus" if you look through issues of the old Rifle magazines (not the current modern magazine publication).

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
From an article by Niedner in the Rifleman, I've found that Dr. Baker's first name was Henry, but little more about him. They boarded at the Shushan House, where, he says, that recorded their hunts on the walls of the "gun room"; on very friendly terms with the proprietor, I assume. Said they had a 200 yd range at the edge of town, where they experimented with guns & loads.

In a piece by Ned Roberts for the Sept., 1912, Outer's Book, Ned told about one of these Shushan trips from which Mann, Niedner, & Baker had recently returned--possibly even the 1911 trip, for it might have taken a year for the piece to be written and published.  On this trip, Ned talks about Niedner using his "new" bolt-action rifle, and looking closely at the breech of the rifle in Niedner's hands, I believe that's IT--the one they called the "Hamburg Rifle" for the effect it had on chucks--a .25 / 86 g. bullet at an estimated 3600 fps!

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #51 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Yes I have read that it was Dr. Skinner that owned the Medicus woodchuck preserve. 

I've looked at the photo and tried to see what the rifle is that Mann is holding. It very well could be the hamburg. Niedner is holding a Stevens 44 1/2.

Sendaro

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Sendaro wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:47pm:

I've looked at the photo and tried to see what the rifle is that Mann is holding. It very well could be the hamburg. 

Sendaro

Visible (just barely) is a little glint that looks like the bolt handle root, and another glint that looks like the bolt cocking knob.

Where is this rifle now?

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #53 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I have to agree. It does look as though it is possible. Mann did have a rifle that Niedner reluctantly made for him blow up. I don't know if it was the Hamburger rifle.

Some of Mann's  Niedner items I understand are at the Walnut Hill Club. I think that the test barrels Niedner made for Mann are there. Not sure what else maybe there as well.

Sure would like to know more about Dr. Baker.

Sendaro

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I would also agree that Mann's rifle looks like a bolt action.

I would also like to point out that these men had all (or more) the resources that any shooter in the USA had in those years. I note that the scopes on those rifles did not have objectives, larger than 1". Even though there may have been scopes with larger objectives, these men would appear to favor the scopes mounted on thier rifles as the best that they could get for clear long range work.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:22pm:

I would also like to point out that these men had all (or more) the resources that any shooter in the USA had in those years. I note that the scopes on those rifles did not have objectives, larger than 1". Even though there may have been scopes with larger objectives, these men would appear to favor the scopes mounted on thier rifles as the best that they could get for clear long range work. Frank

And these guys were not penny-pinchers!  However, in Smith's Pope book, p. 115, is a photo of a Sidel with a 1" tube; that one, Smith raved about, but a 3/4" Sidel on another Pope, he criticized for several optical faults; Sidel built them in different grades and prices.  Ned Roberts said he thought Sidel was the first to fit objectives larger than tube dia., up to 1-3/4"; "when," he didn't say, but Sidel retired in 1916.  And around 1914, Fred Smith, the Stevens scope guru, mentions in a letter to Pope a special order 1-1/2" / 30X he was building for a private customer. But for chuck hunting in the East, such glasses were probably overkill.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Dr. S.A. Skinner wrote extensively for Shooting and Fishing under "Medicus". He was an expert markman and rifle crank. Dr. Skinner had his own range and The Medicus Woorchuck Preserve is only noted as being in his neighborhood and no mention of him owning it. This information is from FW Mann's Book if you would like to research it more fully / his life and accomplishments out side of shooting etc. and the rifles used should you want to research it long with Dr. Baker, Pope Neidner and others related to the subject and or not it in there you just have to find it.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
It is also noted Mann shot a Pope Ballard 28 caliber rifle at Medicus W.P and refers to the bullet being front seated if that might help. He also refers to one of the best at Medicus as using a 28 caliber Pope with 12X power scope with specially made fixed ammo and only mentioned as Mr A on a target shot to compare who's 28 shot best. Not allot of details on the 28's, 28/30? or possibly something else. There were some striker actions floating around during that time a couple of Ballards and Hi-Wall floating around anything possibly that looks like a striker conversion? There is no mention of a bolt rifle being used at Medicus that I can quikely find in the book. But then again it is hard to find anything if not going page by page and one word to to the next and I have no intrest in doing so right now but maybe one of you would. There is quite a bit of correspondence with Leopold and Skinner and talk about Baker, Skinner and Pope and something might pop up from it all.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:47pm:
Dr. Skinner had his own range and The Medicus Woorchuck Preserve is only noted as being in his neighborhood and no mention of him owning it. This information is from FW Mann's Book if you would like to research it more fully...

I have just been doing that, and especially like the photo of Dr. Skinner's shooting bench--a real masterpiece...of cob-jobbing that looks like it would blow over in the first strong breeze.   

Whoever owned the Medicus Preserve, it was located in Hoosick Falls, Skinner's home, not Shushan, about 20 miles away.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I looked for Henry Baker on Ancestry.com. Used a birthdate of 1860 and a residence of Shushan, NY.  Got something like 9.5 million hits.  I looked at 20 that seemed likely.  Carpenters, bakers, a cook, a guy in the insane asylum, salesmen, a wheelwright, farmers and a lot of farm laborers.  Nothing that would indicate an educated man with enough income to play at the woodchuck game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint