Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Farquharson (Read 12004 times)
LRF
Oldtimer

Farquharson
Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I just acquired this rifle. 30-40 Krag. No markings as to manufacturer at all (which according to some of the books that is not that unusual). I think the drop points are kind of cool. Tell me what you think or have questions about.....

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Re: Farquharson
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
a few more pics

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Weren't the later ones made by Francotte for the British trade? Nice rifle;-)

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
I agree with oneatatime, probably Belgian in origin, especially with no Proof Marks, they are on all British Rifles of the period or at least the Provisional Proof marks should be present. Still a nice looking rifle never the less. Cool
Harry

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Where are the proof marks usually located on the action?

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:05am
Print Post  
There should be a proof mark on the receiver ring or maybe left top side of the action -and typically another proof mark on the breech block itself.

... Joe

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:57am
Print Post  
The rifle has been rebarreled at some point in its life so all the nomenclature of the maker may have been on it. Dismounting the forearm revealed no markings on the underside of the barrel or face of the action. However the forearm has been on the gun, as is, for a longtime. I also dismounted the butt plate which I will post a picture of later today. It is stamped Germany on the inside. 
Reading the web and my books it sounds like many of these actions were made by Francotte after the patents ran out. Many were stamped "PD" and what that means is not fully known but believed to mean "Public Domain". This gun is not stamped as such at least on its outside. The only other markings are both front and rear sight are marked Lyman.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Kirton's book describes actions made by Turner in Birmingham and sold to Jeffrey's but most of them had a side lever safety.  Some of the last ones had the top mounted safety.  They were supposed to be direct copies of the original Farq when the patent dates expired. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's Francotte made action and marketed by William Evans. Roll Eyes The engraving pattern on yours looks to be about the same as on the Evans. The scallop on the back of your  action seems to match up as well.  It's also possible that the whole rifle was made in Herstal Belgium which is on the German border as your buttplate is marked Germany.
Bob

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Here is something that is kind of interesting, I have no proof other then what was on the tag when I bought the rifle. The gun had been listed, on the website, as a "Ballard - Farquharson - 30/40 Krag". That was strange what connection to a ballard???? When I received it the tag on the rifle said "Farquharson made by Ballard Rifle Company, 30/40 Krag". What do  you think of that? As you may know the apparently now defunct Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Company in Michigan had been playing with the idea of making a Farquharson, do you think this may be the rifle they owned to use as a model to make their rifle from. I bought the rifle out of Kentucky.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Lynn, 
Buschenmacher (sp) on this site would know as he was involved with Ballard in MI.  Is the barrel stamped 30-40 Krag or could it be a .303 Brit which would makes more sense? That rifle is in very nice condition.  I'm surprised there are no numbers on the action face.  Bob

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comment about a site member may having info about the Ballard connection if there is one. It doesn't add anything to the actual rifle but gun stories are always interesting I think. I hope he reads the thread and adds a comment. The barrel says "30-40". I will cast the chamber before shooting the rifle.
With regards to no marks, I am also surprised. I will at some point disassembly the rifle and maybe I will find some more information once all is bare in the open.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
The rifle easily chambers a 30-40 Krag cartridge and if I am reading the SAAMI dimensions correctly a 30-40 would not chamber in a 303 British rifle.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Here are 3 detail pictures. I share so that maybe we can further determine maker and era:
Buttplate is marked Germany and trade available in the early 20th century.
The grip cap also available to the trade in the early 2oth century. Common English scroll engaved
The last is of the cheekpiece and you can see the detail of the cut shadow line. If anything, this may stir some thoughts as to who did this detail

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:30am
Print Post  
A modern rebuild using an existing action - and not by the 'original' ballard manufacturers, but as stated by the modern company ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) with that name.
Nice one, but of course a Brit calibre would have added authenticity...  Obviously the original customer was american, hence the 30-40 chambering.
They even mention the Farq  on their website under traditional rifles, but no pic though.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have added more pictures and information can be seen at this location.
There are now developments which indicate that this rifle may have been originally built by Griffin & Howe. 
Also there are many detailed pictures of the rear sight which if I do say so myself is a gem.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I have added a lot more pictures to this thread:

I believe there is now more then enough evidence to attribute my rifle to G&H. We will never know with certainty because of the lose of the barrel serial number.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Wish I could take better pictures! This is one a friend showed me recently that he is selling. I believe it was .450 something?

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Hi Vall,
Do you know anything else about the rifle concerning its history, who made it and did the stocking, etc. 
What can be seen in the photo shows a very nice rifle for sure.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 8:01am:
Hi Vall,
Do you know anything else about the rifle concerning its history, who made it and did the stocking, etc. 
What can be seen in the photo shows a very nice rifle for sure.

I know a lot about it Lynn. It was restored and engraved by my friend Robert Evans; one of the finest engravers in the Guild. I'd have to call Bob to get details on who he used as the stock maker, but I know who did the rust bluing. 
He asked me to sell the gun for him, but I have few contacts in the arena for guns of this level and price tag. Have a bunch of pictures also, but didn't want to clutter your thread with them. Here's a better picture of the wood:

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
That is nice and I respect your concern. That gun deserves to be seen and know the details. If I were you I would start another thread and if the issue is selling then list the thread in the sell area.
Thanks for sharing. 
I did meet Bob once and I think at the guild show but I could be wrong and it was along time ago. It is when I was doing some engraving. (don't confuse my use of the term engraving as equal to the caliber of Bob's work. Smiley )

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:08pm:
That is nice and I respect your concern. That gun deserves to be seen and know the details. If I were you I would start another thread and if the issue is selling then list the thread in the sell area.
Thanks for sharing. 
I did meet Bob once and I think at the guild show but I could be wrong and it was along time ago. It is when I was doing some engraving. (don't confuse my use of the term engraving as equal to the caliber of Bob's work. Smiley )

Thanks Lynn! Bob is a great guy, and a master engraver. I own one of the first guns he ever engraved. A #4 Rolling Block that was basically a practice piece he did about 50 years ago. Always wanted him to do something on a gun for me, but it never worked out. He's done doing full restorations and big engraving jobs now. At over 90 years old he's semi retired and just does smaller jobs now.
He's tried to show me how to engrave and tells me how easy it is, but he is modest and also over estimates my abilities at my late years.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Smiley
Happens to use old guys. I wish Bob my best.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Another great rifle for the running target event Vintage cup Hopkins game farm Kennedyville MD Sept 2017. Only match in the country for vintage single shot and double rifle game guns. Single Shot stalking rifle class .

Shameless promotion !!!   Want details send me a message.

Boats

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:32pm:
LRF wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:08pm:
Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks Lynn! Bob is a great guy, and a master engraver. I own one of the first guns he ever engraved. A #4 Rolling Block that was basically a practice piece he did about 50 years ago. Always wanted him to do something on a gun for me, but it never worked out. He's done doing full restorations and big engraving jobs now. At over 90 years old he's semi retired and just does smaller jobs now.
He's tried to show me how to engrave and tells me how easy it is, but he is modest and also over estimates my abilities at my late years.

You have to be able to draw the design before you can engrave it.  If I could draw like that I'd be an engraver.  As I can only draw a cat that looks more like a cow, I'll leave the engraving to those more talented.  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Dec 30th, 2016 at 6:09pm:

You have to be able to draw the design before you can engrave it.  If I could draw like that I'd be an engraver.  As I can only draw a cat that looks more like a cow, I'll leave the engraving to those more talented.  Grin

I think you're right Chris, but Bob always tells me he can't draw, and never could. He also says stuff like, "If I can do this, anyone can."
He's way too modest, and really wrong if he thinks I can do that! I've sat down and played at his bench with his Graver tool, and it's not easy to make good looking cuts.
Bob sold me the first cartridge rifle project he engraved; a Remington #4. And even 50 years ago I can see he had more talent than I could ever have.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint